And the looting begins

And the looting begins

This is a discussion on And the looting begins within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We obviously hoped that this would not happen, but there will always be deviants in society. Reports of looting and people taking advantage of a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: And the looting begins

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

And the looting begins

We obviously hoped that this would not happen, but there will always be deviants in society. Reports of looting and people taking advantage of a terrible sittuation are starting to come in. Different reports are coming in with different numbers. 9 here, 13 there, robbing homes, stores, banks, restraunts, laundromats. It's disgusting.

Anyone over there, be carefull, I guess some "crews" are posing as utility workers, and then holding people up.

Let's hope the police and national guard can keep order. Keep safe if you are over there.

Looters raid stores and homes including some who pose as Con Ed workers to rob their victims in aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in New York City - NYPOST.com

Hurricane Sandy Looting, Fights Plague South Brooklyn (PHOTOS)

Looting Fears Persist as Much of City Remains in Dark | NBC New York

Superstorm Sandy swipers: New York homes and businesses hit by looters — RT

Looting Arrests Made - WSJ.com
    Walk softly ...

I'm surprised no one's been confiscating legal guns like they did during Katrina.

Times like this are why you don't trust the authorities to keep your safe, or other people to act civilized.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I never considered handbags and big screen TVs as essential to survival. I wouldn't shoot anyone for taking a loaf of bread (ask me; I'll probably give it to you and a jar of peanut butter to boot), but leave the high-end goodies alone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I'm surprised no one's been confiscating legal guns like they did during Katrina.

Times like this are why you don't trust the authorities to keep your safe, or other people to act civilized.
    new york city, no legal guns there to confiscate according to bloomberg.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    This is NYC there are no legal guns in the hands of private citizens
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    That was my exact thought when I read that statement also.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I was talking about NJ as I had been looking at pictures of NJ residents with "YOU LOOT I SHOOT" signs.

As far as I know you can still get a gun in NYC, just not easily. They still have gun stores even.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    A new "constants in the universe" list.

1) Death
    2) Taxes
    3) looting after a natural disaster.

JoJoGunn and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

How can supossed intelligent people think that now allowing law abiding citizens to have firearms is a smart thing to do. I'll tell what I think, I think that its all about trying to make people feel like little children, Like in the case of limiting how much soda you can have, its a form of psychology to make people feel small and they want all power.. People must be able to protect their family. They want us to rely on Govt for everything, I know the storm was bad, but some of the mayors talk to the people like they're in 3rd grade.
    ducatirider likes this.

It's called the nanny state. And the American people have allowed it by not voting out our ruling class of senators and congressmen as well as mayors. We need term and lobby limits...

On topic, I saw the sign in NJ that said "please loot, we like to shoot" on the fox Internet page.

I've been trying to find stories of looting outside NYC related to this storm, but there aren't any...

I do not beleive looting has to do with folks having guns or not. If that is the arguement look at disasters around the world where there was little looting after a disaster and thier was strict gun control. There are also places that had huge amounts of looting. Even the same area can have different experiences with looters depending when it happened.
    ..from the 1970s to the present day there have been occasional large-scale community crises after which researchers studied mass looting. One was the 1977 New York City blackout during which selective neighborhoods experienced massive looting illustrating the distinctive conflict situation pattern found in the 1960s. However, before “obvious” implications are drawn, one should note that similar blackouts in 1968 and in 2003 did not generate mass looting.
    I find this interesting. It happened during the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 (BTW: very few gun control laws at the time and the mayor felt he had to issue this statement):
    Following the disaster, democracy disappeared; city and military officials took extreme action to control the chaos that enveloped San Francisco. Mayor Schmitz issued his infamous proclamation: an all-city curfew to expand police power to "shoot to kill" any looters.
    Many times looters do not loot in places that have not been evacuated also. So tying in gun laws and looting is not neccesrily an easy thing to do.

It is prudent to be aware of the possibility of looters but for the most part folks do come together and help each other out in their local communities.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Who are the looters, is it people starving or criminals ?? Did the news or police say?
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links