Car Thief attempting to steal at local gun range

This is a discussion on Car Thief attempting to steal at local gun range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What is your take on this incident? Man outside gun range says he shot at burglary suspect - Houston Chronicle...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Car Thief attempting to steal at local gun range

Car Thief attempting to steal at local gun range

2. Remove Ads

What would make you think that breaking into a car at a gun range would not be life threating? Luckily in TX, you can defend your property with force.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Too few details, but if the shooter was able to get 4 rounds off into a lot of parked cars (which may or may not have had people in them) without even being certain the guy had a weapon, I'd say it was an overreaction or at least a premature reaction. All this assuming, of course, that there was an idiot trying to break into cars at the gun range. Guess I'll let you guys speculate about this one.

No mention of anything being taken from his car.....shooting at the guy while he is driving away.....gonna be iffy.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

He was shooting at the guy as he was driving away? I am not sure about this shoot. "I think he had a gun". The he shoots as the car is driving away? I looked at google maps street view, don't see how that could have been safe.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Somewhere a village is missing their idiot.
    kapnketel and FreeFalling like this.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

The owner told deputies he fired at least four shots at the stranger because it appeared he had a weapon in his hand, authorities said.

He fired at least two more shots when the burglar fled in a waiting Chrysler sedan. The man told deputies he may have struck the back window, officials said.
    Six shots and he thinks that he might have hit the rear window with one? The shooter needs to spend more time inside the range practicing.

Michael

Bad idea trying to break into cars at a gun range....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    No mention of anything being taken from his car.....shooting at the guy while he is driving away.....gonna be iffy.
    TX specific thingy-- Use of deadly force to recover property.

Morally iffy though.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    TX specific thingy-- Use of deadly force to recover property.

Morally iffy though.
    I am in Texas......shooting to recover only works at night.....this was 6pm.

And again, no mention of any property taken.

-Will Rogers

VIP Member
    I am in Texas......shooting to recover only works at night.....this was 6pm.

And again, no mention of any property taken.
    Uh, the car is his property and it was being taken; and that may have been the only way to possibly stop the theft and recover the property.

The night time limitation does appear to apply EXCEPT that a weapon in the hands of the thief turn it into an aggravated
    robbery. The commas in that section of the law count. But, I'm not entirely sure how much.

Agree it wasn't at all a smart move to shoot at the car like that.

Added later. Some of what I wrote above is wrong. See post 13 and 14 and ignore my above nonsense.
    Last edited by Hopyard; October 5th, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: To add a correction.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sounds like the thief figured not everybody takes all their guns into the gun range,every car at the range may have a gun in it,100% of the people in a gun range are armed.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, the car is his property and it was being taken; and that may have been the only way to possibly stop the theft and recover the property.

The night time limitation does appear to apply EXCEPT that a weapon in the hands of the thief turn it into an aggravated
    robbery. The commas in that section of the law count. But, I'm not entirely sure how much.

Agree it wasn't at all a smart move to shoot at the car like that.
    So, he was driving off in the guys car?
    I did not realize that from the story, I thought he caught him breaking in only.

-Will Rogers

So, he was driving off in the guys car?
    I did not realize that from the story, I thought he caught him breaking in only.
    It seems from the story the thief got away in his own or an accomplices car.
    He fired at least two more shots when the burglar fled in a waiting Chrysler sedan.
    Michael

VIP Member
    You are right. I misunderstood the story.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links