Homeowner arrested after killing one intruder and wounding another (it's complicated)

This is a discussion on Homeowner arrested after killing one intruder and wounding another (it's complicated) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by skysoldier29 what the heck is prohibited ammunition in Cali? Anything other than snap caps! Shooter was a felon! So any ammo was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Homeowner arrested after killing one intruder and wounding another (it's complicated)

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    what the heck is prohibited ammunition in Cali?
    Anything other than snap caps!

Shooter was a felon! So any ammo was prohibited as well as the pistol.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    California bans the manufacture, importation, sale, offer for sale, or knowing possession or transportation of handgun ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor. This ban applies to any ammunition (except a shotgun shell or ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles) that is designed primarily to penetrate a body vest or body shield, either by virtue of its shape, cross-sectional density, or coating, or because it has a projectile or projectile core constructed entirely of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium, or any equivalent material of similar density or hardness. KTW ammunition, among others, is subject to this ban.
    Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence Ammunition Regulation in California
    I am pretty sure you guys are barking up the wrong tree. He is a felon and is prohibited from possessing ANY ammunition under California law.

Armor piercing ammunition is called "Dangerous Ammunition" not "Prohibited Ammunition" in the CA Penal Code. He would have been charged with "possessing dangerous ammunition" if he had AP ammo.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I stopped reading when I saw California. No matter the reason, the odds are stacked against self defense.
    Miamieddie likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good argument for "Duty To Retreat".

Update on story!

Since this is an area which the PD I insult for, oops, consult for covers some of this area I did some checking!

Well it seem a dealer was being robbed by his customers! So this double turn into a 3-fer!

For those who don't understand: One (1) Bad Guy shoots Two (2) Bad Guys. One Bad Guy dies and the other two Bad Guys go to jail!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Its wrong by all means and makes no sense what so ever on what happened here. Even a felon should have rights when it comes to his/her home and property.... And not allowed to even carry ammunition ? Whats he going to do with it throw it at you?? Lets get real here arnald schwarz. (california)....!!!!! Things like this gets me boiling... Eddie.
    Jerry Brown is the current governor of California. Not that it really matters...
    Miamieddie likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

When you're a felon, you lose certain rights... You're not prohibited from using lethal force to defend your life as that is a God given right no one can take away from you. But if you're a felon, you can not be in possession of a gun.

Note, he is not being charged with murder... He is being charged for a felon in possession of a firearm. And use of "prohibited ammo." I don't know if that's based on him being a felon, or if it's because he used ammo restricted by the state. If the latter is the case, that is bogus as far as I'm concerned. If it's because he was a felon and not allowed possession of any ammo, there's nothing to argue there.

There are consequences for our actions, and being a felon, you forfeit your right to own or even possess firearms. I tell young people all the time, you may not be interested in guns right now, but when you become older, or maybe become disabled from an injury, there may come a point where you may want to own a gun for personal defense. If you screw up now (being young and stupid), the consequences could be with you for the rest of your life. Especially as you become older and outgrow your foolish ways.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
    Sounds pretty straightforward on the felon in posession. Not sure on the ammo charge.

Same as if an intoxicated person defends himself with a firearm. Hes still drunk with a gun.

But at least hes alive and the bad guys got theirs.
    Good thing we can do that legally in GA.

He should have grabbed a machete or a kitchen knife.... those aren't prohibited for a felon. A baseball bat or golf club to the head would have worked. Just saying...... there may have been options.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Anything other than snap caps!

Shooter was a felon! So any ammo was prohibited as well as the pistol.
    In Commiefornia snap caps could get you life...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In Commiefornia snap caps could get you life...
    Yea! If you're dumb enough to take them with you to a gun fight with a Gang Banger who does care about the laws!
    Last edited by onacoma; November 15th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

California= communist.... Florida= democrat... Just how i view things... Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So based on the limited information of the article a felon should have rights to protect his property? So if this guys felony conviction was for manslaughter and rape of a 12 year old girl and he got out he should be able to possess firearms and ammunition?

Like someone said there is more to this story.
    Well now you're talking a bigger problem. That "felon" that murders someone and rapes a 12 year old should not only have never gotten out, but should have never been put in in the first place(ie please pass the rope).

All to often our judicial system tags people as felons for something that in another state isn't even a crime at all. So which part is wrong? I'm all for felons having their rights restored after release until the system gets FIXED because at current, it is SEVERELY flawed.

Right now if I make the simple mistake of missing my exit on a drive to work(due to my own ignorance or some other uncontrollable by me road condition, accident etc...) on a local highway and end up in DC and get pulled over for whatever reason while carrying in my vehicle before I can get turned around and back on the other side of the line...guess what...I'm probably going to be a felon after all the court fiasco as both the possession of unregistered firearms and ammunition as well as carrying a firearm is illegal in DC and they do their damnedest to throw the book at you. Yet, literally 2 steps back onto the bridge and I'm a normal law abiding citizen in the great state of VA.

Rabbit trail aside, I'll withhold judgement on the guy defending himself in his home until more details come out.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links