Good, daughter shoots coyote after it attacks her elderly mother

This is a discussion on Good, daughter shoots coyote after it attacks her elderly mother within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Elderly Brevard County woman attacked by coyote...

Thread: Good, daughter shoots coyote after it attacks her elderly mother

Good, daughter shoots coyote after it attacks her elderly mother

"Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Coyotes are not to be messed with as they tend to harbor rabies. They can and do show up anywhere, and do not show fear of humans, only wariness. This happened a short ways up the road from me, a bit farther away than OP.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah, I thought that going after it with a broom was ballsy yet ill advised.
    I'm glad she had a quick reacting and observant family member near by.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

I live in the Country (Texas) and we have a coyote problem here too. Course having a dozen chickens compounds the issue for us.
    So far I have had to shoot at least one a year. I keep a shotgun with magnum pheasant loads near the back door for just such an occasion. And I carry a concealed 9MM with laser sighting at all times.

So far I've put down 6 with a firearm and one with a fast moving Dodge!

A Coyote is nothing to be shaking a broom at. Their teeth on your arm is like a touching a blender. If they are hungry they will attack anything living. Be it man, woman, child, pet or barn yard animal. I can hear them howling at night in the tree line while sitting on my porch.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I had heard there were more coyotes being spotted in the Brevard County area, but I have never seen one myself. I've seen bobcats, racoons, hogs, deer, foxes, gators and snakes (of course) and a Florida Panther once playing golf at what wasn't that heavily of a wooded area. Just shows that even these small pockets of wooded areas contain a variety of critters.

That attack was serious.
    She's only in stable condition.
    Good on her daughter for stopping further hostilities.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I live out in what use to be the country but all the farms are going faster than you can believe. Up the street a ways from us and around the corner is a trailer park. I saw one walking right through there like it owned the place. I have a fenced in back yard but I worry the darn things will jump over my fence and come after my 11 and 15 pound shih tzu's.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

jump over my fence and come after my 11 and 15 pound shih tzu's
    Dependent on the height of the fence, that is a reasonable concern. They are not alone out there at night are they?

I keep my 40-80 pound dogs in after dark due to coyotes and mountain lions.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSurfdog View Post
    Just shows that even these small pockets of wooded areas contain a variety of critters.
    Malabar, I grew up in that "town" which use to be just a dirt road, lots of critters back then. "Small pockets of wooded areas" is about all we have down here in Fla now a days, at least on the east coast. More wooded areas in the middle of the state with "Bigger Critters"
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

- Dave Gell

Links