Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it - Page 7

Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it

This is a discussion on Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Just so you know...I like "vigilante justice". It's better than NO justice. The dude that got caught was a bank robber. ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Just so you know...I like "vigilante justice". It's better than NO justice.

The dude that got caught was a bank robber. I really don't care how he got caught, I like the fact that he got caught.

However, in this case there was no "vigilante justice". He committed a crime, a felony crime at that, so the citizen was well within his rights to apprehend, at gunpoint if necessary and detain him.

I'm just glad that someone had the guts to do what it took. People like that are in the precious minority these days.

You're feeeeeeling bad that a bank robber got took down and you dont like the way it happened ? WOW.
    Just WOW.

Sometimes crime gets ugly. Thats just the way it is.
    Yup. That about sums it up.

On the "vigilante" part, I don't believe anyone is suggesting that you walk up to a criminal after he committed a crime and shoot him in the face. As far as detaining him until police arrive, that's up to you, but I wouldn't fault someone for it. He very easily could have pulled out of the parking lot and escaped as the cops were pulling in. Wouldn't be the first time someone got away like that.

good: Bank robber gets nabbed

Bank pres. gets robber

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Didn't see this was already done
    "It's better to avoid than to run, better to run than to de-escalate, better to de-escalate than to fight, better to fight than to die." ~ Rory Miller in _Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected_
    By way of Cornered Cat

The more people like this bank owner the "less crime" if I was that bank robber I would never rob that bank again, if I were to rob another bank instead I would think twice....No more than twice excuse me.... Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup.

And the simple fact is, we're still citizens in the USA, not subjects. Given the current political climate and attitudes of many, such action is often taken as vigilantism. But a citizen has every right to protect life and limb in dire circumstances. According to the statutes, it generally comes down to "reasonableness" of the actions and the imminence (or likely continuance) of the threat. As well as (all too often, IMO) the zealotry displayed by the local DA.
    I'm not sure many would disagree if he was protecting life and limb, but he wasn't so that's where the issue comes in.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

Oh oh!! Cavejohnson your calling out the high generals now. Lol. Im out of here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dont feel too bad, most people dont know their state laws and how it deals with BG's.
    One can only teach so much in a day. Lots of people go on informational overload when going through Concealed Handgun training and have a hard time retaining what they ought to know.
    Too bad so much of the information is on extraneous info like types of holsters, gun cleaning, types of handguns/actions, etc. All that should be in a totally separate class/researched by individuals on their own (at least in MO, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    The statute still says "subject to the limitations of subsection 3", but I'm so confused by the formatting that I can't figure out what subsection 3 is. So if that means that by some limitation, this man was still not in his rights, I'm not sure. If not, then I guess that changes this whole situation for me.
    Didn't notice all the "3's" in my editing, sorry - follow tacman's link to revised statute 593 to read the whole thing. The limitations are a list of fairly specific situations when a person is justified using lethal force in performing a citizen's arrest; two of those are 1) capturing/detaining someone who has committed a Class A felony or murder or 2) escaping thru use of a deadly weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    I'm not sure many would disagree if he was protecting life and limb, but he wasn't so that's where the issue comes in.
    Which is where stopping fleeing violent felons comes in. Which is where stopping extreme property loss comes in. Many states support these things as completely lawful, via their statutes. Either way, IMO it's completely justifiable regardless. It just might not be advisable, given the risks. To each his own, realizing all the risks (physical, legal, stigma).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Apparently the door was emblazoned with a sign that declared they were a "concealed carry" bank, with a nice big gun emblem.

....Weird? The opposite of a gunbuster sign. Kinda defeats the purpose of "concealed", no?
    Yep kinda blows the theory out the window that places that welcome firearms are any safer than those that ban them. As I said before it is the intent of the bad guy and how badly he wants to do what he wants to do no matter what the sign on the door says.
    wdbailey likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I see the answer to that issue being in how PC you are and your outlook at life and what is important in life. Myself I see the stealing of money or property as stealing life. For part of my life is in that money and property, therefore he is stealing part of my life. But most DA's don't see it that way.
    Miamieddie likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Yep kinda blows the theory out the window that places that welcome firearms are any safer than those that ban them. As I said before it is the intent of the bad guy and how badly he wants to do what he wants to do no matter what the sign on the door says.
    Isolated exceptions to a general theory do not in and of themselves disprove the theory, nor do the intentions, actions and mental state of one bad guy demonstrate those of all bad guys.
    Last edited by Mike1956; November 2nd, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Ransom likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    tac, the safety is not in the sign, your safety still fall on you and what you can and will do to stay safe. Your safety rest on your shoulders not anyone else or thing.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    Another point of discussion:

Apparently the door was emblazoned with a sign that declared they were a "concealed carry" bank, with a nice big gun emblem.

....Weird? The opposite of a gunbuster sign. Kinda defeats the purpose of "concealed", no?
    Sign or no sign, people cannot tell I am carrying.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    The protection of life and limb isn't the legal issue in this particular case, but rather the apprehension of a known dangerous felon.
    Miamieddie likes this.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You know, I don't care who catches criminals as long, as they get caught!
    OD* and Miamieddie like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links