Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? - Page 4

Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mom goes to jail for a very long time for negligent homicide and child endangerment....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

Mom goes to jail for a very long time for negligent homicide and child endangerment.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Would have shot. My screen just got kind of blury.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's is nothing, NOTHING that any legal punishment can inflict upon those parents that can possibly compare to the current & continuing horror of these circumstances.
    Still not an reason to not legally prosecute.

Administrator
    As a civilized society we have traditionally always placed the life of a human being on a higher plane than any of the animal species.
    So if the life of a human being is ever truly in deadly peril from an animal attack a person should always (if possible) terminate the animal no matter if the animal is on the endangered specie list or not.

Here is an update with the zookeeper:

Video - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

My thoughts:

We come on here daily and run scenarios and get discussions and play these thoughts out in our minds. With this interaction; you and I will react differently than an "average" citizen due to this mindset. That being said, can you imagine this scenario or have we discussed this prior to this? Even without discussion, I am sure most of us are in the mix quickly!! The average individual would not as they would probably just look on in shock.

As far as prosecuting the parent(s) for negligent homicide, I am not sure of the statutes. But I am sure if you contribute to the death of another due to your "negligence", they could be charged. That being said, there would probably be nothing that could be more of a punishment that could be done to the parents than they are probably going through right now. (I hope they are on suicide watch at the moment)

I think this also shows that limiting carry in dangerous places, bad things can happen that may have been prevented. Even if firearms are prohibited, pepper spray or knives may not be.

Prayers to all who have been touched by this tragedy.
    BradL likes this.

The words "Child Endangerment" just shouts out to me in this. The mother was totally stupid.
    What part of "wild animals" do people just NOT get ???

Too bad a boy died due to his mother's stupidity.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    The parents are so distraught that they are in Western Psychiatric Hospital because they cannot mentally cope with this tragedy.
    I sort of agree that I don't know how the Mother could be punished any more than she is already punishing herself.
    She messed up big time and then watched her only child get torn up by a pack of wild dogs.
    She was reportedly a good Mother otherwise and her co-workers said that she adored her child and always talked about him.

I don't want to come across sounding like a lawyer but, it seems to me that no kid should have been able to bounce out of the safety mesh net that was installed under the railing for the express purpose of catching anything/anybody that went over the railing.
    That could probably have either been designed or installed differently so that it would have functioned as intended.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

One of the articles said it was only designed to catch dropped objects, not human beings. The zoo just passed a safety inspection.
    ZX9RCAM likes this.

I feel for the horrible loss and guilt this mother will suffer the rest of her life, but her brains are more endangered than the dogs. What an idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Here is an update with the zookeeper:
    We come on here daily and run scenarios and get discussions and play these thoughts out in our minds. With this interaction; you and I will react differently than an "average" citizen due to this mindset. That being said, can you imagine this scenario or have we discussed this prior to this? Even without discussion, I am sure most of us are in the mix quickly!! The average individual would not as they would probably just look on in shock.

As far as prosecuting the parent(s) for negligent homicide, I am not sure of the statutes. But I am sure if you contribute to the death of another due to your "negligence", they could be charged. That being said, there would probably be nothing that could be more of a punishment that could be done to the parents than they are probably going through right now. (I hope they are on suicide watch at the moment)

I think this also shows that limiting carry in dangerous places, bad things can happen that may have been prevented. Even if firearms are prohibited, pepper spray or knives may not be.

Prayers to all who have been touched by this tragedy.
    What makes "us" different than an "average" citizen? Just curious. Did the CCP give us a special aura? Last I looked most folks that have CCP's do not do any training other than punching holes in paper. I do not have the stats but it seems like that a lot of folks that get CCP's leave their gun at home and never carry it (I know many like that). Do you have any facts that state whether anybody there had a CCP and therfore the "mindset" which could have changed the outcome of this tragedy? Last I looked plenty of folks run into burning buldings and jump into rivers to save people...and they do not have CCP's. Betcha a lot of them hate guns and are far left wing(not stereotyping ).
    Sorry, I don't like to try to make myself special by putting a group of people I am common with on a pedastal. (not sure if you were or not, just speaking for me). People are people. If you want to group people together and put them in a category of those most likely to react to this situation it would be parents. Most parents would never let thier child be mauled without jumping in. For whatever reason this lady did not, nor did anyone else of which some may have been CCP holders.
    Anyway, we should pray for the parents and all others that were there that saw this tragic event. And also pray that if confronted with this that we could act appropriately and timely.
    wdbailey likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I would try to help if I could.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Still not an reason to not legally prosecute.
    Is there some other then legal form...of prosecution?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Unfortunately the mother's species - Moronus Americanus - is far from endangered.
    mprp likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Is there some other then legal form...of prosecution?
    Why, yes, there is.
    Merriam webster - prosecute
    1: to follow to the end : pursue until finished <prosecute a war>
    2: to engage in : perform
    3a : to bring legal action against for redress or punishment of a crime or violation of law
    b : to institute legal proceedings with reference to <prosecute a claim>

VIP Member
    I don't think the mother should be prosecuted. Yes, she did something stupid and she'll be paying for it the rest of her life. She did something in a moment without thinking and now she's lost her little boy and pretty much her own life too.
    I'm not surprised that she and her husband are in a mental institution being watched.

I would jump into the pit in a heartbeat, wouldn't even think twice. If I got killed, so what. If my baby is gone due to my mistake,what good is life after that anyway.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links