Lots of twists....

This is a discussion on Lots of twists.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going to take a while to figure this one out.... Fort Worth resident shoots burglary suspects after civilian confrontation | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wraithls1

Thread: Lots of twists....

Lots of twists....

2. Remove Ads

Then seconds later, a neighbor thinking police might be in trouble grabbed his own gun and opened fire on the suspects in their 2005 gray Ford Focus, striking both of them.
    A civilian thinking the police were in trouble goes to their aid and wounds both suspects. Will be interesting, will the good Samaritan be charged? If so will that send the wrong message to the honest citizens of the area that its never a good idea to go to the aid of police? Then again if nothing happens to him might that also send the wrong message?

Michael

VIP Member
    Seeing that it happened in Texas I suppose there's a chance that the guy will escape prosecution. He is saying the right things- he thought someone's life was in danger so he acted to protect them- all the better that he can say he thought that person was a police officer. But would a reasonable man do the same thing? This will be very interesting to watch as it unfolds.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

One of the ride-along folks jumped out of the squad car and gave pursuit.

And a neighbor open fire on the suspects because he thought the ride-along guy was an undercover LE in danger from the suspects (in their car).

With the firing on the suspects done while they were no longer engaged in apparent burglary, but instead were fleeing in their getaway car.

And it's Texas.

A nice combination of factors, there. It'll be interesting to see what the investigation documents, and what steps (if any) the DA takes in the event criminality is claimed on the part of someone other than the burglars.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmmm you have a point its sortof a win/lose lose/win situation isn't it

I want to know what these two LEOs were doing while the civilians were taking care of the criminals???

I'm glad those LEOs don't patrol my neighborhood.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I want to know what these two LEOs were doing while the civilians were taking care of the criminals???
    One was driving the civilian to the scene, so he could play at being a cop.

Seriously, though, the investigation's on the right track of treating the ejecting ride-along as an aberration that shouldn't happen. But in any situation in which a ride-along believes himself to be a wanna-be cop, it could happen. Far better to drive such folks to the academy, I suppose, than to take them on a ride-along ... but exuberant stupidity's hard to filter out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't charge the Ride-Along for something along the lines of interfering in a Police investigation or sumpin like that.
    Back when we had ride-a-longs they were given specific instructions to stay in the car they are there to observe only.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they don't charge the Ride-Along for something along the lines of interfering in a Police investigation or sumpin like that.
    Back when we had ride-a-longs they were given specific instructions to stay in the car they are there to observe only.
    The one I did,,,,,,I was told by dispatch that I COULD NOT carry during the ride. Guess this guy missed the briefing.....

Indeed this is a complicated situation. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. The article does not go into too much detail about the ride along. Could it have been a fellow officer visiting? I know when my cousin, an inspector from the Strathclyde Police Force (Glasgow area), was over visiting from Scotland; He got a ride along with an officer from our local PD. Granted, that is not too likely, though. The article is too sparse on details.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    Indeed this is a complicated situation. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. The article does not go into too much detail about the ride along. Could it have been a fellow officer visiting?
    Yeah, it's hard to believe a civilian would be jumping out on a call, like that. Could easily have been, based on the actions at the scene, but the reporting is saying he was a ride-along and the comment from the agency refers to the fact that it shouldn't have happened. Doesn't seem likely it was a visiting/undercover cop.

'could be a soldier recently back from the war? Kind of the automatic response that they would have picked up over there.
    Of course it could just be a mall ninja. Heck, since we can only speculate, he could be an intergalactic bounty hunter on holiday
    Okay, I'll shut up now
    Ksgunner likes this.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

They should be fine. The Civilian Good Guys that is! One was over exuberant and the other just came to defense of the RAL civilian being attacked by the Bad Guys with the car. Course the Ride Along will probably get his hand spanked and told he can't ride with the Officers again. But I doubt he will face any charges. If anything it will be for being able to out run the Officer. Makes you wonder which one of the Officers in the video it was doesn't it? Probably the Gray Headed one!

Fort Worth PD is pretty cool about defending yourself and others. My daughter lives real close to where this happens and it's not something you would expect in this neighborhood or part of town. The Burglary, not the Self Defense! We have many friends in the Fort Worth PD who are just shaking their head over the events, but pretty cool about it.. Now, if it had involved the Tarrant County Sheriffs Department, that would be a different thing. Those guys have a real "Me God" "You Pond Scum" attitude.
    The Cholos Neighborhoods are all South of there about 5 to 10 miles!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Links