CIA Director Resigns - Page 5

CIA Director Resigns

This is a discussion on CIA Director Resigns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sheepdog, if I could give you 100 likes for your post, I would. You have it exactly right. You'd think the director of the CIA ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: CIA Director Resigns

VIP Member
    Sheepdog, if I could give you 100 likes for your post, I would. You have it exactly right.

You'd think the director of the CIA would know that operatives that have affairs are gotten rid of immediately. They are vulnerable to blackmail. The Soviet Union was famous for using gorgeous KGB agents to seduce suspected CIA operatives during the Cold War.

I also disagree that Petraues is to be applauded for "coming clean" (as some in the press are spinning it).He only did that when he was caught and didn't have a choice. Coincidently, 3 days after the election.

What a shame that this is how his career will end. Not too many public people can get away with immoral behavior and have their careers go on. Bill Clinton being the glaring exception.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Sometimes things really are as straight forward and simple as they seem.

Man has affair. Man ditches "lady" for another. Lady freaks and sends nasty notes, scares
    second lady. Second lady goes to the cops. E mail gets traced. Game over.

Why do so many of you feel a need to look for complex conspiracies when they aren't
    necessary to explain the events?
    OldVet and Ishmael like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Man has affair. Man ditches "lady" for another. Lady freaks and sends nasty notes, scares

Why do so many of you feel a need to look for complex conspiracies when they aren't
    When the CIA director is suddenly outted by the FBI 4 days before a Congressional investigation that would possibly implicate the President of the United States in a plot to cover up the murder of an Ambassador...well,raises some eyebrows.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Because they can... That grassy knoll thing, you know.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    When the CIA director is suddenly outted by the FBI 4 days before a Congressional investigation that would possibly implicate the President of the United States in a plot to cover up the murder of an Ambassador...well,raises some eyebrows.
    ^this

VIP Member

Because Area 51 and UFO sightings don't distract anymore.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    ^this
    Here's your "conspiracy:"
    Cantor knew of Petraeus matter for weeks
    House majority leader spoke with whistleblower in October
    By By the CNN Wire Staff
    POSTED: 7:51 AM PST November 11, 2012 UPDATED: 11:20 AM PST November 11, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/pet...ion/index.html
    Last edited by Hopyard; November 11th, 2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: to fcorrect a link
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

By By the CNN Wire Staff

CIA Director Resigns
    the link takes me to your post #62
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    the link takes me to your post #62
    Woops; hang on a minute and I'll fix it.

OK-- I think I have the right link in that post now.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    By By the CNN Wire Staff

Spokesman: House majority leader knew of Petraeus matter in October - CNN.com

It makes no difference if Cantor knew about it or not. It's the administration that benefits from the immediate removal of Petraeus...and now he's gone.

VIP Member
    It makes no difference if Cantor knew about it or not. It's the administration that benefits from the immediate removal of Petraeus...and now he's gone.
    So if he knew about it he didn't need to go to the WH? Didn't need to discuss it with other
    critters on the "intelligence" committee?

Maybe not actually.

Not if it is exactly what it appears to be, a bunch of stupid nothing about a guy who
    had "things to do," he shouldn't have been doing.

Again, you don't need a conspiracy to explain what can be explained by "stupid."
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    So if he knew about it he didn't need to go to the WH? Didn't need to discuss it with other
    critters on the "intelligence" committee?

Maybe not actually.

Not if it is exactly what it appears to be, a bunch of stupid nothing about a guy who
    had "things to do," he shouldn't have been doing.

Again, you don't need a conspiracy to explain what can be explained by "stupid."
    We don't know that Cantor didn't tell the administration about what the FBI had found. It's possible that they (WH) knew and decided that they would hold the information till they needed to get rid of Patraeus. That need became immediate when Patraeus was called to testify on Tuesday.

Maybe it's all one BIG coincidence, maybe not. The only thing I'm positive of is that no matter what comes of the inquiry, the WH will slither out of it unscathed and adored by it's followers.
    msgt/ret likes this.

VIP Member
    We don't know that Cantor didn't tell the administration about what the FBI had found. It's possible that they (WH) knew and decided that they would hold the information till they needed to get rid of Patraeus. That need became immediate when Patraeus was called to testify on Tuesday.

Maybe it's all one BIG coincidence, maybe not. The only thing I'm positive of is that no matter what comes of the inquiry, the WH will slither out of it unscathed and adored by it's followers.
    You really think if that was the case Cantor would have kept quiet during a hot election?
    You really think if that was the case he wouldn't be on TV now bragging about it?
    Andrew Jackson

For the conspiracy folks: Patraeus can now 1: be suboened and answer questions or 2: he can divulge voluntarily what he knows. The classification of anything he know is really not an issue at this point. He can testify before a closed session or whatever level they need.

So...by removing him does what? Nothing. Look, this happens in the intelligence community. Folks get caught doing something bad (they are still human, sorry, but they are not perfect no matter how man poly's they take or BI's are done) all the time. Many times they are called to give testimony. You only here about the "big names". So what I am saying is this is not new or a conspiracy...yet LOL.
    Ishmael and Hopyard like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    You really think if that was the case Cantor would have kept quiet during a hot election?
    You really think if that was the case he wouldn't be on TV now bragging about it?
    I read that whole link. There are a LOT of unanswered questions, especially "According to a congressional aide familiar with the matter, the House and Senate intelligence committees weren't informed that there was an FBI investigation into the situation until Friday." That is a huge breech...they should have been the first to know about it.

Cantor would have been foolish to come forward with information from an unnamed "whistleblower" before it was verified and potentially destroy the career of one of the most respected men in our country. What if it was untrue?

As I said, the timing of Patraeus affair being outed is suspect, but none of us really know, we're all guessing.

It's going to be an interesting week I think.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links