Detroit - Enter at your own risk - Page 2

Detroit - Enter at your own risk

This is a discussion on Detroit - Enter at your own risk within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Richard58 I went to DC last year to deliver some parts. Geeze I didn't know it was so bad and up around ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Detroit - Enter at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I went to DC last year to deliver some parts. Geeze I didn't know it was so bad and up around Baltimore, GOD help us all. We are in a mess now.
    I lived in downtown Baltimore for 2 years and Marylandistan for another 3... until I moved down here to Florida. I couldn't wait to get outta there! Balto is a cesspool, no doubt... Crime is out of control there...

Meanwhile The Patriot Act collects dust concerning the gangs/stick-up artists, muggers, etc., who are domestic terrorists.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I grew up outside of Detroit. They used to make shirts that said, "Detroit: where the weak are killed and eaten." I've actually heard some entrepreneurs are taking up residence, things could improve. Couldn't get much worse than it was with Kwame Kilpatrick.
    I own that t-shirt actually and wear it quite frequently.

As far as this being news... I don't think so. There's a reason I took my degree in Criminal Justice and moved to Florida. Living in the 'burbs of Detroit all of my life and seeing the kind of nonsense associated with just doing your job as Detroit Police Officer, I had to say NO Thank You! Even if you are lucky enough not to die on duty, every decision you make is somehow a media sound byte and always 'race' related. The Brass don't back their officers they feed them to the wolves. Detroit will never change because quite simply the people of Detroit don't want it to change. After all they are the ones responsible for electing these criminal hacks to their government.

If you read closely, it's a ploy by DPD to try and get Prop 2 passed here in MI. Basically it wants to rewrite the Michigan constitution guaranteeing bargaining rights for a unionized workforce. We have been inundated by these scare tactics recently by the local groups to include the teachers' unions. I won't go into politics, but I found this one to be a low blow, even by Detroit's standards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Ksgunner and Caertaker like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    If you read closely, it's a ploy by DPD to try and get Prop 2 passed here in MI. Basically it wants to rewrite the Michigan constitution guaranteeing bargaining rights for a unionized workforce. We have been inundated by these scare tactics recently by the local groups to include the teachers' unions. I won't go into politics, but I found this one to be a low blow, even by Detroit's standards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yup, absolutely correct. It doesn't really change the validity of the statement, though. My company runs routes in and out of Detroit and the surrounding cities every day. I work very hard to organize those routes to be out of the "really bad" areas before dark. Even then, I tell my guys to pay attention and to get in and out ASAP on their stops.
    Caertaker likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    A trucking company I used to drive for had a fuel stop in downtown Detroit. It was the only on in the book that advised to never fuel there at night or spend the night there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Meanwhile The Patriot Act collects dust concerning the gangs/stick-up artists, muggers, etc., who are domestic terrorists.
    Perhaps they want to test it out first (the patriot act, that is) on another, larger group of domestic terrorists... they're trying to decide which group first.... Ex military? Tea Party members? GOA? NRA? Maybe Bikers for Freedom... or well, you get the idea...

I don't want them to use the "patriot" act on anyone in this country....

Not even a towel wrapped, underwear/shoe/vest bomb wearing, AK47 toting, full on Saudi, screaming "Allah Akbar!" that they've legally wiretapped. They've done plenty of illegal tapping (and admitted to it) under the FISA Amendments Act of 2008...

Nope.... Rule of law (s) (as in passed by Congress... not un-elected Bureaucracies) ... Constitutional laws... This is AMERICA.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    60 Minutes had an episode last night about a singer in Detroit. The background in every scene consisted of nothing but decay. How bad will it get before it hits bottom?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

DaTwa is a nice place...to be FROM!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is interesting that the History Channel filmed thier show about what happens after people are gone in Detroit. There are lots of buildings that have been abandoned for over 30 years. Between that and our roads which were featured on Crumbling America as well......

Normally I carry a single stack 9mm around the Detroit subs, but when I cross south of 8 mile, I dawn the Hi-Cap .45 and spare mags.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmbrewing View Post
    It is interesting that the History Channel filmed thier show about what happens after people are gone in Detroit. There are lots of buildings that have been abandoned for over 30 years. Between that and our roads which were featured on Crumbling America as well......
    I've heard on the internet that all that's left in Detroit is animals. So the people really are gone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Honestly, the only two places I've ever been in the US, and I travel weekly, that scared the living crap out of me was Baltimore and East St Louis. In Balt, as long as you stay within the harbor area, you're okay. Nowhere in ESL is it safe, though. That place is a straight up war zone the UN won't go near.
    Detroit isn't nice, but to be honest, it's depressing, not necessarily scary. Same thing with Gary and a few other places around here. Philly has some interesting areas as well. But, ESL and Balt take the cake in my book.

I live in Ohio, and I had to go through Detroit a couple of years ago. The first time I saw it, my mouth fell open. I didn't know any place in this country looked like that, and I travel a lot. It reminded me of what Dresden, Germany, must've looked like in the spring of 1945.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Honestly, the only two places I've ever been in the US, and I travel weekly, that scared the living crap out of me was Baltimore and East St Louis. In Balt, as long as you stay within the harbor area, you're okay. Nowhere in ESL is it safe, though. That place is a straight up war zone the UN won't go near.
    Detroit isn't nice, but to be honest, it's depressing, not necessarily scary. Same thing with Gary and a few other places around here. Philly has some interesting areas as well. But, ESL and Balt take the cake in my book.
    I've lived in Baltimore city. Detroit scares me more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links