"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer" - Page 3

"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"

This is a discussion on "Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 14% of people know you can use statistics to prove any point. Isn't it statistician? or for OAKCHAS aint it an statistician?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: "Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"

14% of people know you can use statistics to prove any point. Isn't it statistician? or for OAKCHAS aint it an statistician?
    oakchas likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"
    But I believe that my gun makes me safer and thats why I carry it. If the author wants to feel safer let him get his own protection.

Michael

"Your conceal carry gun doesn’t make me safer"-

Its not meant to make YOU safer, its meant to make ME safer.

dan

Distinguished Member
    I know a lot of LEO's and only a few of them actually have a regular range schedule... most will go through a few boxes of ammo just about the time they have to qualify.
    Don't get me wrong... I don't judge a peace officer's quality by the amount of lead he puts downrange, but the GF and I each put 300-500 rounds through our carry pistols a month and much of that is while "stress drilling", so while we may not be as "highly trained" in other areas of law enforcement, Mr. Maddens assertion that non-LEO's are inept as marksmen (and markswomen) is absurd and based in general ignorance of the subject.

.. just sayin'.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Too many anti's shooting off at the mouth (no pun intended), what we need are more 'normal' people speaking publicly in support of legal carry (aka, not Ted Nugent).

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I know a lot of LEO's and only a few of them actually have a regular range schedule... most will go through a few boxes of ammo just about the time they have to qualify.
    Don't get me wrong... I don't judge a peace officer's quality by the amount of lead he puts downrange, but the GF and I each put 300-500 rounds through our carry pistols a month and much of that is while "stress drilling", so while we may not be as "highly trained" in other areas of law enforcement, Mr. Maddens assertion that non-LEO's are inept as marksmen (and markswomen) is absurd and based in general ignorance of the subject.

.. just sayin'.
    Tell us more about your GF and the "stress drilling".
    Dutch1951 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I distrust those who build a foundation from statistics.

Anti-gun billionaires + Low info voters = Passage of Washington I-594

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Too many anti's shooting off at the mouth (no pun intended), what we need are more 'normal' people speaking publicly in support of legal carry (aka, not Ted Nugent).
    No shaved heads... No mall ninjas... no camo warriors, not even Joe Sixpack... or Joe the plumber... or Sarah Palin...

Just plain folks... Mr. And Mrs Everyman... The Gray Man... Kinda like what Oleg Volk portrays in many of his photos.

That's what I want to see, portraying CCW holders in this country.... I want to see it on TV... I want it seen by the liberals... Nice ordinary folks sitting at dinner... Armed. Just because they know it can happen anywhere at any time...
    K7lvo, Glhadiator and FTG-05 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    No shaved heads... No mall ninjas... no camo warriors, not even Joe Sixpack... or Joe the plumber... or Sarah Palin...

Just plain folks... Mr. And Mrs Everyman... The Gray Man... Kinda like what Oleg Volk portrays in many of his photos.

That's what I want to see, portraying CCW holders in this country.... I want to see it on TV... I want it seen by the liberals... Nice ordinary folks sitting at dinner... Armed. Just because they know it can happen anywhere at any time...
    Exactly.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

A few years back, I was at a chamber of commerce dinner. At our table was an soft spoken elderly gent who owns a small antique store. He's about 5'8", thin grey hair, and a bit of a paunch belly...really nice guy. Found out that he was a former Marine (long before my time), was Force Recon, and a Medal of Honor Recipient. My point is that the "average" citizen isn't always "average".
    OD* and CIBMike like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

He's right, in a sense. Past statistics during the ramp-up of an armed populace don't properly reflect what's possible. Past statistics don't show that those around us are made much safer by having a few carriers peppered here and there.

IF, however, people WERE arming themselves such that a heavy percentage of the population in public areas were armed, then absolutely it would make things far, far riskier for criminals. About the only thing a hardly-armed society has shown (via the stats so far) is that being unarmed does nothing for reducing the number of victims.

Let's get it to 90% or more citizens armed and carrying EVERYWHERE, and then we can debate whether being armed has any benefit. Until then, it's all cobbled-together spin and guesses.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    A few years back, I was at a chamber of commerce dinner. At our table was an soft spoken elderly gent who owns a small antique store. He's about 5'8", thin grey hair, and a bit of a paunch belly...really nice guy. Found out that he was a former Marine (long before my time), was Force Recon, and a Medal of Honor Recipient. My point is that the "average" citizen isn't always "average".
    Yes, many "grey men" are among us.... and they appear normal... like the average man at a business dinner..... Show me that guy on TV.... and no warcraft skeletons in his closet... and no "agenda" vett him very well... put him on the tube with his wife.... and have him talk about how precious our second amendment is... how lives are saved... etc.

put him up against the hand wringing liberal, crying "we must stop gun violence" all these people killing each other.... ya da da ya da da whine whine... Give him a voice like honey... and a demeanor like ...no one comes to mind...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Interesting to use cop shootings as comparatives. Not sure cop shooting really relate to self defense shootings.
    Another thing, I won't be shooting unless I and my family are in danger, which means my attacker will be very very close in a theatre situation.
    Also, I believe the spray and pray mentality is deeply engrained in police culture, not so much the self defense community
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I don't remember where, and I don't have time to look it up now, but I remember reading a report about how the average carrier has around double the hit percentage as police officers in self-defense shootings.

This guy compares things that don't exactly correlate. And he assumes that police are trained and normal people are not. All sorts of problems with his argument.
    Walk softly ...

Folks, I just spoke thru e mail with Mr Madden. He is not anti gun or anything like that.

I explained to him how many folks who are gun enthusiasts are actually trained and how, from my position as an LEO, are an asset to the community. I also explained that those such as you here, know, and understand the law as it pertains to you, and only carry for your SD.

He responded as an honorable gentleman and said that I gave him some things to think about that he had not considered, but also stated, ( and I agree), that the once in a while paper puncher may have shot some innocent people.

But I came away from the conversation with the impression that he is a pro gun man.
    gottabkiddin and FTG-05 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links