Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? - Page 6

Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck I don't care if they'd arrest me. If I saw a child or anyone being mauled by dogs, I would shoot ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I don't care if they'd arrest me. If I saw a child or anyone being mauled by dogs, I would shoot the dogs, endangered species or not.
    Agree :)

I'm surprised anyone wouldn't if they had a gun/could shoot. I mean, saving a life is worth going to jail. And I'm sure the police would understand, and if one were arrested at all it would be more of a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I'd shoot them too. As a parent, I couldn't help it. I'm just wondering what the ramifications would be afterwards?

Also, I wonder if the fall killed the boy?
    No he actually died due to the attack. That's what the article I read said. The medical examiner apparently ruled that death was caused by the mauling, not the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Why, yes, there is.
    Merriam webster - prosecute
    1: to follow to the end : pursue until finished <prosecute a war>
    2: to engage in : perform
    3a : to bring legal action against for redress or punishment of a crime or violation of law
    b : to institute legal proceedings with reference to <prosecute a claim>
    Thanks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I know this is a terrible thought, and it probably makes me a terrible person for thinking it, but it did come to mind. It sucks for the kid. No fault of his own, but maybe if the woman is dumb enough to lift her kid over the fence and then let him fall, and then stand there expecting someone else to do something about it, maybe it's best that she doesn't produce offspring to further dilute the gene pool.

Maybe there were extenuating circumstances, but from the basics of the story, the thought did cross my mind. I still feel terrible for the boy though. What a horrible way to pay for the stupidity of your mother.
    mprp and Fausty like this.
    Walk softly ...

Shoot first, ask questions later.

VIP Member
    Some follow-up to slightly brighten, perhaps:
    Toy trucks by the thousand honor mauled Pa. boy - Yahoo! News
    mano3 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Administrator
    Just to answer some questions posted above.

The boy fell from the fence 11 feet down into some mesh netting which broke his fall. Then he bounced out of that and (best guess) only fell 4 more feet into the enclosure.
    So he was not killed by the fall. He bled to death from the attack which took place only a few seconds after he landed in the enclosure.

As of the latest the Mother will not be charged for the death of her child and the zoo intends to revamp the enclosure so that anything like this cannot happen again.

It's possible that even one fraction of a second after she realized that it was a completely dumb idea to stand her child up on the fence to get a better look at the dogs that it was already too late. It's just monumentally sad that a momentary incredibly stupid brain fart resulted in the horrific death of her only kid.

Don't get me wrong. I am not insinuating that the Mother is innocent but, only that she was/is guilty of being utterly stupid.

I don't think anybody that witnessed the incident believed that she intentionally wanted her kid to fall and get torn apart by wild dogs.
    And the fact that both parents were in total anguish & suffered complete mental breakdowns following the incident sort of supports that.
    mano3 and Jeanlouise like this.

Thanks QK
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    To add to the thoughts of the original "Can You Shoot?", I don't think a mag dump, re-load and another mag dump with the gun shown in my avatar on the 10+ pack animals as soon as the child went over the edge would have saved his life. One attacking dog is Tueller speed doubled, and with a bite ferocity which is virtually insurmountable without protection.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

/\/\...agreed!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    To add to the thoughts of the original "Can You Shoot?", I don't think a mag dump, re-load and another mag dump with the gun shown in my avatar on the 10+ pack animals as soon as the child went over the edge would have saved his life. One attacking dog is Tueller speed doubled, and with a bite ferocity which is virtually insurmountable without protection.
    My experience with feral or wild dogs is that they can be dissuaded quickly by injuring the first bad actor! In my run ins they figured out that they had turned from predator to prey pretty quickly. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    My experience with feral or wild dogs is that they can be dissuaded quickly by injuring the first bad actor! In my run ins they figured out that they had turned from predator to prey pretty quickly. DR
    With a pack of dogs, domestic or feral attacking downed prey, there is no quick dissuasion. Like a human mob, they are no longer functioning as individuals.
    William T. Sherman

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links