Stand your ground in Montana

This is a discussion on Stand your ground in Montana within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kalispell man won't be charged for fatally shooting lover's husband The whole situation is kinda sad: wife married to (reportedly) abusive husband, tries to leave ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By Chaplain Scott

Thread: Stand your ground in Montana

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Stand your ground in Montana

Kalispell man won't be charged for fatally shooting lover's husband

The whole situation is kinda sad: wife married to (reportedly) abusive husband, tries to leave and maybe has affair, husband attacks the "other guy" and gets shot.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow. Shooting a woman's jealous husband when you get caught having an affair with her. 'Not something that I want on my conscience.

'Something to think about when doing something that you know is wrong, whether it's legal or not. There are always unforeseen consequences.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A senseless event. While not guilty of murder, surely guilty of stupidity escalating into violence. At least the DA applied common sense to the letter of the law.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

mrm
    Ya know I go to Kalispell all the time and I fully agree with the prosecutor This guy could not get the hint that his wife was done with him and he decided to act on his (liquid courage) apparently. It is sad that it had to end this way but I forgot where the law allows you to physically attack someone who sleeps with your wife. I am glad the prosecutor has the courage to stand up to the critizism of the family who cannot accept that the husband was violent and should never have been where he was.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    While I do not condone the wife's apparent affair, her (now dead) husband's behavior in this incident tends to lend credence to her assertion that he was physically abusive--

(1) he entered another person's home;

(2) when confronted by the other man who pointed his pistol at him he advances anyway;

(3) once shot, he continues to advance towards the homeowner.

These are not entirely sane, adult nor intelligent choices. I am sorry for his family's loss, but if he hadn't been there, or had walked away, he would still be alive.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Horrible situation all around.

I keep forgetting Montana is a state. Not much interesting seems to happen there that makes national news so I never hear about it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Yup. A person known to be abusive trespasses (won't leave when told), the resident feels threatened, the trespasser is warned that violence won't be tolerated (via threat to use deadly force if need be), then he advances anyway. Putting the intimate relations aside, if you dare exert unlawful violence against another then you can expect folks to refuse you ... even if that kills you.

Sounds like the right decision by the prosecutor, at least from this vantage point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The statement from the wife that the husband "became" abusive when he found out of her relationship with the shooter is suspicious to me.
    Wouldn't any reasonable husband become angry that his wife was cheating on him?

Whats her definition of abusive?
    Whats her definition of "he began drinking too much"?

How much is too much?

I'm not discounting that the husband may have been/done all that, and that the accounts are true.
    I just hope that the wife didn't meet that special other someone, and was going to ditch the husband anyway.

Why did she drop off her boyfriend at his house and leave?
    Was this planned, and she just didn't want to gum up the investigation by being an extra set of eyes?

Hopefully the DA did his due dilligence,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links