Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

This is a discussion on Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In a government report, reported in USA Today, the Justice Department's National Crime Victimization Survey shows a sharp 17% increase in violent crime which reverses ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Govt Report: Violent Crime Rises Sharply

In a government report, reported in USA Today, the Justice Department's National Crime Victimization Survey shows a sharp 17% increase in violent crime which reverses a 20 year trend of lowering violent crime.

As a forum member here for a long time, I've suspected there has been a rising trend in violent crime based on the high numbers of anecdotal violence reported in this forum all the time. This just reinforces why it is prudent for people to be cognizant of crime in their area, and to take responsibility for their own protection. It also reinforces why a person who has a ccw permit should be carrying their guns at all times and not just on a part time basis.

Report: Violent crime rises sharply, reversing trend

Quote Originally Posted by USA Today
    The violent crime rate went up 17% last year, ending a general decline in violence that began nearly 20 years ago, according to a new federal survey of crime victims.

The Justice Department's National Crime Victimization Survey also found an 11% increase in the rate of property crimes, including household burglaries and car theft.
    QKShooter likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have suspected the same thing. Just yesterday it was reported that one of four individuals that are jailed in direct relation to a murder of three middle eastern individuals of a convience store was talking to another individual(while in jail) about having the local sheriff and wife killed and kidnapping an asst. district atty's child. How d_ _ _ dumb can you get.

Going to be blamed on less police presence due to not enough money coming in. Which is true to a point. Now they are going to try and raise taxes. They need to cut excess.
    Good to be self protected.
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    If they were smart they wouldn't be in jail.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I never believed crime was down, at least not anywhere near me. Just more stat juggling. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive to claiming it's sudden up?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Loud, long, EXPLOSIVE exhale....
    Been holding my breath a long, long time... I knew it had to be going up...

Now, the antis will say, "SEE! All those guns! All those people carrying guns ! The only way to stop violent crime is to get rid of the GUNZES!"

SIGH... I honestly think it would be LOWER if the crimes thwarted (and hence, not completed) by persons using their weapons to stop crimes against them caused the crime to NOT be reported.
    thephanatik likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I wonder if there is a correlation with the lousy state of the economy?

a rise in poverty & unemployment can lead to more crime.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    We have historically seen an uptick in crime during every other major recession and during the a great Depression. I do see a reason the think that our current Not So Great Recession would be any different. Especially since long term unemployment insurance is starting to run out.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Article about a rise in violence pops up the day after the president says he wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban?
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Very sadly, I am afraid the report is likely correct. I see it in my community.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Article about a rise in violence pops up the day after the president says he wants to reinstate an assault weapons ban?
    No, no, no. He said they are killing people with " cheap guns ".
    mg27 likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Yep, and when the next President is in office, he'll pass it with bipartisan support, just like he did as Guv.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

That is a a very interesting point. I have thought that about our local little crimes.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yep, and when the next President is in office, he'll pass it with bipartisan support, just like he did as Guv.

I think that is reaching too far. Hopefully the NEW President will be too busy doing what he said and improving Economy and putting more people back to work. I am sure that the other politicians remember when they tried "gun grab" last time. Didn't work out too well for them. I don't see that happening, unless the old one stays in the White House.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links