Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is from NOAA's site on endangered marine life: "While you are strictly prohibited from intentionally lethally taking marine mammals in the course of commercial ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is from NOAA's site on endangered marine life:

"While you are strictly prohibited from intentionally lethally taking marine mammals in the course of commercial fishing operations, intentional lethal take is authorized if imminently necessary in self-defense or to save the life of another person. If a marine mammal is killed in self-defense or to save the life of another person, a report must be filed with NMFS within 48 hours of the end of the fishing trip or, for non-vessel fisheries, within 48 hours of the mortality."

I suppose it's true for land animals...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Both parents were there. My God, why didn't one or both of them jump in after their child?!?

My son fell off the back of a horse drawn wagon when the horses moved forward suddenly from a stopped position. My wife was after him in a second and grabbed him and moved to the side in case the horses backed up.

My daughter fell off a raft that was being towed by a sailboat and I was instantly in the water after her to help her if she needed it, even though she can swim.

If my kid had fallen into that pit, I'd be right after them and I'd either stop the dogs or die trying.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    If my kid had fallen into that pit, I'd be right after them and I'd either stop the dogs or die trying.
    If I had any tool/skills sufficient to repel a dozen aggressive, athletic animals, so would I. Even without, I'd likely attempt it or die trying.

Had a dozen adults jumped right in immediately, I'm betting the pack would have backed off. No telling, though.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Being a father my protectiveness of children has increased to such levels that I know (given the chance) I would have gone in accepting the fact that I would be the new target. However I'm guessing that the situation likely moved so fast that by the time people realized what was happening it was too late. I can imagine the chaos, a pack of dogs doing something, and then you hear the horrific news.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Administrator
    The latest update that I just heard moments ago was that the boy was actually dead and partially ripped apart in a few seconds by the African wild dogs.
    No amount of superhuman marksmanship effort could have saved the poor baby.
    From what I just heard one of the dogs did have to be shot by Police but, the little child had been long dead by then.
    Anyway that's what I heard on the radio and that the child did fall into the safety mesh/net but, then bounced out & into the enclosure.
    goldshellback likes this.

Horrific Event

My heart goes to the family of the boy. It was very un thoughtfulness for the Mother to do that.
    If I was there I would shoot the dogs and worry about the concequences later on. Boy's life was more important then legal hassles

Mistakes can be made and horrible things happen in life but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how a mother, (or father for that matter) can stand their 2 y.o. on a fence railing with a 14' drop into a cage full of African preditors and believe that she loved her child. If you ask me, it's murder.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Mistakes can be made and horrible things happen in life but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how a mother, (or father for that matter) can stand their 2 y.o. on a fence railing with a 14' drop into a cage full of African preditors and believe that she loved her child. If you ask me, it's murder.
    I don't doubt the mother loved her child. I think you underestimate the power of sheer stupidity.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Every SINGLE I ask myself the question - "How STUPID can people be?"...someone sets a new World's Record.
    suntzu and mano3 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Every SINGLE I ask myself the question - "How STUPID can people be?"...someone sets a new World's Record.
    Don't hold your breath thinking this one will last, the record will be broken very shortly
    mprp likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

INAL, but how about negligent homicide?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    INAL, but how about negligent homicide?
    There's is nothing, NOTHING that any legal punishment can inflict upon those parents that can possibly compare to the current & continuing horror of these circumstances. My prayers are for the Holy Spirit to closely abide with them in this impossibly difficult time. Amen.
    Footslogger and bigdogtx like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

As a father to be who seems to feel more ferociously protective by the day (at 7 months along) yes I would have intervened, as others have said even if that meant going into the pit myself.

The other sad part, to me, is they were just discussing on the news what they should do to the animals themselves. This is beyond horrible, I can't even imagine it, but the wild dogs did what wild dogs do, it wasn't a planned strike against humankind. There's a reason when we visit zoos that the animals are barricaded in rather than walking among us.

I dont think you'll face any charges for saving a humans life especially a child, and if so, i would probably request trial by jury not by judge. The jurors might be more sympethatic than the judge, judges lean more toward law books, jurors go more by heart.... Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't doubt the mother loved her child. I think you underestimate the power of sheer stupidity.
    Well, I'm just saying that it's pretty rough when people can be put in the same class of person as the one that purposely drove her kids into the drink a while back. That's what comes to mind when it goes beyond stupid. Horrible either way but come on, how stupid can people get before it raises the question. It just ticks me off when people pull this stuff with kids and no matter what the motive, I'm sure they can find a criminal charge to stick her with.

See? It fired me up enough to not even answer the question in the OP. My answer is yes I would shoot as long as I didn't endanger anyone else. ~given the opportunity and all "what ifs" out of the way here~ If I could shoot a person that was killing a child I sure the heck could shoot an animal. Now,putting myself out on a limb for that stupid woman that needed to get a closer shot of the polar bear than her zoom would allow? Maybe, but I see myself hesitating a bit more in that situation.

Warning:Stupid Can Be Graphic And It Hurts - YouTube
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links