Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

This is a discussion on Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Phillep Harding Huh. Crime causes poverty, and criminals hide in the impoverished areas they create. Makes it look like poverty causes crime. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Huh. Crime causes poverty, and criminals hide in the impoverished areas they create. Makes it look like poverty causes crime.

Gov't give-away programs create a leisure class without any respect for law, and that also results in crime. It also results in a culture that does not value possessions, like homes, especially as most of the leisure class is renting or living for free. No ownership pride. So, more poverty and crime.

Poverty can cause specific types of crime, but that's just a tiny bit of the total crime problem. Food is cheaper than drugs.
    poverty and a sense of hopelessness, causes crime.

poverty and a clear sense of inequality & injustice, causes crime.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    poverty and a sense of hopelessness, causes crime.

poverty and a clear sense of inequality & injustice, causes crime.
    I don't know about that. I bet a lot of those drug dealers put more money in their pockets in one night than I do in several months. I don't see the poverty there. And I grew up with a lot of poor but honest people.
    Caertaker and mg27 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know about that. I bet a lot of those drug dealers put more money in their pockets in one night than I do in several months. I don't see the poverty there. And I grew up with a lot of poor but honest people.
    So crime's a phenomenon of the rich .. ?? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    In a government report, reported in USA Today, the Justice Department's National Crime Victimization Survey shows a sharp 17% increase in violent crime which reverses a 20 year trend of lowering violent crime.

As a forum member here for a long time, I've suspected there has been a rising trend in violent crime based on the high numbers of anecdotal violence reported in this forum all the time. This just reinforces why it is prudent for people to be cognizant of crime in their area, and to take responsibility for their own protection. It also reinforces why a person who has a ccw permit should be carrying their guns at all times and not just on a part time basis.

Report: Violent crime rises sharply, reversing trend
    I have not been a member here long, but I have not been blind to what is going on either and it appears to me that there was a lot more believability and trust in what was reported by the government and by the media in the past.

So...
    The 17% increase reported is likely just another lie from this administration to be used as ammunition in restoring the "assault" weapon ban or additional taxes on ammo or stainless steel guns or just more restrictions and control of guns owned by the citizens.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    So crime's a phenomenon of the rich .. ?? ..
    Most crime (ignoring white collar) is committed by people who are not employable. When there are many jobs available, and with halfway decent enforcement, the marginally employable get jobs instead of committing crimes and the crime rate drops.

So, regulations, minimum pay requirements, mandated employer expenses, government reports about employees, etc, anything that increases employer costs per employee means fewer jobs in the US. The employer either goes out of business or, if big enough, sends the jobs overseas. Well, that's what is going on now. This is made worse by deficit spending being used to create a leisure class of parasites, no effort to control inflow of drugs and illegals willing to work for pocket change. Watch for the fedgov supporting rioters (to justify stricter laws). The deficit spending also destroys those on fixed incomes and those who have invested in something that does not increase in value during inflationary periods, and causes bracket creep in Income Tax.

I've worked many temporary jobs over the years, and noticed something "dumb" that only more recent training in accounting explained. The man in charge would often be making a total mess of inventory, or whatever. The explanation was that he was stealing or cheating the customers. Apply this at the national and global economy level, and that explains the current problems. Lack of jobs is a fall out of massive theft at the top levels, and the chaos of increased crime keeps people looking "that way" instead of looking for the thieves.

But, yes, the official crime numbers may well be manipulated for political purposes. I've made that assumption ever sense realizing that the local Mayor pushed the local news paper and the local police to claim crime numbers were whatever supported the Mayor's electoral platform.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yep, and when the next President is in office, he'll pass it with bipartisan support, just like he did as Guv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I think that is reaching too far. Hopefully the NEW President will be too busy doing what he said and improving Economy and putting more people back to work. I am sure that the other politicians remember when they tried "gun grab" last time. Didn't work out too well for them. I don't see that happening, unless the old one stays in the White House.
    He'll be too busy? Oh c'mon... regardless of who's elected it probably will get discussed... mark my words...

In fact, though I'm not voting for the man... I believe that if it were discussed by a second O term... He'd get shot down soooo fast... as a commie trying to take our guns..

Might not be that way in Mr. Gratuitous Smile's administration... It might get by with "reasonable people" "the gun folks and the anti gun folks" and we'll get to hunt snipe on every third Thursday of the month as part of the compromise... Especially if the law is attached on line 4,625 of a 10,000 line omnibus bill to do something like a tax cut (for anybody... but especially for corporate interests.)

Mark my words... there will be a discussion of it... in government.... no matter who is elected... And it has a better chance of being knocked out play completely if the same guy gets elected.... we'll all be watching him like the hawks we are... Smiley boy gets in.... we might just let some of our SA drop a notch to low yellow.... maybe.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    While I want to agree with the report, the fact that it came from the Justice Department has me wondering what political issue it is pushing. I will not trust anything coming out of the Justice Department until it gets cleaned up. There have been too many blatant poltical actions lately for the Justice department to be believed.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    He'll be too busy? Oh c'mon... regardless of who's elected it probably will get discussed... mark my words...

In fact, though I'm not voting for the man... I believe that if it were discussed by a second O term... He'd get shot down soooo fast... as a commie trying to take our guns..

Might not be that way in Mr. Gratuitous Smile's administration... It might get by with "reasonable people" "the gun folks and the anti gun folks" and we'll get to hunt snipe on every third Thursday of the month as part of the compromise... Especially if the law is attached on line 4,625 of a 10,000 line omnibus bill to do something like a tax cut (for anybody... but especially for corporate interests.)

Mark my words... there will be a discussion of it... in government.... no matter who is elected... And it has a better chance of being knocked out play completely if the same guy gets elected.... we'll all be watching him like the hawks we are... Smiley boy gets in.... we might just let some of our SA drop a notch to low yellow.... maybe.
    We always need to keep our SA up no matter who is in office.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shhhhh! I hear pgrass101 coming.
    mprp likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Shhhhh! I hear pgrass101 coming.

I have been summoned.....

Come on guys let's not argue politics, both the current administration and the previous one have said that they would sign an assault weapons ban. It will happen if it is attached to a spending/tax bill and we do not have Congressmen who will stop it there.

We can talk about the AWB but let's not mention two who must not be named
    mprp and Rock and Glock like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Pretty well put. Either way, I'm sure they will try to use the recent shooting in Aurora as justification for the ban... even though most of the rounds fired were from his shotgun and glocks.

Administrator
    A 17% increase in just "violent" crime is a fairly substantial jump. And the percentage would also be indicative of a general increase of non-violent crime. Factor in that SOME percentage of criminal activity never gets reported.

The sucking economy, unchecked immigration, early prison releases due to overcrowding, drugs, gang membership, unemployment, rising prices, the holiday season soon approaching, gradual degradation of traditional societal standards, etc...will all continue to increase the percentages of "crime" in general.

I expect the overall crime stats as well as violent crime to continue to increase.

I don't think that we are EVER going back to appreciably LOWER crime statistics.

We are already well traveled down the road to the fall of the Great EMPIRE and many of our bridges have been burnt behind us.

We can also look forward to an increase in domestic "terror" type crime such as the attempted bombing that just almost happened at the Federal Reserve which was thankfully averted by the FBI.
    pgrass101 and Rock and Glock like this.

Sadly I find it hard to believe any government report if the results of that report can be used to sway peoples opinion on votes or taxes. There have been too many reports of instances where either the numbers were changed to suit what the reporting agency wanted and not the real facts.

Michael

Administrator
    Actually I believe those stats because I can see/read of the increase in violent crime in Pittsburgh which traditionally had a very low "violent" crime rate and that increase is easily verifiable just by skimming the local newspaper and watching the local news.

It was not too very long ago that the yearly murder rate in Pittsburgh was about 3, or 4 or five. Now it's usually upwards of 100. I sure would call that an increase.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Sadly I find it hard to believe any government report if the results of that report can be used to sway peoples opinion on votes or taxes. There have been too many reports of instances where either the numbers were changed to suit what the reporting agency wanted and not the real facts.

Michael
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Actually I believe those stats because I can see/read of the increase in violent crime in Pittsburgh which traditionally had a very low "violent" crime rate and that increase is easily verifiable just by skimming the local newspaper and watching the local news.

It was not too very long ago that the yearly murder rate in Pittsburgh was about 3, or 4 or five. Now it's usually upwards of 100. I sure would call that an increase.

The overall crime stats in PGH never used to be nearly this high.

Violent - 2,873 overall - 11,853

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links