How did this happen? - Page 2

How did this happen?

This is a discussion on How did this happen? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 You never know when an angry jock strap may just reach out and pull the trigger. Ewuuuuuugh!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How did this happen?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    You never know when an angry jock strap may just reach out and pull the trigger.
    Ewuuuuuugh!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Why in God's Green Earth, was he carrying it in a bag? Why not wear it, in a holster? That's what holsters are for.

I think the only time a loaded gun should not be in a holster is when it is being fired. Oh wait it was. Guess it ok then.

I agree this doesn't pass the "smell" test! The "evil" gun just went off when something "bumped" against the bag. Yah, right! Reminds me of all the stories of "evil" guns that just went off while someone was "cleaning" them! When I was a kid, and learned to "clean" guns way back in the 50's, the FIRST thing I learned to do was to ensure the gun was unloaded! In fact, I was taught to check EVERY time I picked up a gun to see if it was loaded or unloaded! I don't know how you can possiblly "clean" a loaded gun. Nor do I know how a gun can "just go off" by itself when inside a bag that gets bumped! But gee, that sounds like a better "excuse" than saying, "I made a stupid mistake!"
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

McRainey had the .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun packed in a bag that he uses to transport it, the release said. He had put the bag in his vehicle and was getting inside the vehicle when another item in the bag apparently hit the gun, causing it to fire.
    No indication of whether it was holstered or secured in a bag designed to hold firearms securely, or freely bouncing around inside a general bag.

A single-handgun bag (rug) or a multi-gun range bag is about the only way I'll carry them, unless holstered. For exactly this sort of reason ... assuming failure to do this was indeed what caused this ND.

Condolences to the officer. Hopefully the injury will heal soon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Put it in a bag ?!? I'm with the "sumptin' is being left outta this story" crowd.

Another reason I fear 'purse carry' like that as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

When I saw this headline I thought, "It happened in North Dakota too?" But once I saw Cumberland Co. I knew it was a typo. I already posted this here:

How did this happen?

Oops, I meant to post this at the duplicate thread which said ND instead of NC. Doesn't make much sense here!
    Last edited by dbglock; November 1st, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

I believe the LEO,they would never lie,especially somebody with the rank of Major
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'll bet money the gun was not properly secured in a holstered. If so... It is negligence. Even a Glock doesn't just go off. Something pulled that trigger. And most likely it indicates the weapon was not properly secured. Its sad that an incedent like this only reinforces some to believe guns just go off. It should be an example that guns go off when not secured properly or handled negligently. Plain and simple. However I doubt most the people the hear that story will hear the truth. Regardless at the least.... Hopefully the guy will learn his lesson and have a fast recovery.

If guns "just go off", mine must be defective. Okay, so people who have no clue about firearms might buy this load of crap, but his co-workers (and others with knowledge of firearms) sure ain't buying what he's selling. Usually when an LEO is killed while cleaning his handgun, I assume it was suicide and it's being passed called an accident for the family's sake but this... is a new twist.

Why admit to being human and making a mistake/getting complacent when you can just make the sheep believe even more so that guns are evil, have a mind of their own, and just go off when they feel unloved.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It is a Glock, they are known to fire by themselves!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links