Bad - Five Dead in homicide/arson - Bar Robbery gone bad

This is a discussion on Bad - Five Dead in homicide/arson - Bar Robbery gone bad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So glad my wife does not tend bar anymore. Police: 3 arrested for Denver bar killings, fire - US news | NBC News...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Bad - Five Dead in homicide/arson - Bar Robbery gone bad

They need to fry.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Very sad story, but I'm glad they were able to make some quick arrests. I live really closeby and I'm eagerly waiting for more information. Here is another article on the same shooting, this one from the Denver Post.

3 arrested in deaths of 5 at Fero's

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    All I want to say is: What the heck is going on in CO? Is that state all of a sudden trying to make the Top Ten Most dangerous Places To Live list? Seems to be an abnormal outbreak of violence in that state. Lack of oxygen affecting people?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    All I want to say is: What the heck is going on in CO? Is that state all of a sudden trying to make the Top Ten Most dangerous Places To Live list? Seems to be an abnormal outbreak of violence in that state. Lack of oxygen affecting people?
    I've been here for 3 years and I would say that its been pretty much the same the whole time. I've witnessed 2 armed robberies at gas stations in broad daylight. Also had my apartment burglarized, and I hear endless stories of cars being broken into which are backed up by plastic and duct tape covered windows. The worst part is most of these people live in "gated" communities.

I think it's bad in any larger city.

I'm originally from Chicago so I'm no stanger to violent encounters. Got mugged In the foyer of my apartment building once, had a bullet whiz by my head when I turned a corner and came across two gangs shooting it out, had someone empty a whole magazine right in front on my garden apartment, and came acroos a woman wandering down the middle of the street that had just been raped by a cab driver...and it's worse now than when I lived there.

So to me Denver isn't too bad but it does seem to be getting worse here. People are getting crazier and more desperate and it shows but it isn't just localized to Denver. It seems like more and more people are giving up even trying to be part of polite society...that's why we are all on this site and taking every step we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

I met my wife in a bar and am happy for it but I'm also glad neither of us are part of that scene anymore.

I think the move from Chicago to Denver was clearly an upgrade. More sunshine and less gun laws.

The prosecutor gave the scumbag a sweetheart plea deal for his 2008 crimes. Lewis should still be in prison.

Lewis was serving a parole term for a 2009 felony menacing case out of Jefferson County, according to Colorado Bureau of Investigation records. He had been arrested June 22, 2009, for numerous charges including assault, robbery, menacing and assaulting a police officer. The robbery count was dismissed and he was sentenced to three years in prison for menacing with a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I think the move from Chicago to Denver was clearly an upgrade. More sunshine and less gun laws.
    Got that right! Moving Florida soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    The prosecutor gave the scumbag a sweetheart plea deal for his 2008 crimes. Lewis should still be in prison.
    That's just awful! But it doesn't surprise me. I wish some of these prosecutors would see that the old saying "a tiger doesn't change it's stripes" is a saying for a reason. It's all about politics and conviction rates though. Very little to actually do with justice. Any perceived risk of losing a case and they will plea it down to nothing just to get the conviction. If its high profile or offers any kind of political gain, they will fight tooth and nail.

One of the last bars My wife worked at was filled with thugs. Prison time or "being on paper" is not a deterrent. It's like a badge of honor.

She later said her son is an artist who is expecting a baby with his fiance.
    "This is not something he would ever do," she said. Moments later, she fell sobbing into her sister's arms.
    Court records indicate that Lewis pleaded guilty to robbery charges in Jefferson County in 2008. There was no indication of a sentence being handed down in the records.
    Sounds like Mommy is in denial,apparently ROBBERY is something he has done.Why is it that it seems like everybody getting arrested has an occupation as an "ARTIST" I don't remember Rembrandt doing time
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    That's just awful! But it doesn't surprise me. I wish some of these prosecutors would see that the old saying "a tiger doesn't change it's stripes" is a saying for a reason. It's all about politics and conviction rates though. Very little to actually do with justice. Any perceived risk of losing a case and they will plea it down to nothing just to get the conviction. If its high profile or offers any kind of political gain, they will fight tooth and nail.

One of the last bars My wife worked at was filled with thugs. Prison time or "being on paper" is not a deterrent. It's like a badge of honor.
    The justice and corrections systems are so jacked up... I think the plea deals end up saving taxpayer dollars in the long run so even though the criminals back on the street faster, they are a necessary trade-off.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    The justice and corrections systems are so jacked up... I think the plea deals end up saving taxpayer dollars in the long run so even though the criminals back on the street faster, they are a necessary trade-off.
    But if we didn't fill our prisons with non-violent drug offenders we could use that saved space and those wasted tax payer dollars to keep these repeat offenders and violent scumbags where they belong. It's cheaper to treat drug addicts than it is to incarcerate them. I know it's not a perfect solution since drug addicts often are involved in other crimes to support their habits but I think it would relieve some of the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    But if we didn't fill our prisons with non-violent drug offenders we could use that saved space and those wasted tax payer dollars to keep these repeat offenders and violent scumbags where they belong. It's cheaper to treat drug addicts than it is to incarcerate them. I know it's not a perfect solution since drug addicts often are involved in other crimes to support their habits but I think it would relieve some of the pressure.
    I would like to think that the justice system already gives harsher sentances to violent criminals compared to those that aren't violent, but I'm not familiar enough to really know. The point I was trying to make about the plea deals is that they save money by not wasting time in the courtrooms.

Links