Good & Bad : Armed Shoplifter Caught.

This is a discussion on Good & Bad : Armed Shoplifter Caught. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A 20 year old West Virginia kid stealing two cans of beer and drops his pistol resulting in calling the Sheriff and then the SWAT ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: Good & Bad : Armed Shoplifter Caught.

Good & Bad : Armed Shoplifter Caught.

A 20 year old West Virginia kid stealing two cans of beer and drops his pistol resulting in calling the Sheriff and then the SWAT team.

The news report also says he has been previously arrested for a "similar" incident. At age 20 it seems as if this kid has begun a life long association with crime and we all know what the outcome will be.

Sensless. But at least they got him this time before he shot anyone or himself getting shot. It's only a matter of time though, they never seem to learn.

Armed Shoplifting Suspect Charged after SWAT Incident
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

He may have had bigger plans if all he initially grabbed was a couple of beers. Didn't need a gun, just run out with the beer. Clerk may have been lucky he dropped it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

According to the release, Lyles was recently arrested after a similar incident at the Gabriel Brothers' Store in Kanawha City.
    Seems the boy (young idiot) probably got a very lenient slap on the wrist last time he did this and figured he is good as gold for this heist too. I hope he gets a judge that won't slap his wrist this time. He needs to 'feel' a little jail time with bubba and his friends...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Bilious Liar (or whatever his name is) needs to spend some real time in a real jail...

No, check that. If he spends time in real jail... he'll get an education in more efficient, and perhaps deadly, methodologies... and when he gets out... he'll practice some more.

There's a shred of hope for this lad... I just don't know how to get him to grab that shred, before it's REALLY too late. The easy thing is to give up on him. The hard thing is to show him a better way, and have him take it.

Thing is, we (generalization) haven't figured out how to do the hard thing and make it work.

Shame, that... off to jail.
    RichB70 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Punishment for the lad is fine. The problem with our system is that it's too soft. A person must hate doing time so much they won't want to ever risk it again. As it is right now it's little more than a penal education system.

He'll be back (if he actually ever goes).

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

VIP Member
    Interesting choice of charges. I'm no lawyer, but have always been led to believe that if you point a gun at someone during the course of taking their stuff, the charge is robbery.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I often wonder if we should go back to chain gangs. Make people do what they don't want to do and they won't come back. Putting people in jail around harden criminals doesn't change a stupid young person it just shows them how to be a better criminal.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Re: Good & Bad : Armed Shoplifter Caught.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I often wonder if we should go back to chain gangs. Make people do what they don't want to do and they won't come back. Putting people in jail around harden criminals doesn't change a stupid young person it just shows them how to be a better criminal.
    Indeed. Prison is the equivalent of college to many.

In regards to the chain gang, etc bit.. wouldnt make much of a difference if any IMO.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Punishment after the fact is really never a deterrent, just an irritation to those getting caught. Like some say, going to Jail only serves to educate the criminal to go for bigger and worse crime. Chain gangs while sounding great do not really make a difference, the ones on them grow angry and will make a point when they get released to move upward in the crime food chain.

What we need to try is to get to these "troubled yoots" before they start a life of crime. Understanding why someone wishes to do this would be the best approach. But, even that is not a deterrent or may not work. Nobody really knows the answer.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Punishment after the fact is really never a deterrent, just an irritation to those getting caught. Like some say, going to Jail only serves to educate the criminal to go for bigger and worse crime. Chain gangs while sounding great do not really make a difference, the ones on them grow angry and will make a point when they get released to move upward in the crime food chain.

What we need to try is to get to these "troubled yoots" before they start a life of crime. Understanding why someone wishes to do this would be the best approach. But, even that is not a deterrent or may not work. Nobody really knows the answer.
    This is why, once they start the "life of crime", they need to be removed from society. Then they should not be placed in a nice comfortable 'country-club' type of prison.

Links