13 Year Old Girl Dead - 14 Year Old Arrested for Involuntary Manslaughter

This is a discussion on 13 Year Old Girl Dead - 14 Year Old Arrested for Involuntary Manslaughter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My 2 year old Grandson knows not to touch real guns. He knows not to touch them because his Mom and Dad taught him. And ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 13 Year Old Girl Dead - 14 Year Old Arrested for Involuntary Manslaughter

My 2 year old Grandson knows not to touch real guns. He knows not to touch them because his Mom and Dad taught him.
    And as for his Mommy, I taught her! I've never had eny issuse with having guns in my house when my kids were growing up.
    My kids knew that if they wanted to see and hold one of my real guns they had to ask for permission. Then wait for me to get it for them, clear it, and hand it to them unloaded when it was safe to do so. And I made sure they knew I knew it was loaded when I put it back away.
    A 1 gallon milk jug full or red cool-aid will impress the hell out of a kid when you blow a hole in it the size of their little head.
    They realize what a loaded gun can do and not to play with them. And they also knew to get as far as possible from any kid playing with one.

Nerf Guns were toys, my 45 was not!

Both of my kids have their CHL's now. My Daughter and I took the classes together.

Oh, and she can change a flat tire by herself too!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

2. Remove Ads

My son has problems, many of you know this. Even with him what isn't a mystery isn't something a kid goes looking for. He was taught about gun from age probably 2. If he wanted to see the gun dad went and got it and unloaded it and showed him the gun. Many times in his younger years if I couldn't find them I knew my son wanted to see the gun and dad was showing it to him. Don't make guns a mystery and don't make them toys. We talked about guns in other peoples houses many times. Get out of the house and tell an adult.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    I can't imagine leaving a loaded shotgun around the house. It should be locked up. Teenagers are worse than most toddlers when it comes to things like this. Very sad story and it didn't have to happen.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I can't imagine leaving a loaded shotgun around the house. It should be locked up. Teenagers are worse than most toddlers when it comes to things like this. Very sad story and it didn't have to happen.
    I disagree. My 2 brothers (well, one was my half brother, technically) and I grew up in a house with plenty of loaded guns. Even as screwed up as my half brother was, he knew better than to mess with my Dad's guns.

I agree that it didn't have to happen. If the kid was educated in the safe handling of firearms (or respecting other people's property), then he wouldn't have touched the gun in the first place. If an adult had been there, he more than likely never would have found the gun, either. There were plenty of ways it could have been prevented without having to lock the gun up.

I'm an advocate of training over hiding. Rather than making firearms a mysterious, evil, thing that you keep locked up, teach your kid how it works, and make sure they know that you will take them shooting whenever they want. All they have to do is ask. It worked for me as a kid, and I'm sure plenty of others here grew up the same way.

As my son grows older (he just turned 5) him being at a friend's house becomes more and more of a concern. I can teach him safety all day (and do), but it only takes a few seconds and an irresponsible parent to leave a loaded gun available for their kid to grab and end my son's life.

@ article: Absolutely terrible and completely avoidable.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    I disagree. My 2 brothers (well, one was my half brother, technically) and I grew up in a house with plenty of loaded guns. Even as screwed up as my half brother was, he knew better than to mess with my Dad's guns.

I agree that it didn't have to happen. If the kid was educated in the safe handling of firearms (or respecting other people's property), then he wouldn't have touched the gun in the first place. If an adult had been there, he more than likely never would have found the gun, either. There were plenty of ways it could have been prevented without having to lock the gun up.

I'm an advocate of training over hiding. Rather than making firearms a mysterious, evil, thing that you keep locked up, teach your kid how it works, and make sure they know that you will take them shooting whenever they want. All they have to do is ask. It worked for me as a kid, and I'm sure plenty of others here grew up the same way.
    You may be educated, and your kids may be educated. Your kids friends ARE NOT. Hence what has happened in this very scenario. Guns should be locked up if they aren't in your control. You can't control other peoples children. Kids also do stupid things all the time that they know they shouldn't be doing. That's why they're kids. My guns will always stay locked up.

Little Edit: Not that I disagree, though. Education is the best thing you can do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links