What would you do?

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I belong to a conservation organization that has an RV type campground (private members only). We have a homeowner on the a joining property who ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By gasmitty

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I belong to a conservation organization that has an RV type campground (private members only). We have a homeowner on the a joining property who has the name of Crazy T and is becoming a regular nusense. His lives in a home with no running water and no electric he comes on our property to get water. He brags about having a concealed carry permit and carries all the time. Some of our members are getting quite upset with him.

Any suggestions?
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

VIP Member
    Advise him that he is not welcome and is trespassing. Advise local LEO. Put up no trespassing sign, and photo-doc any future events when he does. Follow-up with local LEO with evidence.

If he's a permanent resident and you folks are in RVs, he's there full time and the rest of you aren't. I'd say it would be better to cultivate a friendship with the guy than to get huffy with him. But if that diesn't work, then secure the water source with a lock of some sort. If he can't get what he needs easily, chances are he'll look elsewhere.

But as long as he isn't running your well dry, then see what he can do for you all in exchange. Better a friendly nutcase/nuisance than an angry one next door.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I am not a laywer, your mileage may vary. Check into your states laws about "prescriptive easements". If he has been doing this unopposed for a certain period of time, he may have the legal right to keep doing so forever and transfer that right to his heirs or the next owner of the property.
    Example; "The easement holder possesses the right to use land owned by another person for a specific purpose. Easements are usually obtained through a written agreement, but a prescriptive easement is acquired through continuous use of another person's property, without the owner's permission, for a period of time determined by the laws of the state in which the property is located. In California, the statutory period is five years. "
    If he has breached the statutory period in your state it would be a waste of time to persue legal remedies, but if he does not know that still may be politely induced to go elsewhere, possibly through the use of barbed wire or planting brambles. If he has not earned the right of passage, he needs to be stopped, or sign an agreement that grants access for a small fee, and can be revoked at will.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

We have been friendly with Crazy T for years but over the years he has gotten progressively worse. Property is posted, a gated entrance. I guess our worry is his mental condition with his carrying a concealed weapon.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Talk to all cops with jurisdiction. Sheriff, town, state, who ever you can find.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So this isn't about the water, but his mental suitability for carrying a firearm? Your group (whoever owns the property) needs to discuss this with a lawyer as to what "legal" actions may or may not be taken and if, as mentioned above, the guy has established easement rights. I don't think he does (he has access to his property without crossing yours, right?), but that's for a legal view far over my head. You can talk with the LOEs, but in my experience, they are not a good source of legal advisement.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This seems like a situation which could easily escalate.....(as others have stated). If Crazy is upping the anti, LEO may be able to pop him with felony menacing if he tends to keep pushing the CCW. Should he get to the point of offering up any threating gestures with his carry (if indeed he is carrying).

Even then, that little arrest could give him free meals for a few days and/or give cause for saying bye bye to his permit.....Now he's REALLY pissed when he gets back.

Always better to work at "getting along" with him....if feasible.....kind of like wiping dog crap off the bottom of your boot....kicking the dog solves little!

neverenough

Is this Crazy T of the Morgantown T's? Psycho's boy?

But for real, I'd talk to a lawyer rather than the law at this point. See what your options are.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

So Crazy T is or is not a Private Member of your community or does his property simply border your RV park? Install a spigot lock on your faucets? Maybe a Trail Camera to catch him? If it's simply water he's seeking, he'll be forced elsewhere.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links