Ugly: Gas is Gold - Page 3

Ugly: Gas is Gold

This is a discussion on Ugly: Gas is Gold within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Workers from other states arrived in droves with their power/utility trucks to help in getting the electricity back up and running ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Ugly: Gas is Gold

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Workers from other states arrived in droves with their power/utility trucks to help in getting the electricity back up and running again but, all of those who were not union members were turned away.

UNREAL.
    The utility crews were from my Home town, they were not technically turned away, they would of just had to join the union before they could have gone to work.

Decatur Utilities clarifies: 'Crews not turned away from Sandy r - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

It's an odd time to be coercing union membership.
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    I guess they really need the union dues
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Saturday before Sandy hit the East coast we filled up our car, topped of generator got kerosene for heater and refilled gas cans in preparation for power outages.

Only lost power for about 10 seconds... go figure.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ugly: Gas is Gold

@ Hawkeye sorry for the inappropriate remark. I have some very close friends who have been affected by the storm ( all that's left of their homes is the foundation). Normally I would not have replied, just a bad day. Again, my apologies.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Saturday before Sandy hit the East coast we filled up our car, topped of generator got kerosene for heater and refilled gas cans in preparation for power outages.

Only lost power for about 10 seconds... go figure.
    It's either Darwin or Murphy, it's the way it goes.
    varob and pgrass101 like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The utility crews were from my Home town, they were not technically turned away, they would of just had to join the union before they could have gone to work.

Decatur Utilities clarifies: 'Crews not turned away from Sandy r - WSFA.com: News Weather and Sports for Montgomery, AL.
    That still is a whole new level of wrong. Surrounded by destruction and need, and people are there willing to help, and you won't let them unless they join your club? Really!? To me that is a lack of humanity, trying to manipulate a sittuation for your gain. Almost as bad as the looters as far as I'm concerned.
    darbo likes this.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Folks are scalping gasoline for $25.00 & $30.00 per gallon.
    The eternal law of Supply & Demand.
    You'll always want to screw your fellow Man whenever and however possible in any crisis scenario or disaster.
    There should be laws in place to prevent price gouging by retailers. But if a consumer purchased gas and then resold it at a profit, hey, nobody's forcing the ill prepared to buy it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    There should be laws in place to prevent price gouging by retailers. But if a consumer purchased gas and then resold it at a profit, hey, nobody's forcing the ill prepared to buy it.
    That's what I was thinking too. Is it morally ambiguous? Yeah, probably. If they really need it, should you give it to them anyway? If you don't need it, probably. But if they need it, how much does money really matter? Does it probably show a little bit about your character? yup. Should it be illegal? Nope.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I own a house and rent out rooms to quite a few friends. I made sure everyone gassed up their vehicles, and topped off all of my gas cans and both of my generators. I charged all my deep cycle batteries and tested my inverter. I spent an entire day cleaning out gutters, taking out sketchy looking trees, chopping firewood, etc etc.

I am sure quite a few people were screwed over beyond what they ever thought possible. I'm sure quite a few people burned through their gas supplies keeping their generators running. I am far more sure that so many of these people standing in line for gasoline didn't have more than the gas that was in their generator, if they have one at all. I also see quite a few people sitting in a massive SUV with a 20 gallon tank talking about how much they need gasoline. How much do you drive? Even at 10 MPG (gridlock NYC) I expect 200 miles of range. How are you putting that many miles on a car in the city?

I am very sure that my little garrison would still be fine if we didn't have any source of new food or gasoline. Even if a tree had fallen on the house, we would have had that thing cut up and have the roof covered with tarps and plywood by now.

I'm not going to bash the people who lost it all. Especially those who headed the call to evacuate. I am bashing the people who didn't prepare for what many is just an extended power outage.

I'm a nuclear engineer who works in the energy sector, every single person who rents from me is an engineer. We all agree that our grid can come down at any moment. Is it really too much to ask for people to keep a few cans of stabilized gasoline laying about?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links