Not Good: shot at with his own gun...

This is a discussion on Not Good: shot at with his own gun... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ... He heard the guy breaking into his car. The BG found the gun hidden in the car, and shot at the owner with it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Not Good: shot at with his own gun...

Not Good: shot at with his own gun...

... He heard the guy breaking into his car. The BG found the gun hidden in the car, and shot at the owner with it.

Story here: http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/B...tml?mobile=yes
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Why would anybody keep a gun in their car? That is asking to have it stolen. Wear your gun or carry it with you to and from the car for sure, but a gun that is locked inside a car is not going to help you and is a magnet for thieves.
    lchamp likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its bad enough to leave your gun in the car if you have to go into the post office. But never for any length of time. A number or years ago I left a quarter on my dash board. Some jerk broke my side window to steal the quarter. It just goes to show how desperate some people are. That quarter cost me $135.00 for a new side window. I never leave anything in my car from that date on. A lesson learned the hard way.

Hard lesson learned......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

SIDE NOTE: I'll tell you something -- If *I* were a BG (just hypothetically here of course, but don't think I haven't played this one out in my head) and I wanted a gun, I'd simply watch people in front of places with NO GUNS signs in front of them. Sooner or later, you're probably going to see someone going back to his/her car to discretely disarm.

Now I know the person is unarmed - and now I know what's in their car.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, passed and waiting for IL at the moment.

Can someone give me one good reason not to keep a gun in the car?
    Oh wait a minute, this guy can...:bandhead:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
    A number or years ago I left a quarter on my dash board. Some jerk broke my side window to steal the quarter. It just goes to show how desperate some people are. That quarter cost me $135.00 for a new side window. I never leave anything in my car from that date on. A lesson learned the hard way.
    I need to pass this on to my wife who insists on dumping all her loose change on the console. I told her when the window gets broken to take care of it and not call me!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    Why would anybody keep a gun in their car? That is asking to have it stolen. Wear your gun or carry it with you to and from the car for sure, but a gun that is locked inside a car is not going to help you and is a magnet for thieves.
    In a perfect world, yes, but in the real world there are many places we aren't allowed to carry guns so in those cases we can either break the law, leave them at home, or lock them in the car. There are always choices.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    SIDE NOTE: I'll tell you something -- If *I* were a BG (just hypothetically here of course, but don't think I haven't played this one out in my head) and I wanted a gun, I'd simply watch people in front of places with NO GUNS signs in front of them. Sooner or later, you're probably going to see someone going back to his/her car to discretely disarm.

Now I know the person is unarmed - and now I know what's in their car.
    This has not been a problem for me. If there is a sign saying gun-free zone, I go somewhere else. I haven't been to a post office for a long time, either.

I was just at the Tulsa Gun show and there were thousands of cars around the show. I wondered how many of those cars had guns in them...

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Since most employers prohibit guns, the only choice is to leave it in the car. Easy to say you just do not go to gun free places, but what, you never go to a hospital? Never go to a post office? Do not go to work? Never go to a federal building? A National Monument? A court house?

That being said storing a gun in a car when you are not forced to seems to be tempting fate, especially in an apartment complex with a break in problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    I was just at the Tulsa Gun show and there were thousands of cars around the show. I wondered how many of those cars had guns in them...
    Last show I was at, there were lots of uniforms and gun-toters walking around the parking lot. I suspect that anyone breaking into a car would have had some unwanted company in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Since most employers prohibit guns, the only choice is to leave it in the car. Easy to say you just do not go to gun free places, but what, you never go to a hospital? Never go to a post office? Do not go to work? Never go to a federal building? A National Monument? A court house?

That being said storing a gun in a car when you are not forced to seems to be tempting fate, especially in an apartment complex with a break in problem.
    Hospital - 1 mile from home, I can go nekkid, er, uh, unarmed for that distance...gun stays home in safe.
    Post office - same as hospital.
    Work? nope, retired
    Federal building or courthouse - nope, can't remember last time.
    National monument - I plan ahead.

business establishment with gun-free sign - I go somewhere else.

If you built a nifty gun locker in your vehicle, it would be no worries to keep it in there.

Saw a couple of under seat lockers that are bolted to the floor. something to think about...

Certainly better than locking it in your glove box or console.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Get a good lockbox and at least make the thief work to steal your gun if you have to leave on in your car.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links