And the looting begins - Page 5

And the looting begins

This is a discussion on And the looting begins within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter My Mother In Law does. She has it on 20 hours a day. The problem with my mother-in-law is that she's ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: And the looting begins

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My Mother In Law does. She has it on 20 hours a day.
    The problem with my mother-in-law is that she's on 20 hours a day.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Originally Posted by F350
    Then do like the cowboy movies; hang 'em from street lights with a sign around their necks that says "LOOTER".
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Great. Now I have to call the power company and request a street light be installed. This SHTF preparedness is starting to get expensive.
    Well, a regular utility pole will due, but if there is still power it can get a bit risky, large trees work too, preferably at the entrance to to your neighborhood.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Well, a regular utility pole will due, but if there is still power it can get a bit risky, large trees work too, preferably at the entrance to to your neighborhood.
    The regular utility pole is too far to drag the body. Need something closer. It's tough to hang someone from a palm tree: No limbs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What I have seen in past events most of the looting has nothing to do with getting things necessary for survival, its criminals taking advantage of a horrible situation for personal gain.

After Hurricane Andrew, it was 2 weeks after the storm when a van pulled up to my inlaws home and masked gunmen jumped out, one firing a shot into the house over my fil's head. They were there with the insurance adjuster, inspecting the home which was destroyed. They'd been lucky to have survived the storm itself, they'd ridden out the storm in the house. My mil had been in a daze, picking up scattered Legos from the yard, as if her now grown son would haven any use for them, the looters of course didn't know what she had in the box she was holding, but I really don't believe it mattered to them. I don't believe they were looking for food or water or anything else like that - I believe they were trying to get anything of value from people who had been devastated, derelects taking advantage of a horrible situation. My fil was one of many who had a "loot n shoot" sign on his home - in his case it wasn't a deterrant. He did in fact shoot back, dropping the one who fired a shot at him, he later died at the hospital. The others immedietly jumped back in the van and took off. They were later caught and tried for their accomplice's death. My thoughts and prayers are with those involved up north, it takes a long time to get back to normal after an event like this and the risk of looters will be there throughout the recovery process.
    MrsHB, msgt/ret and awoodpd13 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    What I have seen in past events most of the looting has nothing to do with getting things necessary for survival, its criminals taking advantage of a horrible situation for personal gain.
    Lish, what a horrifying thing to have happen. People like that are just evil through and through. I'm glad your FIL shot that one thug but I'm sure it's something he didn't want to do and still haunts him. Good people don't like to shoot and kill others. In this case he had no other option because they may have been killed instead.
    I agree that looters aren't interested in bread and milk to feed their starving families.

Reading about your MIL wandering around the lawn picking up Legos made me tear up...so traumatic for her.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The regular utility pole is too far to drag the body. Need something closer. It's tough to hang someone from a palm tree: No limbs.
    Final option: Pile 'em "this" high and us 'em for sandbags to barricade the street (to paraphrase Walt Kowalski)
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    As for looters, I suggest all store owners buy a shotgun and blow the heads off anyone who dares to try to rob or loot their stores.

Now, would I as a gun owners be allowed to make a citizen's arrest of looters who were trying to rob a store in my neighborhood? I don't know, as that would require me to take my gun out of my apartment and into the street, which would be illegal.

But hopefully the Jury would let me go free..as I would be doing a good deed.

I'm ALL ABOUT Jury nullification, when it comes to honest citizens using their legally-owned firearms in a responsible manner.

In the state of NY you can NOT blow the head off of a looter, for stealing property. It's my opinion these so called looters are the same mutt's who would be out stealing anyway... They just modified their M/O.

JNC
    My .02 cents- stealing is stealing.

If you are facing starvation, then I suspect you will do what you have to do to put food on the table; however, stealing is stealing. Plan ahead. There were days notice this storm was headed to NY/NJ. If you are starving and have to take something that doesn't belong to you, then own your action.

Quote Originally Posted by JNC View Post
    My .02 cents- stealing is stealing.

If you are facing starvation, then I suspect you will do what you have to do to put food on the table ...
    As will those being forced to face starvation by those attempting the stealing, in such situations. Hence the shootable offense. In dire circumstances, theft of water/food/shelter can become as critical to survival as thieving a person's horse or water in the desert. Which raises "mere" thieving to a whole new ball game.

Put simply: Wanna take my remaining potable water from my child? Over your dead body ... that's the only way it's gonna happen.
    msgt/ret, ANGLICO and JNC like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links