Two cases of self defense in Amarillo, TX

This is a discussion on Two cases of self defense in Amarillo, TX within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an article from the Amarillo paper on two shooting that were deemed selfdefense and No-Billed by the grand jury. One a business robbery ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NMB
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By mlr1m

Thread: Two cases of self defense in Amarillo, TX

Here is an article from the Amarillo paper on two shooting that were deemed selfdefense and No-Billed by the grand jury. One a business robbery gone bad and the other a fist fite over a woman gone bad.

Self-defense incidents: Amarillo men won't face charges in fatal shootings | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Discuss

Distinguished Member
    This is in my neck of the woods. Don't remember hearing about either of these . Good to know both turned out good for the good guys.

The one about the argument-turned-shooting sounds shady to me. The other seems OK.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The one about the argument-turned-shooting sounds shady to me. The other seems OK.
    Agreed, He came outside and confronted the guy, got into a fist fight then shot him....Personally I would have stayed inside the house and called 911. If he then tried to enter the house, well, thats a different story.

Not saying it wasnt self defense, just that he could have handled it much much better.
    goldshellback and Poseidon like this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I agree with the arguement-turned-shooting fiesaco..... stay in the house and let the cops do their job.
    The second case, it sounded justified all the way.

According to FBI statistics, law enforcement reported 665 justifiable homicides in 2010. Of those, law enforcement officers justifiably killed 387 felons, and private citizens justifiably killed 278 people during the commission of a crime.
    Best statistic I've red in awhile. Wonder what the BG's count is for comparson?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Under this section of Tx Law I would think he would lose
    (d) The use of deadly force is not justified under this subchapter except as provided in Sections 9.32, 9.33, and 9.34.

(e) A person who has a right to be present at the location where the force is used, who has not provoked the person against whom the force is used, and who is not engaged in criminal activity at the time the force is used is not required to retreat before using force as described by this section.
    It sounds like he may have provoked the other guy,but it was stupid for the other guy to show up at the shooters house on the shooters motorcycle.The fact that Larson was the one that came to the shooters house and that the shooter had injuries supporting his claim that he was attacked,and that he had a legal right to be on his own property regardless if it was a smart thing to do is the reason he was no-billed,but I wouldn't plan on getting that grand jury every time
    bigdogtx likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The robber got what he asked for.

The two rednecks fighting over a woman ... well, I guess one of them got what he asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post
    The robber got what he asked for.

The two rednecks fighting over a woman ... well, I guess one of them got what he asked for.
    I suspect they both came out on the losing end.

Michael
    Hopyard likes this.

"Grand jurors in July indicted Jessica Medina, 26, and Timothy Francisco Lopez, 29, each on a murder charge, after prosecutors said they both participated with Gabriel Castillo, 26, in the home invasion at 2918 S. Highland St., prosecutors said."

I like this part of the law. The GG shoots and the BG's get the charges. That's how it works.

VIP Member
    Both sound cut and dry to me.

The guy who was dating the shooters wife just came by to antagonize him, and cause a problem.

The shooter should have let the other clown have his skanky wife, but instead wanted to play.

I agree, he may have gotten lucky with the GJ no billing him, but he still most likely was in the right.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links