Study of Chicago Gun Crime Weapons

This is a discussion on Study of Chicago Gun Crime Weapons within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Actually pretty interesting, it seems to debunk the "straw purchaser" theory. Illinois, Indiana big source of guns used in Chicago crimes, say cops - Chicago ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By SFury

Thread: Study of Chicago Gun Crime Weapons

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Study of Chicago Gun Crime Weapons

Actually pretty interesting, it seems to debunk the "straw purchaser" theory.

Illinois, Indiana big source of guns used in Chicago crimes, say cops - Chicago Sun-Times
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

I find it amazing that a "City Wide Sting Operation" only yielded 125 guns! I wonder how much time, effort, city resources and money it took to get 125 guns off the streets.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "To combat the problem of straw purchasing, McCarthy is proposing a law that would require gun owners in Illinois to file a report with the police every time one of their firearms is stolen, transferred or sold."

(?) What straw purchase problem?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought they all came from NY guns shows, according to El Bloomberg.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    "To combat the problem of straw purchasing, McCarthy is proposing a law that would require gun owners in Illinois to file a report with the police every time one of their firearms is stolen, transferred or sold."

(?) What straw purchase problem?
    They should tax straw purchases..that would fix the non-existing problem.

See, it's not hard to think like them, just drink the better part of a six pack, so you can really be a "few cans short" ... Unload a few bricks, so your load is "a few bricks short."
    accessbob likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    I find it amazing that a "City Wide Sting Operation" only yielded 125 guns! I wonder how much time, effort, city resources and money it took to get 125 guns off the streets.
    I do too. ONLY 125 guns? That's only a blade of grass out of a football field to what's really on the streets of any major city. That's probably only 4 city blocks gun supply, if that.

Most gang members in my experiences have at least 5-10 each, including full autos.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Well, in order to levy a violence tax the guns (and boolits) have to be legaly purchased. Seems the majority of the firearms siezed were stolen. Huh, imagine that.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I really hate it when people think so poorly.
    CIBMike and accessbob like this.

My question is, what about the other guns they have seized in normal day to day work?

There should be far more data for them to use. The bias towards what they were trying to prove which led to apparently ignoring all guns seized prior to this intiative is interesting unto itself. The article shows that they were trying to prove the "straw purchase" issue was not a myth. Instead, it proves that the whole straw man farce to really be a farce.

At least for the month of August at any rate...

Seriously, who only looks at one months worth of data for a year round problem? Well, unless the truth for the other 11 months is inconvenient...
    CIBMike likes this.

94 of the 125 guns were traceable. Less than half could be traced. Uh, 94 guns out of 125 would be 75%, but maybe in Obama's world 75% is less than half. Poorly written, with an agenda to boot - what else is new with the press?

How can a group of people consistantly come up with so many wrong answers?

Put them in Chicago.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

thousands of guns used in crimes in NYC have been traced, and the great majority came from other states.

point? most gun-crimes in NYC are not committed by legal gun owners from the city or the state.

other point? most guns used in crimes in NYC are brought into our city illegally.

Links