Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

This is a discussion on Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A very terrible event: Pittsburgh Zoo, police investigating fatal mauling of child at African painted dogs exhibit - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette My question is, could you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

Horrible: Boy Mauled at Zoo - Can you Shoot?

A very terrible event: Pittsburgh Zoo, police investigating fatal mauling of child at African painted dogs exhibit - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

My question is, could you shoot the wild dogs to save the boy without getting into trouble? The wild dogs happen to be endangered species.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What a horrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are for the boy's family. I am saddened that the mother would put her son on a railing like that.

I don't care if they'd arrest me. If I saw a child or anyone being mauled by dogs, I would shoot the dogs, endangered species or not.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Being an endangered species you can probably figure that you would face some sort of legal ramifications. Personally, I would shoot without even worrying about that. After all, we are talking about saving a child. And I seriously doubt that any prosecutor could secure a conviction. This type of case just screams for jury nullification.
    Macantic, kmagnuss and atctimmy like this.

I doubt they would even arrest you if you saved that little child.

I say I'd start shooting, and I probably would. But given the fact that there were 11 wild dogs, it may not have helped. I keep 21 rounds on me, that's a little less than 2 per dog. If that wasn't enough I'd probably have to jump in with pepper spray and and knife to gas them and then start stabbing.

As for the mother. Lady, the fences exist for a reason. It's not necessarily to keep the people away from the animals. It's to keep the animals from eating the people.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My son is a year older than this young boy, and I have 2 nieces around that age. Now I would have never put him in the situation where he could have fallen in. However if that happened to him or any child when I was around, armed or not, my butt would have jumped in after him and done anything I could to ensure his survival. I'm sure any parent understands where I'm coming from, u kind of have to have a child of your own to understand the care and love you have for a child. Iv been known to be "reckless" with my own safety my whole life, its just who I am. Since iv had my kid its even worse when it comes to keeping him safe. Iv already risked injury multiple times for him, being a 3 year old he doesn't always understand or look out for danger, (loose dogs, traffic, ect.). But I protect him without thought, its automatic instinct now. My prayers go out to the family of this poor little boy.

Endangered species? The two year old boy was an endangered species, there was only one like him. I would have shot and kept shooting until the threat was gone or I ran out of ammo. My prayers go out to the boys family.
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

The mother should be charged and spend time in jail for causing the death of her child through her stupidity!!!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Wouldn't have thought twice about it. You only have to buy enough time to allow keepers to get the dogs out of the pen/tranquilized. Shooting one or two would probably do that. It's 14 ft, I can make plenty of accurate shots at that distance. Thought about dropping in with him, but a 14 ft drop can seriously screw you up to where you're no good to either yourself or the boy. Yeah, I've jumped off roofs and people have fallen from greater heights with no damage, but I can put mag after mag into one ragged hole at that distance - as long as I'm not dealing with any broken bones, plus you can maintain the high ground and getting a better view of what's going on; it was an observation deck.

I'd shoot them too. As a parent, I couldn't help it. I'm just wondering what the ramifications would be afterwards?

Also, I wonder if the fall killed the boy?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Chances are the first shot would have scattered the dogs,any that didn't would become zoo food.They are saying that the fall may have been fatal,too many people today don't think about the possible consequences of their actions before they act ! You would be surprised how many dumb people actually get angered and upset if you point out why they shouldn't be doing what they are doing
    Spade115 and Hoganbeg like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I could live with myself for shooting the wild dogs to save a kid. Wouldn't really care how the zoo felt about it either. People take priority.
    mano3, BradL and wraithls1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'd shoot the dogs too.

No doubt they'll yip when shot, the other dogs will recognize a distress yip and maybe back-off to some extent? They won't like the gunfire either. If someone wants to file charges against me after it's all over, so be it. I doubt they'd pursue it, and if they did, I'll deal with that anytime, rather than watching a child die.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It’s a pity that the child and an animal had to die for the mother to learn what she already should have known, I hope they bring her up on charges for the child's death. We had a similar incident in my home town zoo where they had to shoot a wolf because a woman tried to pet it like it and it bit her. I can't belive how stupid some people can be. That being said I would have fired into the pack to keep them from the child, consequences be damned.
    Molon Labe

That's awful. The zoo's going to catch a lot of flack, but that's what railings and warning signs are for, people. Terrible that the mother was so careless, though I can't imagine what the rest of her life will be like.

Do we know how deep the enclosure was? It makes it sound like it was a decent fall and that all of the dogs were pretty much on top of him. I don't know that I would be doing any shooting. The place is already in an uproar and... depending on the distance, I would never take the chance of hitting the kid myself.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links