Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

This is a discussion on Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by minimalbrat No, no, no. He said they are killing people with " cheap guns ". That was just in Chicago....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    No, no, no. He said they are killing people with " cheap guns ".
    That was just in Chicago.
    FLArmadillo likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I wonder if there is a correlation with the lousy state of the economy?
    Gee, do you think? I just think that the low life have taken this 'redistribution of wealth' way too far, mentally. Bang! Time for 'Real Change'.

It would more likely be an inverse correlation - but that works for me.

You win a Cookie! (as stated by Don RicKles in Kelly's Heros)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That was just in Chicago.
    Someday, I really would like to ask Bill Clinton where people were killing each other with flash hiders, how a 10-round mag stops someone from reloading, if the pinned open stocks really made an conceivable difference, and if being able to replace your flash hider with a suppressor has ever killed anyone.

Everywhere but Chicago apparently.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Literally millions of people have dropped out of the workforce, more than have actually gotten jobs. That's a lot of people with time on their hands and less to lose.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Someday, I really would like to ask Bill Clinton where people were killing each other with flash hiders, how a 10-round mag stops someone from reloading, if the pinned open stocks really made an conceivable difference, and if being able to replace your flash hider with a suppressor has ever killed anyone.

Everywhere but Chicago apparently.
    You dare to bring up issues of what variations of idiots' missconception of what a firearm looks like makes it a deadly assault weapon? How dare you!

Every weapon is an assault weapon if you know how to really use it. For example, a real ball point pen (just have to get really close).

(this is sarcasim, I agree with your comment).
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Hopefully the NEW President will be too busy doing what he said and improving Economy and putting more people back to work.
    Hopefully, but what if whatever they try doesn't work? Do you think either of them would hesitate to crack down in that case? It could be that we've already stepped off the bridge and are only fighting over whether to hit the concrete head up or head down.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Huh. Crime causes poverty, and criminals hide in the impoverished areas they create. Makes it look like poverty causes crime.

Gov't give-away programs create a leisure class without any respect for law, and that also results in crime. It also results in a culture that does not value possessions, like homes, especially as most of the leisure class is renting or living for free. No ownership pride. So, more poverty and crime.

Poverty can cause specific types of crime, but that's just a tiny bit of the total crime problem. Food is cheaper than drugs.

Distinguished Member
    Oh, if only Denny Crane were running for POTUS

Capt Kirk for President on Vimeo
    oakchas and BaconHunter like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I struggle with what to do with this data. While certainly no expert on crime statistics I do have personal experience that many crimes go unreported and therefore uncounted. I am highly skeptical of anything I read or hear from our "free press" let alone our government. A shift in crime statistics is only significant if one believes in the integrity of the data - which I don't. Lacking the enthusiasm to dig into the data myself (and really the ability) I'll take note but won't weigh it heavily in my thought process. While I wish for a safe crime free environment or all Americans, I'm most concerned about local crime - meaning the crime of the moment. Living in the moment and practicing situational awareness regardless of my surroundings is something I can believe in. I'm sure that makes me a paranoid in many people's books but I don't think I'm alone.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Crime ( violent and property) go up in bad economic times. The opposite also occurs, during good times of economic growth the overall crime figures drop. Look at the Clinton years vs. today. It was determined by many that the " Assault Weapon Ban" did not effect the crime rate. It improved because the economy was better

NYT 10/10/2008

" The last time stocks on Wall Street fell hard, in 1987, crime was exploding, and the city saw historic highs in murders in the following years."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/ny...pagewanted=all
    Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Senior Moderator
    If our Government was as good at shutting down the illegal border crossings and dealing with the violent crimes that happen as a result of that traffic,
    as they were at reporting crime trends,
    then perhaps the violent crime rate would go down, rather than up.

Some of our border towns are beggining to resemble the ones in Mexico, where drug lords set up kingdoms and murders are the rule rather than the exception.

But,no...its too politicially incorrect for our Government Officials to even mention because the last thing they want to do is hurt someones feelings, and it doesnt look good with the elections coming up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Crime ( violent and property) go up in bad economic times. The opposite also occurs, during good times of economic growth the overall crime figures drop. Look at the Clinton years vs. today. It was determined by many that the " Assault Weapon Ban" did not effect the crime rate. It improved because the economy was better

NYT 10/10/2008

" The last time stocks on Wall Street fell hard, in 1987, crime was exploding, and the city saw historic highs in murders in the following years."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/ny...pagewanted=all
    Sent via Messenger Pigeon
    There was no way the Assault Weapons Ban could concievably had an effect on crime. The guns banned were used in less than 1% of crimes at the time. That was documented fact that was brought up during the debate on whether to pass or fail the bill.

I doubt any type of ban would be proposed and would make it past a vote in either house. As someone mentioned, look what happened after the ban was passed last time. Many of the supporters never came back into office. Politicians are nothing if not self serving. The desire to be able to defend oneself, even if people choose not to, has swung back towards allowing 2A freedom rather than restriction since the mid-90s as well.

Besides that, violent crime rates have been creeping up as all other crimes have been going down since the turn of the century. Nothing new there. The truly dangerous/desperate are the ones that are committing crimes. Most criminals don't want to die and are actually deterred by the repeated local use of force to deter their, or their friends, efforts to steal. That leaves the truly dangerous/desperate ones to commit crimes.

The data being showed proves a couple of things. One, we are actually still in a recession even if it is a rather minor one compared to others we have had. The numbers also confirm that when a recession hits, more crimes occur. It's a well documented trend. The correlation has been proven absolute.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Article about a rise in violence pops up the day after the president says he wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban?
    BINGO.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I see several reasons for the uptick in violent crime. First there are the situations of the bad economy driving desperate people to do desperate things to feed and cloth their family (a modern Jean Valjean). But I think the larger reason has been the "victimization" of part of our society. For a number of years a segment of our society has been told that their economic woes are not their fault, that the system is rigged against them by other segments of society that do not "pay their fair share" but live high on the hog. They believe they deserve a piece of the pie and they cannot get it by any normal means, so they are going to take it from the ones that do not really deserve it and/or keep them from having it. When you are given excuses for any bad behavior (his parents abused him, his dad left them as a child, he's a good boy but he hangs with the wrong crowd, etc) then you have no moral compass.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I see several reasons for the uptick in violent crime. First there are the situations of the bad economy driving desperate people to do desperate things to feed and cloth their family (a modern Jean Valjean). But I think the larger reason has been the "victimization" of part of our society. For a number of years a segment of our society has been told that their economic woes are not their fault, that the system is rigged against them by other segments of society that do not "pay their fair share" but live high on the hog.....
    um.....this has been true for decades.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; October 18th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links