Good or Bad? Oddly Funny

Good or Bad? Oddly Funny

This is a discussion on Good or Bad? Oddly Funny within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I am perusing my hometown paper online so I can be current in discussions with my parents when I came across this: Chevy, guard ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 4 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Good or Bad? Oddly Funny

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Good or Bad? Oddly Funny

So I am perusing my hometown paper online so I can be current in discussions with my parents when I came across this:

Chevy, guard dog, surveillance gear stolen - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Stealing the surveillance equipment is one way to avoid being on tape. Some guard dog...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

A big rib eye steak can do wonders.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Proof again you can't trust a Pit Bull.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A big rib eye steak can do wonders.
    It works on me too.

Although it sounds like an inside job where the pitbull was in on it.

I believe in dogs for security... As an early warning system... but you have to be present to hear the warning... a "junkyard dog" is supposed to guard the property... doesn't necessarily even have to warn anybody... just stop BGs from entering .. The video is supposed to capture the action (of the dog, if nothing else).

There's only two elements of a security system that should have at least three at this salvage yard...
    1. deterrent/warning (and possibly local alarm) (APBT) (check)
    2. surveillance (check)
    3. alarm (long distance) tells owner, and/or someone else about something happening in the absence of people on site. (fail)

So their security system had a "failure to communicate" it didn't tell anyone off site that something bad was happening.

Whatever security system you have, it has a weak point. The more value and importance you place on the things you are protecting, the smaller that weak point will be. It takes $$$$ to shrink that weak point.

The owner (maybe, my guess) of the Camaro was a semi professional BG... and the weak point was big enough for him to see.

I let a friend of the family have one of my dogs once as I was young and irresponsible, and it would be a good home for her... she was a Laplorian Shepherd (long haired GSD, basically). He was using her as a deterrent/guard dog as well... someone threw a nice poisoned meal over the fence for her... problem solved.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm 'kinda' with the 'inside' job line of thinking...... or at least the perp knew the owner and pooch. A pork chop, chicken leg, or Bacon and the dog was his new best friend.

Yeah, I see the ironic humor in this too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well, this is what you get for stupid. Pit bulls are NOT property guard dogs. I'm quite well aware that if I'm not home when someone breaks in, my dog may very well help them carry the fridge out the door. If a family member is home it's a whole different ball game and as Mr T says..."I pity the fool.".
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, this is what you get for stupid. Pit bulls are NOT property guard dogs. I'm quite well aware that if I'm not home when someone breaks in, my dog may very well help them carry the fridge out the door. If a family member is home it's a whole different ball game and as Mr T says..."I pity the fool.".
    You're right about that.. they are "one person" dogs, sometimes "one family" dogs... It was probably there for FEAR FACTOR... Not an unintelligent thief... knew the breed... knew to take the security system too... A rare commodity.. thieves and burglars with an IQ over their shoe size...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    I wonder if there was something really important in that car, that was worth the effort to get it back.

Because I am sure the police are going to ask the car's owner a few questions, and it is going to be listed as stolen now
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The culprit(s) either brought steak or a pretty poodle!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It works on me too.

Although it sounds like an inside job where the pitbull was in on it.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

You gotta have another dog on duty, to keep the other one honest.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links