"Volunteer firefighter shoots hammer-wielding killer to halt rampage"

This is a discussion on "Volunteer firefighter shoots hammer-wielding killer to halt rampage" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Volunteer firefighter shoots hammer-wielding killer to halt rampage A volunteer firefighter then arrived on scene and drew his pistol, shooting Gilman twice in the leg. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By airslot

Thread: "Volunteer firefighter shoots hammer-wielding killer to halt rampage"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Volunteer firefighter shoots hammer-wielding killer to halt rampage

A volunteer firefighter then arrived on scene and drew his pistol, shooting Gilman twice in the leg. Although wounded, the suspect ran away on foot.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The guy with the hammer just wanted to get nailed.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Shot to wound? Interesting.

"Alter ego" rule might well have allowed him to use his weapon in a deadly force manner...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Glad the right guy got dead.

Sad that the old guy died at the hands of a homicidal maniac.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    By not putting the BG down, the firefighter could have put others in danger. The BG managed to escape and could have attacked anyone else he came upon. Good thing is it turned out OK. No one else got hurt and the firefighter didn't have to live with the death of someone by his hand. Drugs must have been a factor in the BGs behavior.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I wonder if the BG was hammered before doing all of this.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Reporter: Officer what was the name of the volunteer firefighter?

Officer: Golly geeee, I plum fergot.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    A volunteer firefighter then arrived on scene and drew his pistol, shooting Gilman twice in the leg. Although wounded, the suspect ran away on foot.
    Yup, shoot them in the leg. That will stop them every time!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    This article is weirdly written, as if it is missing details and an event time line.
    the woman saw Curry lying in the road, found out who he was and called his half-brother, Mingo County Commissioner Dave Baisden. (...) Gilman came back a short time later and parked the pickup over Curry's body. Gilman then got into a fight with Baisden, who shot his gun at the ground to scare Gilman off.
    So Baisden, the half brother, arrived on the scene and gets attacked by the hammer wielding murder and shoots at the GROUND? So was he scared off? Next, a fireman arrives on the scene and shoots the guy and the justification used is a variation of the the alter ego claim. Even as an alter ego, the threat would have had to be immediate. In other words, he couldn't have just been standing there holding the hammer at his side, staring into space; he would have had to be threatening somehow to justify the shoot, in which case the shooting would have been justified to stop a deadly threat.

Also, note the part about "got in a fight". Was deadly force in play at the time of the fight? If so, why shoot at the ground? If not, the gun shouldn't have come into play (yet).

Well that sounds like it was a cluster. Why did they call the victim's brother instead of the police? "Gee, this guy just got run over. Wait, I know his brother. I'll call him instead of the police!"

And then we have the "shoot to scare" guy, as well as the "shoot him in the leg!" guy. How many times can I use this in one post?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Well that sounds like it was a cluster. Why did they call the victim's brother instead of the police? "Gee, this guy just got run over. Wait, I know his brother. I'll call him instead of the police!"

And then we have the "shoot to scare" guy, as well as the "shoot him in the leg!" guy. How many times can I use this in one post?
    Folks do crazy thing when under pressure. I was working the midnight shift a number of years back when a co-worker received a call from his wife telling him someone was trying to break down her front door. The plant where we worked was thirty miles from his house and no, she had not called the police yet.

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; October 23rd, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I made an oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post

This is when you can bring a hammer to a gun fight and win.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

This is Mingo County West Virginia, a territory I know quite well.

Nothing surprises me about what goes on there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links