And the looting begins

This is a discussion on And the looting begins within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Pythius 15 looters in a city of 8.6 million...ain't nothin' to worry about. now, if power stays out for another week, and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: And the looting begins

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    15 looters in a city of 8.6 million...ain't nothin' to worry about.

now, if power stays out for another week, and stores have no food for another week, then we got a problem.
    Only 15 were arrested. I'm sure there were more than 15 looters, probably in the hundreds or maybe even thousands... I see you're located in Queens, hopefully your home was alright.

2. Remove Ads

Looters should be shot on sight?
    Am I being a little harsh?
    zonker1986 and OD* like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Nope
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just to clarify though not applicable to the looting scenarios above.

Disaster victims who are out of food and who then take that food such as canned, jarred, pouched, goods etc. are not looters because once such items like canned goods and other food items come in contact with contaminated flood waters - those goods cannot ever be restocked onto store shelves and resold to consumers.
    While I understand your rational, and understand why someone in a crisis situation would "do what they gotta do, to survive"... I still believe it's looting.
    Consider the store owner later trying to make an insurance claim on said goods.
    Just because the items could no longer be 'resold' does not necessarily mean there is no value associated with them.
    Respectfully,
    Automatic
    QKShooter likes this.

I'm "wading in" pardon the pun.

First of all, we have a basic hardwired need to survive. However, the more "civilized" we become the more dependent upon others to provide the basic necessities such as food, water, clothing and shelter. We have little knowledge of how to be self suficient. We seldom think of how to survive when a natural disaster comes calling.

Having said that, there is not need to go ravaging for items that do not help you survive. I can see wanting food, clothing and water, but durable hard goods such as electronics, that is totally unecessary and they are taking advantage of a dire situation to acquire those things.

Them getting shot looting would be no different than getting shot during a home invasion. Simply put, don't want to take the chance of getting plugged by dad's .357 magnum, well don't loot in the first place.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; November 2nd, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Who are the looters, is it people starving or criminals ?? Did the news or police say?
    Usually the lowest elements of society. Those without any moral compass to begin with who feel entitled to others' property.
    Scramble4a5 and mg27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Then do like the cowboy movies; hang 'em from street lights with a sign around their necks that says "LOOTER".
    msgt/ret, OD*, OldVet and 1 others like this.

not a bit.........

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

OD*
    "There are four kinds of homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." ~ Ambrose Bierce
    OldVet and ANGLICO like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

back in 92 after andrew they came in the morning just hours after the storm and took records, shoes, tv's, booze, and other items from cutler ridge mall. then they starting riding the neighbor hood streets going into the homes. we grouped up and stood our ground. it took about two weeks before the military came in and closed it all down.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

nothing wrong with stealing food during a crisis, if you are hungry.
    And nothing wrong with protecting one's own family's ability to live, via protecting the resources they're depending upon from predation ... using whatever force is required to repel invaders, looters.

In a desert, life gets pretty simple when someone's trying to steal one's horse.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    A good point also but, I personally would place desperate human beings not starving to death on a slightly higher plane than an insurance claim.
    But, your rational is (of course) also a valid one. Not certain that it will change the reality of what usually happens when folks have noting to eat.
    Though they could always just eat their children and just have more kids later on after the crisis is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Automatic View Post
    While I understand your rational, and understand why someone in a crisis situation would "do what they gotta do, to survive"... I still believe it's looting.
    Consider the store owner later trying to make an insurance claim on said goods.
    Just because the items could no longer be 'resold' does not necessarily mean there is no value associated with them.
    Respectfully,
    Automatic
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Though they could always just eat their children and just have more kids later on after the crisis is over.
    That's the theory I live by!

Seriously though, I think when we talk about looting we're talking about stealing non-essentials and luxury items. Unless we have a nuclear event or something like that I doubt any of us will ever be in the situation where we have to steal food to survive. By survive I mean going without food for weeks at a time. As long as we have water we can live off our body fat for quite awhile...or off of very small amounts of food. It's just that we're used to thinking we're starving if there are no "all you can eat buffets" available.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Then do like the cowboy movies; hang 'em from street lights with a sign around their necks that says "LOOTER".
    Great. Now I have to call the power company and request a street light be installed. This SHTF preparedness is starting to get expensive.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

nothing wrong with stealing food during a crisis, if you are hungry.

hell, folks should give it away.
    Total lack of personal responsibilty!!! Everybody should have a portable propane stove with beans,rice, and water storage.

People choose to spend $$$ on nonesentials like cells phones and cable TV. I have neither of those luxerys but instead have choose to stock up on over 2000lbs of food and another 2000lbs of ammo. Im not giving it away and try to come and take it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links