Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it

This is a discussion on Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by CaveJohnson The fact that he left the scene is totally relevant. Yes, he was a known felon who fled the scene of ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 164
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Bank owner celebrated for "catching the bad guy" - not sure how I feel about it

  1. #121
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    The fact that he left the scene is totally relevant.
    Yes, he was a known felon who fled the scene of his crime.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #122
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, he was a known felon who fled the scene of his crime.
    ...and pursuing isn't exactly the smartest move when the bank manager didn't know what he was getting into. Further, his reasoning for following is a little too trigger happy.

  4. #123
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    His OODA loop was sound. I, too suspect his actions may have been different if it had been the North Hollywood pair leaving his bank instead of a middle-aged, confused man.
    Hindsight: He did not know when he decided to after the man who he was or what his demeanor was. He only noticed how he walked after he made the decision to leae the bank after "he was mad". Just turned out OK for him.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  5. #124
    Member Array Miamieddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Miami,Fl.
    Posts
    225
    Cavejohnson if you were to pull up to your home one day and watched a van leaving your property with all your hard earned property you dont know if his gun is real or not, would you let them leave with your belongings and call 911 and hope the pd catches them??? ..... Yes..... Not me !!! Ive worked to hard for a thug to clean me out in minutes, I feel greatly violated, its a bad feeling, Bg are very smart most of them that is , they will use our laws and turn it around against us, I do under stand that, but i dont see where the bank owner did that was so bad, he stopped a felon without deadly ending!! The proplem with many good intention semaritan is when a good guy becomes a "hero" people are so quick to judge, find flaws i guess it in there nature..... Eddie

  6. #125
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Cavejohnson if you were to pull up to your home one day and watched a van leaving your property with all your hard earned property you dont know if his gun is real or not, would you let them leave with your belongings and call 911 and hope the pd catches them??? ..... Yes..... Not me !!! Ive worked to hard for a thug to clean me out in minutes, I feel greatly violated, its a bad feeling, Bg are very smart most of them that is , they will use our laws and turn it around against us, I do under stand that, but i dont see where the bank owner did that was so bad, he stopped a felon without deadly ending!! The proplem with many good intention semaritan is when a good guy becomes a "hero" people are so quick to judge, find flaws i guess it in there nature..... Eddie
    The point is, he's lucky it WASN'T deadly and this isn't analogous to a house robbery. The money taken from a bank is replaced easily.

    If someone steals my TV, I'm not pulling out my gun and chasing them down. I can't do that in my state anyway I'm pretty sure. Had the guy still been in the bank and was threatening the employees, that's one thing. He had left.

  7. #126
    Member Array Miamieddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Miami,Fl.
    Posts
    225
    When someone wins against a bad guy i wish people stop calling him a cop wanna be i HATE that(i cant stand haters).... Eddie

  8. #127
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    ...and pursuing isn't exactly the smartest move when the bank manager didn't know what he was getting into. Further, his reasoning for following is a little too trigger happy.
    " isn't exactly the smartest move", "too trigger happy" and "didn't know what he was getting into" are all personal value calls, not legalities, or in this particular instance, even realities.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  9. #128
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    " isn't exactly the smartest move", "too trigger happy" and "didn't know what he was getting into" are all personal value calls, not legalities, or in this particular instance, even realities.
    So? That's what I've been talking about the entire time, my opinion of what went down. We're relying on a very incomplete picture from a news article.

    I remember when I worked at Target and the head of security pursued a thief, the guy cut himself and the security guy because he had AIDS, he tried to infect him. Luckily he didn't get it, but it was numerous blood tests and such to find that out in the meantime.

    If someone takes material goods that don't mean all that much, most people would be smart to not pursue.

  10. #129
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    The point is, he's lucky it WASN'T deadly and this isn't analogous to a house robbery. The money taken from a bank is replaced easily.

    If someone steals my TV, I'm not pulling out my gun and chasing them down. I can't do that in my state anyway I'm pretty sure. Had the guy still been in the bank and was threatening the employees, that's one thing. He had left.
    You are confusing your point with the point. What you do in a particular set of circumstances is your choice. "Pretty sure" is a long way from a sound basis in fact.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  11. #130
    Member Array Miamieddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Miami,Fl.
    Posts
    225
    Topic above doesnt refer to any one inparticular im speeking in general

  12. #131
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You are confusing your point with the point. What you do in a particular set of circumstances is your choice. "Pretty sure" is a long way from a sound basis in fact.
    What is your point? You're making pretty pointless posts here. I was stating my opinion, that's it.

  13. #132
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    What is your point? You're making pretty pointless posts here. I was stating my opinion, that's it.
    And I am expressing mine. That is how forum debates work.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  14. #133
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    And I am expressing mine. That is how forum debates work.
    No, you keep saying I need facts for an opinion. That's not at all how it works. I mention I'm "pretty sure" about my state because it doesn't matter, and you're telling me I need facts.

    That makes no sense.

  15. #134
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    No, you keep saying I need facts for an opinion. That's not at all how it works. I mention I'm "pretty sure" about my state because it doesn't matter, and you're telling me I need facts.

    That makes no sense.
    In lethal force confrontations, it is critical for your well being and that of your family and the general public that you know exactly how the appropriate law reads, and what your rights and responsibilities are. Being "pretty sure" is a recipe for disaster. What isn't making sense to you?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  16. #135
    Ex Member Array CaveJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    In lethal force confrontations, it is critical for your well being and that of your family and the general public that you know exactly how the appropriate law reads, and what your rights and responsibilities are. Being "pretty sure" is a recipe for disaster. What isn't making sense to you?
    Oh my god...am I not speaking english correctly? The "pretty sure" is IRRELEVANT! I'm never going to chase someone down for material goods, so I don't need to know it fully. It was a side anecdote about why I wouldn't do it...so you're still off topic here.

    This is totally off the rails, I'm done.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bank owner in troy confronts
,

bank robbery troy mo

,

space shuttle challenger

,
suppose the bank owners
,
troy mo bank robbery
Click on a term to search for related topics.