Bad: Daylight home invasions

This is a discussion on Bad: Daylight home invasions within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...Are getting more common... Here's one where the perp shot and killed a resident on the way out; presumably after he got what he was ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By oakchas
  • 3 Post By Ksgunner

Thread: Bad: Daylight home invasions

...Are getting more common...

Here's one where the perp shot and killed a resident on the way out; presumably after he got what he was after...

Story

3:30 in the afternoon... are your kids home? What are they going to do?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Very bad and extreemly violent. I tend to lean towards the BG's possibly knew the occupants or had been caseing the home for period of time.

At 3:30 in the afternoon, my kids, and several neighbor kids are at my house with my wife.... chances are I'm at work (when I'm home and not deployed/overseas).
    That would a very bad situation..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Very bad and extreemly violent. I tend to lean towards the BG's possibly knew the occupants or had been caseing the home for period of time.

At 3:30 in the afternoon, my kids, and several neighbor kids are at my house with my wife.... chances are I'm at work (when I'm home and not deployed/overseas).
    That would a very bad situation..........
    My hope is that it would be a very bad situation for the BGs...But I don't read that from your response.

I really feel for those families who have one parent or the other deployed...

Thing is, that can be pretty common knowledge... kids tell friends at school... "my dad's overseas, in the war on terror." Neighbors know... maybe they tell some friends... "Oh, I feel so bad for Mrs. GSB, her husband's deployed and she has to take care of the kids alone..."

So, here, guys and gals...

If you know someone who is in that situation... Become FRIENDS... REAL FRIENDS... Check on those who have deployed family members... not all of 'em live on bases you know... some of 'em are reserves and National Guard... they have real, regular jobs... They live in your neighborhood... when they're not deployed...

And their spouses carry a load.. and home security is on them, too... Maybe they don't have a desire to own guns or have them around the house with youngsters about...

Well... What are you gonna do about that?

Their S.O. is off fighting for your right to keep and bear arms, serving you, our country and Constitution... and the ones they leave behind might be vulnerable... ASK what you can do to help... if you can't do what's needed... do you know someone trustworthy who can?

If the spouse doesn't want "interference" keep your distance... but, you can at least make an effort and ASK.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

This is the main reason I decided to go armed at 68 years old, It seems to me there is more and more of this going on around the country. I get plenty of range time considering I am retired and have all day to work on my skills.
    Old Sarge, miller_man and darbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    ...Are getting more common...

Here's one where the perp shot and killed a resident on the way out; presumably after he got what he was after...

Story

3:30 in the afternoon... are your kids home? What are they going to do?
    Alarm system...and 2 Rottweilers
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

We have an alarm and it's set if the kids are home alone. That and the two dogs are enough to keep the BGs away.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    If my two youngest are home alone, they have the dog to help warn, then the older one knows where the firearms are strategically placed.
    Rural area, low crime.
    They have been reminded to be vigilant and to be on guard, but to not be paranoid.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Most break ins in Orlando are happening between 10 AM and 2 PM. Not what you would think at all.

VIP Member
    Daylight home invasions are a reality. We know someone whose 10 or 11 ish y.o. kid was home alone from school
    when two men got into the house. Fortunately, the kid got out a back door to a neighbor who called the police.
    The police arrived to find the men methodically loading the contents of the house onto a truck.

Kid was lucky he got out.

Our State's penalty for burglary of a habitation at night is much more severe than it is for burglary during the day; and the
    BGs know it. They also know that it is more probable someone is home at night, that the person home is more likely
    to be an adult male, and that their chances of being shot are therefore higher. These all provide incentives
    for the petty burglar who wishes to avoid violence and extremely long jail terms to ply his trade during the day light hours.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Dogs are great alarms, but unless they have been trained as guard dogs, they may not perceive someone as a threat until it is too late. Certain tactics can disarm a "watch" dog's alert sensors. While it is good to have them, don't put all your faith in their ability to perceive and act upon on a slow escalating threat.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    My hope is that it would be a very bad situation for the BGs...But I don't read that from your response.

I really feel for those families who have one parent or the other deployed...

Thing is, that can be pretty common knowledge... kids tell friends at school... "my dad's overseas, in the war on terror." Neighbors know... maybe they tell some friends... "Oh, I feel so bad for Mrs. GSB, her husband's deployed and she has to take care of the kids alone..."

So, here, guys and gals...

If you know someone who is in that situation... Become FRIENDS... REAL FRIENDS... Check on those who have deployed family members... not all of 'em live on bases you know... some of 'em are reserves and National Guard... they have real, regular jobs... They live in your neighborhood... when they're not deployed...

And their spouses carry a load.. and home security is on them, too... Maybe they don't have a desire to own guns or have them around the house with youngsters about...

Well... What are you gonna do about that?

Their S.O. is off fighting for your right to keep and bear arms, serving you, our country and Constitution... and the ones they leave behind might be vulnerable... ASK what you can do to help... if you can't do what's needed... do you know someone trustworthy who can?

If the spouse doesn't want "interference" keep your distance... but, you can at least make an effort and ASK.
    YOU SIR HAVE SAID MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! Thank you. I AM currently deployed using my phone for this ;) cause this site is blocked at work. But my wife has 3 kids dogs and the neighborhood kids all the time. But one night she went out to the truck and turns out there were three guys casing either the truck or the house. She did not have SA cause she thought one was a neighbors kid. But good news is they bolted (leaning towards smash and grab on the truck). That happened about a month into my deployment. NOW she pays way more attention. But still no weapon. That's ok cause daddy's commin home SOON!!

She told the neighbors and the cops did a swing by. But it hits home. Imagine the worst case on that. And getting the call half way around the world :(. Please understand neighbors keeping an eye out may not have helped. Cause no one was out front. But taking care of each other is something that is happening less and less

Needless to say I'm gonna GRADUALLY ease the wife into guns. And let me tell u my 16 year old son is counting the days till we can go back to the range and have guy time.

Happened in my neighborhood about months ago. One of my worst fears since my kids are home alone after school. Always have the door locked and we have a German Shepard for the first line of defense.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

My girlfriend grew up in an area where you could leave your front door open and never worry. I grew up in an area where my family's cars were burglarized, including mine on multiple occasions.

I keep knives placed around my apartment, I wouldn't be comfortable discharging a firearm due to the proximity of the other houses, but I'd get up close and personal if someone tried to break in.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Ya know, when I'm at home, and the door bell rings, I always answer the door with a handgun at the small of my back if I'm not already carrying in a holster. I just don't go to the door unarmed anymore. I carry when I meet people from Craigslist and the like as well.

I totally agree with Oakchas. Neighbors need to help neighbors especially when the man of the house is deployed. While a lot of dogs will lick an intruder to death, some, like the German Shepherd are naturally protective of their people. Personally I travel for business and I never broadcast to anyone when I will be gone. Loose lips sink ships. I know that is not remotely close to be deployed overseas so I am not making a comparison. Just explaining what I do.

Godspeed getting home safe 84sleepjohn.

Sponsored Links