Retired Cop Fatally Shoots Own Son, After Mistaking Him For Burglar

This is a discussion on Retired Cop Fatally Shoots Own Son, After Mistaking Him For Burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Michael Griffin, 48, was killed at his fatherís home in the 5300 block of North Delphia Avenue. His family said Griffinís father, retired Chicago Police ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By socal2310
  • 1 Post By RT

Thread: Retired Cop Fatally Shoots Own Son, After Mistaking Him For Burglar

Michael Griffin, 48, was killed at his fatherís home in the 5300 block of North Delphia Avenue. His family said Griffinís father, retired Chicago Police Detective James Griffin, mistook Michael for a burglar.

Retired Cop Fatally Shoots Own Son, After Mistaking Him For Burglar ę CBS Chicago
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Awful.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

“My brother was staying there, and last I heard they were watching the Jay Leno Show, and my dad fell asleep,” Stephen Griffin said. “And I guess he assumed my brother was at home sleeping, and when someone came in the back door, he just naturally assumed it was an intruder.”
    Oops.

Know your target. Words to live (or die) by.
    Ksgunner likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Man, wasn't it just a couple weeks ago the schoolteacher shot his son?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

OD*
    How terribly sad for the family.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Man, wasn't it just a couple weeks ago the schoolteacher shot his son?
    That was a little different. The kid was breaking into his aunt's house who lived next door, she called that dad for help, I think they were still outside, and the kid had a ski mask on and a knife in his hand. That one was totaly justified. This one is just sad, and may border on negligence, or maybe paranoia/dementia by an older retired LEO who's instincts kicked in, but not all the way.
    Walk softly ...

Assuming causes more problems than anything else,I would also be asking if the Dad had been drinking alcoholic beverages,I find it hard to believe that a former LEO is not gonna yell freeze/get on the floor or identify a target before opening fire unless there is something else going on .
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    So sad and he will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Chicago is a tough place to live. But, why didn't Ol Dad have his gun taken away from him by the Police after he retired?
    And I think the alcohol may have been a factor too!
    I thought guns were illegial in Chicago!

My Wifes Sister and Husband live there, and recently sold their house, moved into a Condo in the burbs then went and bought a Home in Pheonix to get away from the crime. Can't say as I blame them. Tried to talk into moving here to Texas, but they said we have too many guns here.
    I explained that we do have guns here, but we can never have too many. And it's legal to own and carry them here!
    She shudders at the thought of me having one on me when I go out. I just can't get them to understand!

Sad for the that Family!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Guns are no longer illegal in Chicago. The Supreme Court overturned that ban within the last year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post
    My Wifes Sister and Husband live there, and recently sold their house, moved into a Condo in the burbs then went and bought a Home in Phoenix to get away from the crime. Can't say as I blame them. Tried to talk into moving here to Texas, but they said we have too many guns here.
    So she moved to a place with constitutional carry?! Mind-boggling
    phreddy likes this.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt58 View Post

...My Wifes Sister and Husband live there, and recently sold their house, moved into a Condo in the burbs then went and bought a Home in Pheonix to get away from the crime. Can't say as I blame them. Tried to talk into moving here to Texas, but they said we have too many guns here.
    I explained that we do have guns here, but we can never have too many. And it's legal to own and carry them here!
    She shudders at the thought of me having one on me when I go out. I just can't get them to understand!

Sad for the that Family!
    I found that to be rather funny. She passed on Texas because there are too many guns there, like the people of Arizona have none? Arizona has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the country. Chances are fairly decent that she will see them eventually, so I wonder how she's going to react if she comes across someone OCing? Is it wrong that I find it hilarious when the ignorance and misconceptions of anti-gunners come back and bite them, in a harmless way of course, in the butt?
    Last edited by RT; October 22nd, 2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    phreddy likes this.

Sad, i'd drop the case let the oldman go, his punishment is the thought that he killed his son, something he will live with for the remaining of his life. I would banned him from owning of any weapons from here on period. For as long as hes alive !!! (indeffinatly).

Links