"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"

This is a discussion on "Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Brad426 63.6% of all statistics are made up. 60% of the time it works every time!...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: "Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    63.6% of all statistics are made up.
    60% of the time it works every time!
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

That is fine if someone wants to hide behind some shelves or what have you. I took an oath to protect my fellow Americans from threats both foreign and domestic. Some of us take our commitment seriously. Though I suppose I can't expect too much from the common civilian. I hope my LEOS and Millitary brothers would do the same. With that being said I also have the training that the common civilian doesn't have. Still if I was only a common civilian I believe I would still help those in harms way instead of hiding. Given that my actions wouldn't make the situation worst of course.
    GeorgiaDawg and FTG-05 like this.

If I saw someone in the process of being killed by (BGs) and did not try to help them it would be hard to live with for some time I'm afraid.
    GeorgiaDawg and Adam_SDG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    If I saw someone in the process of being killed by (BGs) and did not try to help them it would be hard to live with for some time I'm afraid.
    What about if you accidentally shot and killed a mother of three? It's a conundrum and there is no right answer (but there are lots of wrong ones, as is often the case in life).
    TX expat likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Here, just so we don't have to have all of this conversation again...

Is a stray round/casualty ever acceptable?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    What about if you accidentally shot and killed a mother of three? It's a conundrum and there is no right answer (but there are lots of wrong ones, as is often the case in life).
    Even more possible than that would be how would you know which one is the BG? Just because one person looks like the aggressor or appears to be doing the "bad guy" thing, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily the one who should be 'stopped'. Maybe you shoot and kill the guy who was in the process of being assaulted and they just happen to get the upper hand or draw a weapon when you come upon the situation. Maybe they draw a gun to protect themselves and all you see is a MWG. Even more to the point, what if someone sees you producing a firearm to defend yourself and thinks you are the BG.

It's absolutely not about 'running and hiding' as 031131 would like to simplify it down to. Protecting yourself and your family comes first. Any physical intervention past that is probably going to endanger one of those two, if not both; which is why I said that it would take a specific situation to draw me in. Intervening from a distance, calling the police and being a good witness isn't cowardly; it's smart.
    Brad426, rigel42 and Glhadiator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    That is fine if someone wants to hide behind some shelves or what have you. I took an oath to protect my fellow Americans from threats both foreign and domestic. Some of us take our commitment seriously. Though I suppose I can't expect too much from the common civilian. I hope my LEOS and Millitary brothers would do the same. With that being said I also have the training that the common civilian doesn't have. Still if I was only a common civilian I believe I would still help those in harms way instead of hiding. Given that my actions wouldn't make the situation worst of course.
    No you did not:
    defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
    Look, it is a choice folks will have to make when a situation arises. Thumping ones chest and implying they are more of a man than the next person is IMO immature. Folks want to go ahead and help their fellow man, that is great. If someone elects not too, it is their choice and should be respected.

Look, I have been through way too much for my family and I thank God I am alive today to be with them and that was "defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; ". I did what I had to do. Now I am a civilian contractor. My intent is my gfamily, my family, my family. Call me slfish. But me being dead or in jail because of a DA on steriods will not do my family any good.
    Yeah, I have heard folks say that "my wife and kids will understand why daddy needsto spend 6 years in jail and all of our savings and college funds were wiped out inlaw suits". Well, ya know what, my wife would say the same thing. But it does not put my kid through college or pay the mortgage.

Does that mean I would not help? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the situation. I think my instict would kick in but it is not my plan to do.

And this is not a military or ex military thing. Being in combat and is way different than dealing with an active shooter with a US civilian population around. So don't make it sound like the average joe civilian is less capable just because one has served in the military. It just is not so in my experience.
    TX expat, Brad426 and 19ElevenJoe like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

"Keep in mind these are people who are trained to shoot under pressure situations, not the average citizen."................. Sorry, but most officers qualify quarterly with 50 rounds....... Most of my "average citizen" friends that are shooters and much better trained than most of my Law Enforcement Bros. More misleading info from the left.
    K7lvo, CIBMike, wingryder and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Where did you find this trash?
    Your gun doesn

Some people attempt to get attention by spouting off about subjects that stir up controversy or frighten the uneducated.
    I suspect that Terry is just another one of those who is trying to make his name known by the liberal media.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    60% of the time it works every time!
    So, 40% of the time it is 60% reliable.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

The sad part in all of this is the perception that Law Enforcement are the only ones trained with firearms...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

You could do that trying to defend your self our our family... Just sayin

"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"

Yep, you're right.... But it does make me safer... That's the point.
    Brad426, rigel42, dV8r and 1 others like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    You could do that trying to defend your self our our family... Just sayin
    Of course you could. Before anyone pulls the trigger (or doesn't pull it) they have to know they can live with the consequences.
    Clint Eastwood

"Statistics - statistics - statistics" ....... Useless

In a self defense situation the action is 'up close and personal' .... in the Aurora shootout in was a 40' shot. The only break in Aurora is the guy's gun jammed. Maybe if you were in the front row with a 45 cal 1911, then you could have had an effect.

Your reaction to a shooting depends upon the situation. If a guy is walking around the restaurant and executing people, than you have no choice. If a robber sticks up a 7/11, no one is shot, and he is running out - Do you shoot? I have to imagine that any reaction will be instinctive.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links