America's Doomsday Plan: Jumbo Jet on Steroids

This is a discussion on America's Doomsday Plan: Jumbo Jet on Steroids within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OldVet There's a large fleet of aerial tankers, each ready to offload fuel into the doomsday plane and then land. Old stuff, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: America's Doomsday Plan: Jumbo Jet on Steroids

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    There's a large fleet of aerial tankers, each ready to offload fuel into the doomsday plane and then land. Old stuff, nothing new about it. Been doing it for many, many years. How do you suppose AF One flys non-stop to all these other countries? The reason the doomday doesn't land is it's difficult to locate and target while airborne--simple as that.

The USAF at one time did have plans for a nuclear aircraft until someone mentioned, "What happens to the reactor if the plane crashes?" They canceled the program. The risk of contamination was too high.
    Once again, the claim is that it does NOT refuel for days.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Here ya go,

That is a cool picture!

battlestar-galactica-wallpaper-13.jpg

This is what we need in space. Can survive direct nuke hits and it can outlast more modern ships due to it's low tech.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'd like to see what the anti-asteroid features are like, on such a vehicle. Pretty stout vehicle, I guess.
    Features:
    • Invincibility armor
    • Glides out of the way of a 10 mile wide hunk of rock and iron moving at 400,000 MPH like a gazelle...
    • Money back guarantee. If you're not satisfied we'll give your surviving relatives a full refund.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The nuclear reactor comment is not that far off from reality. They actually tried it, but the idea ended up getting scrapped. Go figure.
    Walk softly ...

I guess we have to wait for fusion plants before we get nuclear-powered planes

Engineers! To the drawing boards!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The USAF at one time did have plans for a nuclear aircraft until someone mentioned, "What happens to the reactor if the plane crashes?" They canceled the program. The risk of contamination was too high.
    A friend of mine was on that nuclear aircraft, when it had a live reactor onboard, (a B-36) when it almost crashed at Carswell AFB...in the 50s or 60s.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    A friend of mine was on that nuclear aircraft, when it had a live reactor onboard, (a B-36) when it almost crashed at Carswell AFB...in the 50s or 60s.
    Found this on YouTube Convair NB-36H Peacemaker Nuclear-Powered test Aircraft - YouTube
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I think what they meant to say is "without landing to refuel."

Of course if the tankers can't get airborne, they'll need the secret squirrel airborne aircraft carrier.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The federal government also has a top-secret underground complex called 'Mount Weather' located 64 miles from Washington, D.C. in Virginia.

Buried 300 feet underground, the massive complex features 20 multistory buildings, water reservoirs, a sewage treatment plant, a hospital, a crematorium and a television studio where the president can keep the American people apprised of what's going on.

The compound has enough supplies to last 200 personnel a month, but enough bunks for 2,000 people.
    This is the real story. They closed Greenbrier's secret bunker after it was outed. Now there's a new secret bunker?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Last I heard Greenbriar was still a national asset despite it being casted out by the media. Supposedly, there is a public side for tours and use by the Greenbriar, and there is still a secure area maintained by the men in black suits. ;)

The doomsday plane is nothing new. What I was surprised about in the article is how they were able to detail that there is a fleet of 4 airplanes in Omaha.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    This is the real story. They closed Greenbrier's secret bunker after it was outed. Now there's a new secret bunker?
    LOL.. I live on the back side of Mnt Weather. There's nothing under my back yard, I swear! Nothing to see here... Move along.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    LOL.. I live on the back side of Mnt Weather. There's nothing under my back yard, I swear! Nothing to see here... Move along.
    This is not the underground bunker you're looking for...

This is not the underground bunker we're looking for...

But any plane can still be brought DOWN by one little bird strike.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    These bunkers aren't new & there are still others that are still in use.

There are several I have been in......

The Greenbrier is now being used for secure document storage for the private sector (CSX owns it).

The Federal Reserve had an underground bunker onside of Culpeper that was to be used by the Secretary of State in the event of emergency. It is now a film archive.

The reality of these bunkers really working effectively was poor at best. The time involved in rounding up Congress or other Departments & trying to get them to a bunker in time to avoid something major has pretty well made them obsolete.

The concentration now seems to be on the POTUS & legislative leaders.......& the rest, well they're probably on their own.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Unless it can run without liquid fuel, not going to happen. What is it going to refuel from? A fuel tanker. How is a fuel tanker going to stay aloft for days, especially without running out of fuel itself? Not going to happen. If there is no fleet of fuel tankers with the ability to refuel this plane because none of them can get off of the ground, this plane too will fall from the sky.
    There is a very large fleet of tankers scattered worldwide that are capable of refueling the beast.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links