Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is a line in the Declaration of Independence that states, (and I'm paraphrasing), that "Those with the ability to take action have the responsibility ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

There is a line in the Declaration of Independence that states, (and I'm paraphrasing), that "Those with the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action". I would have absolutely shot the dogs to save that child's life. I'll deal with the concequences later.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Just heard on the news today that Police still aren't sure whether it was done on purpose or not.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Just heard on the news today that Police still aren't sure whether it was done on purpose or not.
    I sure hope not!
    mprp likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

He was dead before the first dog swallowed. Never had a chance. "But he's dead anyway" would not be an accepted comeback to "You could have hit the child!". We often forget the world's 50% anti, and lawsuits are expensive.

I don't care if it was the last of the species on earth. If my son was down there I would be right there next to him shooting, kicking and doing whatever I have to sacrificing my own life to try to save him.

What a horrible incident. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life. Just horrible.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Are you saying someone may have threw or pushed the kid into the dog pen? (Sorry, I haven't gone back & re-read all the posts since my last visit.)

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Are you saying someone may have threw or pushed the kid into the dog pen? (Sorry, I haven't gone back & re-read all the posts since my last visit.)
    What I'm understanding is that they may suspect infanctacide....

I'm just saying what the very short report on the radio was today. I took it as an indication that police are investigating whether or not the kid was put in that dangerous position on purpose. Sick I know, but that's what I was talking about in my first post. Actions that seem so stupid to normal people can either be taken as a horrible tragic mistake or raise eyebrows for suspected murder. I don't think the authorities are going to pass up the chance to investigate this one.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Kid bled to death during/after mauling - hopefully he was unconscious.

Checking into a mental hospital is also a way to, at least temporarily, avoid interacting with police. I know someone who was advised to do this after finding his brother dead - real killer was arrested shortly after. Putting her in jail also keeps her from harming anyone else with her poor judgement (about as polite as I could put that).

All it takes is just a split second of being distracted and next thing you know, your toddler is into trouble - raised three of them.

I suspect she put him up on the railing for a closer look and for some reason, let go for a split second and that's all it took.

Stupid and horrible at the same time...

I used to just HOLD the youngins' up if they couldn't see, using two hand and never letting go and never putting them nearer to the danger.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Pittsburgh Zoo Tragedy: Why Did African Wild Dogs Attack Boy?

interesting. Apparently, the dogs are a bunch of happy go lucky characters who were just checking out the boy and accidentally bit him to death.

SUPER SAD for the parents. I cannot imagine their pain.
    mano3 likes this.

A lot of you guys are answering the "what would you do?" in the scenario if it were your own child. Would you still jump in if it weren't your kid?

I don't have children so I can't answer it from that perspective. If I were an onlooker and saw this go down....honestly, I wouldn't jump in there and try to fight off 11 wild dogs.

You guys are making a lot of assumptions on the behavior of the wild dogs. Saying that your "presence" would scare them, or shooting one would make the rest scatter; hindsight's 20/20, but you don't know that from the beginning.

So a baby (someone else's baby) falls 14 feet and immediately gets jumped by 11 wild dogs. Let's be real here. If the fall didn't immediately kill that baby, then he was dead seconds later. Is it worth risking your own life to jump into the pack of wild dogs, too? I wouldn't do it. I would break my ankle in the fall and possibly get attacked myself. I don't think I'd want to shoot down there from 14 feet up because if I miss and hit the kid, we've got manslaughter charges against me.

Honestly, the most I would probably do is shoot into the ground and scream and holler to try to scare them away. If they ran away after that, that's a different story, but I wouldn't risk my life before finding out.

Tragic, all around.
    mano3 likes this.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    The question should be can you shoot a woman holding her child near wild animals?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Laura, Ive snatched more than one of someone Else's kids out of harms way. And at 14' with a good rail to rest on I dought Id miss. Before I had kids of my own I think I would have thought much the same as you posted above. But your own kids change you and your thought process. I do have some experience with wild dogs, not the African kind but the American mutts that people seem to dump in the country. The only two times Ive ever really thought I was fighting for my life was twice against packs of stray dogs. Both times when you hurt the first one bad enough the pack gets the idea real quick that they have turned from predator to prey, and backed off to reassess the situation. DR

The kid bled out after being mauled so he didn't die from the fall - don't know what kind of shape he was in, but the dogs killed him. "Immediately" means different things to different people and we're relying on emotional reports from witnesses reported by, well, reporters. I've watched plenty of nature shows where predators approach with caution before committing to an attack - including a male lion attacking a buffalo calf with no herd nearby. I'm with dangerranger in that when you confront feral dogs they will scatter and the description from the zoo official/experts back that up. I wouldn't jump in only due to risk of injury from the fall, but there would definitely be a few dogs with extra holes.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links