Lucky save from...a bear

This is a discussion on Lucky save from...a bear within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just heard the story last night about an event from last year that happened to my wife's co-worker... She was out walking her dogs in ...

Thread: Lucky save from...a bear

cj [OP]

Lucky save from...a bear

Just heard the story last night about an event from last year that happened to my wife's co-worker...

She was out walking her dogs in a not-so-rural area, only to have them bound ahead of her and tangle with two balls of fur that turned out to be a pair of bear cubs. They seemed more than happy to tussle with the dogs, so she instinctively ran up to separate the brawling mass...when that sudden surreal moment of realization entered her mind: Where there are baby bears, there's going to be a big bear.

Sensibly, she screamed for help upon seeing the larger bear heading her direction. VERY luckily for her, she happened to be in front of a co-workers house whose husband apparently kept a shotgun near the door and stepped out with it, firing a shot (I believe into the air or a safe direction...trying to scare the bear rather than shoot it directly) and sending the mama bear and cubs running.

And the dogs she had always thought would protect her in such a situation? As soon as momma showed up, they were nowhere to be seen. She now takes the dogs downtown to walk them on the main street.

SO, another save that will never be reported. All the same, since I live in a similar area (i.e. not too close to the wilderness, but not too far away either!), I'd rather not have to hope that someone shows up to save me!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I was camping up in the woods this weekend and my buddies asked me what I needed with three loaded mags. "You expecting to kill a family of bears?" I laughed and told them that I brought a semi-auto rifle for a reason because I wouldn't have time to reload in a bear fight. haha

Your CCW won't help you in this position unless you got a .454 or maybe a .41 Mag. lol Glad the woman get away, though. Scary.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Your CCW won't help you in this position unless you got a .454 or maybe a .41 Mag. lol Glad the woman get away, though. Scary.
    while not ideal, it still beats using a pointy stick. Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt. saw a bear this weekend myself. A few hunters were dragging it out of the woods.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Good Story.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, it is Colorado ... where men are men, everyone's armed to the teeth, and the wildlife runs scared. Uh, except at the base of the Flatirons, where ya gotta step gingerly lest you step on the caffeinated yuppy sheep dips. I love Colorado.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

cj [OP]
    Thanks for the notes!

What I found interesting in this story was that an indirect aspect of the firearm (the report) was what stopped any attack. In watching a video just this morning (Ron Hood's 'Solo Survival'), a group of campers had a bull moose getting closer and closer to camp each day. They fired shots over its head, scaring the beast away from the site.

How many saves do firearms make where the simple presence (or noise) solves the problem? Even reading others reports, fortunately, the majority of the problems seem to be solved by simply having or drawing a firearm.

So yes, my 9mm or .45 are not the best choice for shooting a bear, but bears tend not to have ear protection and, I believe, also have pretty sensative ears. If a mad momma bear whose babies were attacked by dogs (from her perspective, anyway) is scared off by a loud sound, those options just may be adequate for a save. And as others pointed out, it beats a pointy stick!

If I made it a habit to go camping and/or hiking in bear-prone areas, I'd damn sure get myself a .454 casull revolver to carry with me. Sure beats carrying around a 12-gauge slung over your back with a mag full of slugs. :)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    << has bad feelings twards bears right now , there is a post related on the board, but for myself if my fal is not in reach i feel my 9mm ccw will do fine , its loud and critters dont like that , and penetration is pretty good with ball ( which i normaly carry out of town ) having shot a variaty of large animals i feel i can say that a hand gun of any sort is going to pretty much be equaly useless .. but hey if its an excuse to buy another gun well then go for it LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Good article on how a handgun once again potentially saved a life. I was up northern MN this weekend grouse hunting. The area I hunt in is bear country, several areas were posted as baited. I always carry my S&W 629 .44 Magnum loaded with 310 grain Garrett super hard cast Hammerhead ammo. They have been documented to bring down a Grizzley so a black bear should not be a problem. I hope I never have to find out.

By the way, I discovered the answer to that age old question, "Does a bear shxx in the woods?" The answer, yes it does. I saw the evidence myself.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; October 26th, 2006 at 04:34 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    lmao ... imho that leads to the equialy age old question of " Stepped in what ?? "
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    Thanks for the notes!

What I found interesting in this story was that an indirect aspect of the firearm (the report) was what stopped any attack. In watching a video just this morning (Ron Hood's 'Solo Survival'), a group of campers had a bull moose getting closer and closer to camp each day. They fired shots over its head, scaring the beast away from the site.

How many saves do firearms make where the simple presence (or noise) solves the problem? Even reading others reports, fortunately, the majority of the problems seem to be solved by simply having or drawing a firearm.

So yes, my 9mm or .45 are not the best choice for shooting a bear, but bears tend not to have ear protection and, I believe, also have pretty sensative ears. If a mad momma bear whose babies were attacked by dogs (from her perspective, anyway) is scared off by a loud sound, those options just may be adequate for a save. And as others pointed out, it beats a pointy stick!

10 MILIMETER

And the dogs she had always thought would protect her in such a situation? As soon as momma showed up, they were nowhere to be seen.
    Sounds like my dog

Animals are funny "people". Sometimes a loud noise will scare them off unless they are either wounded or if their babies are in trouble.

I've seen smaller animals fight to the death (and you'd be surprised that the smaller animals aren't the ones that always die) in order to save their babies.

Humans used to have the same instincts but those have been PC'ed out of us .

Wayne

I'm glad to hear that neither the humans nor the bears were injured and everyone got away safe.

I know it has to be done sometimes, but I'm always saddened when a wild animal is killed, when it's just being what it was born to be. If I come across any dangerous animals, I would try to just scare them away before resorting to lethal force.

However, I don't have any such warm-n-fuzzy feelings for criminal humans. Any of them cross me and I'll shoot to kill. There's too many humans anyway, and too many of them are trash.

Bears have showed up in our town several times. If you're out walking in an area where there are bears it makes sense to carry a firearm. Chances of you needing it are slim. However, I would rather have my firearm and not need it than to need it and not have it. If you live in this kind of artea "CARRY"! Whether it be open or concealed.

Tim

Links