Range safety with kids: WATCH THEM!

This is a discussion on Range safety with kids: WATCH THEM! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Public Ranges... can be full of folks who don't know the first thing about gun safety... and don't teach their kids anything they don't know... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Range safety with kids: WATCH THEM!

Public Ranges... can be full of folks who don't know the first thing about gun safety... and don't teach their kids anything they don't know... you have to watch their kids, or pack up and leave.

8 year old wandered past the firing line at a public range in Iowa...

Story here

Pray for the kid, his family, and the persons involved.
    BradL likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Definitely. Bad stuff all-around.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I was almost shot by a 10 yr old girl waving around a SR22. The father was paying very little attention to them and thank God I looked over while reloading.

That is why when I take my daughters shooting, they shoot, I load and watch. I don't plan on shooting
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

JD
    Administrator

Re: Range safety with kids: WATCH THEM!

Just heard this on the news, not the first horror story I've heard about Blackhawk Park.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think 8 years old is a little young to be taking to the range anyway. I've taught the 5yr old grandkid to just stay away from guns altogether, and will teach the 3yr old that when he's a little older, but I've always thought 10 was when you introduced them and 12 was when you let start to learn to shoot. Just my opinion.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Thoughts ...

Guns safety is everyone's problem. At a range, essentially everyone should keep an eye out just as a RSO would.

At a large private range I've frequented, they have a safety introduction in order to use the "action" portion of the range (the open bays for IPSC/IDPA competitions). IMO, an introductory safety seminar on the range's policies and pointers should be required for all newbies, exactly for the reasons made clear by this type of situation.

In this case, I'd bet that all it would have taken was any single person seeing someone wandering around unsupervised, or weaving around the stalls, or heading out in front of the shooting areas. Calling "CEASE FIRE!" isn't all that difficult, but it takes everyone being ready and willing to keep a general eye out for everyone.

Wouldn't be that difficult, either, to have a sit-down with someone who's being inattentive, unsafe or failing in the supervisory role to the point things are getting unsafe. Though, that would take everyone being apprised of the sane, sensible and required level of safety practiced by all members at that range. (Granted, public ranges are a crap shoot.)

Unknown how many people were on the range at the time, whether they had an active-duty RSO, whether they required attendance at safety seminars/overviews for all newbies, etc.

Of course, in this instance, the person who failed in his/her supervisory responsibilities was with the kid, and the kid wasn't being watched or introduced to the safety realities. Well, he's got a dose of reality now. Bummer for the kid, and condolences to all involved, but (of course) this thing didn't have to happen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

^^^
    This...

And, if you don't want to take responsibility for someone else's kid... And couldn't live with the consequences of having to witness such a tragedy... pack up and go...

Sometimes we gotta be our brother's keeper
    goldshellback likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

What a horrible accident.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

This is horrible. I do t know if I could live with myself if I was his father.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I think 8 years old is a little young to be taking to the range anyway. I've taught the 5yr old grandkid to just stay away from guns altogether, and will teach the 3yr old that when he's a little older, but I've always thought 10 was when you introduced them and 12 was when you let start to learn to shoot. Just my opinion.
    I don't teaching kids about gun saferty starts at as soon as they can understand that if they see a gun laying around they need to tell an adult.
    Telling kids to just stay away from guns is a recipe for disaster,they are curious and if they see one will very likely pick it up to see what is so mysterious about it.I was introduced to gun safety and BB guns when I was 6,I shot my first 22 at 8.
    Whenever I see people with or without kids at the range I watch them like a hawk until I determine if they are exhibiting safe gun handling and the kids aren't running around like it's a playground
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Personally, I think that as soon as your kid (or grandkid) is old enough to pay attention to you and follow your instructions they are old enough to learn proper gun handling/safety. Always with extreme supervision, however. Working as an RSO at our local range, I have seen plenty of fathers/grandfathers with their children/grandchildren. Not all of them pay the best attention. On more than one occasion they have decided to walk across the firing line. I always spot them and raise just the right amount of hell about their adult keeping a close eye on them.

Luckily this (referring to article) has never happened at our range, and I hope I can make sure it never does.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    What does the NRA's Eddie Eagle Safety program teach a kid about guns?

(Link provided above)
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I bought my daughter a BB gun for Christmas last year. She was 6 at the time. We go out together to shoot it, and we review all the rules of gun safety each time we shoot it. The number 1 priority is safety, including how to handle a weapon when someone is downrange (do not handle it). She loves shooting it, and has enjoyed learning the rules. We review the rules at times that we are not shooting, just to reinforce it.

She knows that I go shooting often, 2-3 times per month. She sees my targets, photos and videos of my shooting experiences and has been asking for a "gun she can shoot at the range." I have set some scholastic goals for her to achieve and if she attains the goals she will be earning her first .22 rifle this December. I have confidence in her level of understanding, and I am extremely cautious when we are just shooting her BB gun as I don't want her to ever be in the habit of not being mindful. When we take the .22 to the range I can guarantee you will not see an incident like I just read in that article. She is 7, and based on her understanding, ability to take direction, and my comfort in teaching/instructing her on the use of the firearm...I believe she is fully capable to continue her interest in a very safe manner.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Update:

The eight year old was shot by his 5 year old sister!

This is horrible... where were the adults supervising?

Updated story here

The video in the story is MOSTLY COMPLETELY UNRELATED
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links