Interesting lessons here about shooting till you're empty

This is a discussion on Interesting lessons here about shooting till you're empty within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jury: Billings police sergeant justified in fatal shooting The SWAT SGT (SGT Mayo) was one of my instructors at the Carbine class I took this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Interesting lessons here about shooting till you're empty

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Interesting lessons here about shooting till you're empty

Jury: Billings police sergeant justified in fatal shootingThe SWAT SGT (SGT Mayo) was one of my instructors at the Carbine class I took this summer.

Lots of interesting lessons here for the discerning........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Interesting story. One of the several things that caught my eye was this statement.

"Mayo fired his .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle, striking Brandon in the shoulder and chest."

When this type of weapon is used by a civilian, it's almost always referred to as "an assault weapon".
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Wow. That's one hell of a day there.

This could have turned out badly for the officers. Fortunately this BG won't get the chance to breed anymore.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

I found it particularly interesting that both officers, flanking the bathroom door, fired into the door, at an angle. And, that none of their shots hit the suspect because he was directly behind the center of the door... The perp was very lucky there...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    If the BG had any training he wouldn't have been directly behind a door (he would have known that most doors are concelment and not cover) and he would have been shot by the officers.

This could have gone very badly for all 5 officers, I am glad that they are ok
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If the BG had any training...
    ...he might have avoided methamphetamine all-together.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    ...he might have avoided methamphetamine all-together.
    I think you have to change the word training to "upbringing"
    bigmacque likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I found it very interesting that both of the first two officers emptied thier weapons and were standing there empty when the perp stuck his gun back out the door at them............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Well, at least it ended well!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm glad all of the officers are okay

Interesting lessons indeed. Spray and pray well illustrated here.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

2 out of 7 in a hallway at what sounds like close range with an AR? Jeez.

Also, cops should have a shotgun that will hold more than 3 in the tube, I'm tired of seeing rifled hunting guns used in place of a tactical shotgun (I base this assumption off of the fact that he fired 4 shots and was reloading instead of shooting).

I read two things: One, officers should be trained better, period. Two, good guys+1, scumbags+0.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I found it very interesting that both of the first two officers emptied thier weapons and were standing there empty when the perp stuck his gun back out the door at them............
    Interesting for sure. I don't even like holding an empty gun at the range.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Also, cops should have a shotgun that will hold more than 3 in the tube, I'm tired of seeing rifled hunting guns used in place of a tactical shotgun (I base this assumption off of the fact that he fired 4 shots and was reloading instead of shooting).
    I assume that he had an 870 cruiser ready with 4 in the tube and the chamber empty. My question is why didn't he transition to his side arm once he emptied the shotgun?

Of course I don't know how I would have reacted had I been there
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links