News stories about kids being bullied

This is a discussion on News stories about kids being bullied within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry if this subject has already been brought up but I keep seeing these stories in the news about kids being bullied and the school ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By txron
  • 3 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 2 Post By pgrass101

Thread: News stories about kids being bullied

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Sorry if this subject has already been brought up but I keep seeing these stories in the news about kids being bullied and the school administrations week stance on self-defense. This zero tolerance BS just allows bullies to victimize other kids because it prevents the victim from defending themselves. I personally tell my boys that if someone tries to instigate a physical confrontation to knock the living Hell out of him and dont stop pummeling until the bully runs off or is out cold. I know that may sound overly aggressive but oh well. I'm not raising Nancy boys. On the other hand they know if they start something there'll be a world of hurt coming their way from me. I told them I will pay the fines and take vacation time to take them on a fishing trip while they serve their suspension.

I just wanted to get everyone elses take on the subject.

My father told me to fight a bully any time any where, even if you lose the fight. Thebulling will stop after that. Since we ave gone to a PC world, bullys are worse. I told my daughters the same thing my father told me. Stand up, defend yourself. If the school doesn't like that, then I will deal with the school. Bullies used to be put in their place at 4-5 yrs old, now, since we do not let the kids stand up for themselves, the bulling continues into high school. I agree with your 100%
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Well........I agree with ya for the most part.....raised 3 boys to never back down and cover each others butt always no matter what.....on the other hand, when we were in school years ago.....everybody was either gettin picked on or was doin the pickin'.....being bullied was a way of life in HS where I grew up and it made our generation tough.....IMO.......every body didn't get a trophy at the end of the game and there were winners and losers. We even had try out for little league and you had to make the team or you were told to come back and try again next year......no not everyone played.

VIP Member
    My Dad always told me if a bully is bigger use what ever means to bring him down to size I could handle. Had one in high school that was a good head taller and outweighed me by 100 pounds, introduced him to Georgia Pacific (18 inch piece of 2x2) no more bullying. Course that was 40 years ago.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    They act like bullying is a new thing, all they are doing is making it this year's keyword and another excuse for suicide.

It's crap like Facebook that makes thing different on teens these days, I'm not blaming Facebook. But back when I went to school someone might get bullied at recess, lunch, and on the buss, maybe in the hallway between classes, but it usually ended there, now it's 24/7 with texting, Facebook, etc, etc, etc.

My kids will NOT have a cell phone or Facebook (insert craze of the decade here) until they are old enough and responsible enough to handle such things.

I swear, when a girl turns 13 she's handed an iPhone and hops on Facebook to share with the world when her period is, when she's babysitting alone and when she's single/in a relationship.

the problem is not the political correctness these days, it the fact that we have police liaison officers in schools handing out assault charges when kids get in fights. it's ridiculous.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Bullying is a necessary part of growing up.
    I believe that the present policy of no tolerance is wrong. It teaches, as you correctly point out, that self-defense is never the answer. That using force is always bad regardless of the reason for using it. Would it surprise anyone if they found out that the same people in academia who imposed these laws were also against laws allowing adults to protect themselves?

The secondary danger of the policies is that they do not allow children to develop the skills needed to deal with adversity when the reach maturity. Bullying is a part of growing up and we harm children if we overly protect them from it. Instead we need to teach them how to properly deal with it.

Remember back when after an altercation between kids happened the first question asked was who started it? It taught you that there were consequences for starting trouble. Now I guess thats to much trouble. Its just easier to punish both parties.

Michael

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Oh, what's worse - it's in my workplace! We are seeing things from HR regarding bullying at the workplace, with special counseling if you feel like you are being bullied, and ways to handle it!

VIP Member
    I would have had multiple assault charges today for what I did in school. I was taught to defend myself and others who could not defend themselves. I have got into many fights with several people for doing stuff like tripping handicapped kids. One time a b-slapped a kid so hard that he started crying like a baby, and this was after he was picking on a friend who was half his size.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I wasn't bullied much at all growing up, but the one time I had it worst I gave the kid a black eye and he stopped after that.

I would teach them to use violence as a last resort, but that it is sometimes necessary to prevent them from being victims. From my experience, it's more important for them to learn when to fight back, rather than that they can or should. Once that determination has been made, though, they need to mean it.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." -T. Roosevelt
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

What GeorgiaDawg said. Much like our views, avoid it at all costs, but if it is unavoidable, do not lose.

I always knew if I got in trouble it was worse at home. The lone exception was if I was being picked on. My kids will understand this as well. I am raising my kids to protect themselves as I feel it is my responsibility as a parent. If the school gets the opportunity to disagree, I will take my kids to another district and let the money follow them. No one and I mean no one will endanger my children and punish them for self defense.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    I hit my bully with a lunch room tray in 6th grade, I was never bullied after that.....

I am trying to teach my boys to first tell someone to stop, then tell a teacher, then to hit them with the heaviest thing at hand and have the school call me before they take any action against him.
    BigJon10125 and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

When I was in high school I got jumped by a guy I thought was a friend, I didn’t even get to throw a punch. I followed the rules and went down to my school counselor and told them what happened. My reward? I got a 3 day suspension for fighting! I’m going to raise my kids to not take any nonsense from anyone and when they get in trouble like I did I’m going to jump to their defense instead of sitting back like my parents did.
    Molon Labe

My dad taught me to never start a fight. But to finish any fight someone decided to start with me.

These days bullies get away with things because everyone is supposed to be non-confrontational. Bullies are just acting out their own psychological problems that they can't handle, and their parents will flip out if anyone tries to punish or fight back against their little angel who couldn't hurt a fly.

Me personally? I ever have kids, they'll learn how to take care of bullies the right way and I'll take the heat for it if necessary.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sponsored Links