Gunfire at the mall, in the food court

This is a discussion on Gunfire at the mall, in the food court within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this mall, it is about 3 blocks from my house. Knowing the layout of it, I would have headed further into the mall. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Gunfire at the mall, in the food court

VIP Member
    I know this mall, it is about 3 blocks from my house. Knowing the layout of it, I would have headed further into the mall. While not there, I'd guess that the majority of people stampeded to the exit. Heading into the mall not only would have put you further from where they gunfire happened, but also closer to several other exits.

At least this mall is not a posted "Free Victim Zone".
    oakchas and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Well if I was in the bathroom I would've rapidly expunged any stored waste.

Outside of the bathroom, I'm getting me and mine to cover until I can figure out what is going down.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I know this mall, it is about 3 blocks from my house. Knowing the layout of it, I would have headed further into the mall. While not there, I'd guess that the majority of people stampeded to the exit. Heading into the mall not only would have put you further from where they gunfire happened, but also closer to several other exits.

At least this mall is not a posted "Free Victim Zone".
    I'm surprised it isn't. Chesterfield Town Center in Midlothian, Short Pump Town Center, and Southpark Mall in Colonial Heights are. There isn't simply a gunbuster sign, there is a "code of conduct" posted by every entrance that includes prohibition of weapons possession. Last time I was at Chesterfield Town Center there was an unarmed guard riding a Segway,... Since I moved from the greater Richmond area, the mall I've been to out here is "posted" as well. I used to run some errands about a block from where the mall is,... last time I did before moving me and the family bought a bunch of stuff at the Toys R Us you can see in the video.

Wonder what the "disagreement" was about.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    It wouldn't have happened at my mall because it is posted. /sarc
    tcox4freedom and joker1 like this.

No where did I say I would get involved, BTW.. In fact, just the opposite... but if I were in the immediate area... I'm going to try to move out of the teeming mass of bovines heading for the nearest exit... I ain't stayin behind to do anything but protect myself...

I've never run with the bulls, and I sure don't want to run with the bulls, cows, and calves that will be trampling everything and everybody in their way as they head for the nearest cattle chute/bottleneck/funnel of an exit.

I will seek cover away from the action and away from the masses... I will have my hand near my weapon in case the fracas ain't over... and as soon as I feel it is... I'll go towards another exit... away from the epicenter of the action and the tsunami of people headed for the NEAREST exit.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    If I'm at a mall then that means I'm with, at the very least, my wife &/or kids. Shooting breaks out I'm gonna hunker down or sprint to cover with the family. Bugging out in the mass panic with a heard of scard, stampeeding shoppers is not a choke-point I want to get into. I'll find and alternate exit and go that route. I believe there are times to get involved, but that ain't one of 'em IMO.

Opening fire in a mall....... just stupid and the shooter needs to be removed from society for many, many moons.
    Most businesses in the mall have a back exit that goes to an interior "service" hallway or opens directly to the outside. That would most likely be the way out I would seek in this situation.

-
    goldshellback likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRO305 View Post
    Orient, Observe, Decide, Act

Find out where the gunfire is coming from, try to see the threat, decide if I can safely escape or need to engage, then do that....
    I never have time to remember what that danged OODA stands for; I just beat feet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Find another place to eat.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Orient, Observe, Decide, Act

Find out where the gunfire is coming from, try to see the threat, decide if I can safely escape or need to engage, then do that....
    Really... 250 other people in that mall at the food court are OODA looping too...
    EVERYBODY IS OODA looping ALL THE TIME.
    The only thing we DON'T OODA loop is autonomous bodily functions... breathing, heartbeat, and some others.
    So, I'll be doing that too... But I won't call it that...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I never have time to remember what that danged OODA stands for; I just beat feet.
    I do too, OV... FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD.. To safety and cover.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I just go with instinct, or if that fails, end stink.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Exit stage left. Two idiots shooting each other over a chili dog is their issue.

If it had been a different kind of threat ... a crazy shooter scenario ... well, I'm not going to just sit there and let some nut job walk through a food court killing people. It's not in my DNA.
    joker1 and tcox4freedom like this.

This information is "sound." Most people run blindly, get trampled, etc... They don't even know where they're going. The OODA loop is a term to describe what steps a person "should" do in a situation. Not something you pickup in a 10 minute class. It's like CPR you don't do it right the first time.

To someone like yourself it may come naturally...or instinctively... But if you've been in a riot, a crowd with gunshots fired, etc... you've seen that 99% of the people just start running. They don't care or know where. Could be to safety, could be toward the guys getting shot at...they don't know they're scared.

Get off the X! My instinct and training tell me to get off the X. And if I'm not on the X, don't get on it!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

This information is "sound." Most people run blindly, get trampled, etc... They don't even know where they're going. The OODA loop is a term to describe what steps a person "should" do in a situation. Not something you pickup in a 10 minute class. It's like CPR you don't do it right the first time.

To someone like yourself it may come naturally...or instinctively... But if you've been in a riot, a crowd with gunshots fired, etc... you've seen that 99% of the people just start running. They don't care or know where. Could be to safety, could be toward the guys getting shot at...they don't know they're scared.
    DIRO305,

I know what the OODA loop is, I know it's "sound" thinking... My point is that everybody, even the panicked shoppers trampling each other to the nearest fatal funnel of an exit, are orienting, observing, deciding, and acting... The are doing it at a subconscious level... basic instinct, herd mentality... not thinking about it... like a flinch reaction gone amok... all into their legs and feets.

I dislike the term "OODA"... I really dislike "OODA loop"... reminds me of Willie Wonka and the Oompa Loompas... the OODA Loopers.

Do I have another cool "acronymistic" term for it? Nope... Does it matter? not so much.
    I also dislike color codes...

But for the record, they are both fairly accurate descriptive tools used to describe what our thought process should be.

My point is that they are thought processes. THINK! THINK! THINK! Override basic instinct... and use your noggin... Use every tool in your toolbox. If your toolbox is limited... use everything you got anyway... you can use a screwdriver to open a can of soup..

When your about to have an automobile accident... don't throw your hands up to cover your face and scream like a girl...
    Drive the vehicle until the accident is over... DRIVE THE CAR...CONTROL IT... UNTIL IT'S ALL OVER. You may avoid the accident altogether if you are lucky... You more likely will at least reduce the damage... to yourself, to the vehicle, to passengers.. etc.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links