Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? - Page 2

Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How far was the fall? ~12 feet to the ground? Was is on to dirt or concrete? Well, I'm no Steven Seagal but sure would ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

How far was the fall? ~12 feet to the ground? Was is on to dirt or concrete? Well, I'm no Steven Seagal but sure would have been looking for a bushy shrub to cushion my leap. Even if I broke an ankle, I think me & my G19 would have been right down there amongst it. I COULD NOT have stood by & I'd have shot every single one of those dogs if they were the LAST ONES known to exist in the WORLD. If leaping was out of the question, from the platform I'd have put my little red Crimson Trace dot between the shoulders of the top dog and worked my way down the pecking order.
    BenGoodLuck and bigdogtx like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A 2-year-old boy was mauled to death today after falling into the African painted dog exhibit ...

(Police) said the boy's 34-year-old mother placed the child in a standing position on a wooden railing overlooking the enclosure.
    Not the smartest thing to do, at a wild animal enclosure.

"Here, Johnnie, get closer so you can see everything. Just be careful, okay?" At 2yrs of age, I can't imagine doing anything other than holding a child in my arms on my chest/hip, if he/she needs the height to see properly. Can't imagine placing a child onto a railing or barrier, for any reason whatsoever.

Tip: if the word "petting" is missing from the zoo's title (ie, Bob's Petting Zoo), it's a pretty good bet that the separation is for good reason.

Condolences to the family. Bummer of a day, for them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There were 11 dogs. Seven were lured away within minutes. My guess is that those would have left at the first shot from my pistol. That left 4 to deal with... 3 were apparently distracted by dummy tranq. darts... Stupid... they would have been stopped (not distracted) by real tranq. darts or real bullets. One remaining dog was aggressive and was shot by police, too late.

As stated before, the only endangered species in that enclosure was the child. Shoot anything else.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How far was the fall? ~12 feet to the ground? Was is on to dirt or concrete? Well, I'm no Steven Seagal but sure would have been looking for a bushy shrub to cushion my leap. Even if I broke an ankle, I think me & my G19 would have been right down there amongst it. I COULD NOT have stood by & I'd have shot every single one of those dogs if they were the LAST ONES known to exist in the WORLD. If leaping was out of the question, from the platform I'd have put my little red Crimson Trace dot between the shoulders of the top dog and worked my way down the pecking order.
    A good PLF would break your fall. I beleive the rail was 14 or so feet up. Just hanging and dropping should be no prob for an adult.
    I obviously feel for the mom. My wife and I can't understand why a mother would not jump in after their child to protect him. If she had done that act I wonder if things would have been different. Maybe others would have jumped in also. Who knows
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

So sad. Very upsetting that one persons idiocy caused an innocent to die. It seems however that that is generally how it happens. I would have shot and jumped in and used whatever I could to save the kid.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Chances are the first shot would have scattered the dogs,any that didn't would become zoo food.They are saying that the fall may have been fatal,too many people today don't think about the possible consequences of their actions before they act ! You would be surprised how many dumb people actually get angered and upset if you point out why they shouldn't be doing what they are doing
    ^^^This^^^

I actually did something similar when a pack of feral dogs were killing a calf on our farm. There was a danger of a 30'o6 round over penetrating & killing the calf. So, I shot another dog which caused them to scatter for a few minutes. We were able to take out four dogs and the calf made it back to mom.

I see shooting is justified here. But, you do have to worry about over penetration & trajectory angles. IF you shot a dog attacking a kid= GOOD the MSM portrays you as a hero! (Bullet passes through dog & kills kid= BAD, you're now a murderer.)

This is one situation a warning shot into the ground may be a good idea. Then, in the confusion, it may be safer to take a direct shot at the attacking dogs.

-

I would do nothing.

My local zoo doesn't permit concealed carry and even if I was armed I would have done nothing.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I too would shoot, in a heartbeat. It's my instinct to rush to the aid of anybody in danger, just a natural reaction for me.

I take my son to the Pittsburgh Zoo all the time and every time I do, I see parents either helping their kid get onto the railing (or allowing them to) for a 'closer look'.. And every time I've said something to them, it became borderline confrontational, no matter how nicely I said/worded it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I agree! The mother probably needs to be shot also. Standing him up the rail was stupid enough,but why would you let go of a 3 year old,maybe it was done on purpose? Lets hope not!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Being an endangered species you can probably figure that you would face some sort of legal ramifications. Personally, I would shoot without even worrying about that. After all, we are talking about saving a child. And I seriously doubt that any prosecutor could secure a conviction. This type of case just screams for jury nullification.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I would do nothing.

My local zoo doesn't permit concealed carry and even if I was armed I would have done nothing.
    I will not make a judgment..just curious why you would not shoot to protect the child if you were legally armed.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Somebody educate me:folks keep bringing up you can be in trouble for shooting the dogs because they are endangered. Where and what law says that an endangered species takes precedence over saving a human being. Am I missing something.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Re: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

The mere presence of an adult in the pen may have scared the dogs away... they were after the weakest one. In a large zoo, I doubt they were malnourished or desperate for a meal. Something larger than them being present may have changed their mind for a bit

14' isn't much, and adrenaline will mask the pain from broken bones.

I'm going in, then shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I will not make a judgment..just curious why you would not shoot to protect the child if you were legally armed.
    Is one legally armed if they are somewhere that does not allow concealed carry?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Somebody educate me:folks keep bringing up you can be in trouble for shooting the dogs because they are endangered. Where and what law says that an endangered species takes precedence over saving a human being. Am I missing something.
    I have no idea, but this incident/scenario does raise some interesting thoughts.

You'd either come out the hero or a villian, depending on the outcome and charges (if any) were pressed by the zoo.

Keep those little one off the railing!!!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Ex Member
    I would shoot now and ask questions later. Actually If I didn't have my carry piece, though I can't imagine that happening, I would jump down and fight them off with my knife.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links