Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

This is a discussion on Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can't say I found this article interesting or even slightly conclusive. IMO, too many variables. Are the workers previous thieves? Is one an other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

I can't say I found this article interesting or even slightly conclusive. IMO, too many variables. Are the workers previous thieves? Is one an other wise good guy who fell on really hard times and 50 cent made the difference between getting diapers or not? etc, etc. I'm not saying any of this justifies anything but I am saying this half-ass attempt of a 'study' proves only what we already knew: People will take from one another if they feel they can get away with it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I view of the article, i would like to leave a dummy grenade under my seat with the pin zip-tied to the springs.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Nothing scientific at all about the "study" but interesting.

There are so many variables to his research that it ended up proving nothing. Each car wash had a different setting. (was it in view of others?) different employees, etc. He would have had to repeat his experiments 1000's of times to even begin to get any good data, while isolating the many variables involved.

He's lucky a cop didn't show up and write him a ticket for open container.
    Arborigine likes this.

Pretty Innovative Study

I like what these guys have done. It would be interesting to play around with different props, though. What about a baby seat in the rear? Different stickers? There is a moment of consideration before the theft and it'd be interesting to know what factors play a role.

Also, as far as I know, TCU is private. No tax dollars at work there...

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    a little bit of common sense and a lot of BS. SA rules.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    I take my registration (with my address) out of my vehicles when in for servicing or wash. Granted, the expert could figure it out, but the amatures are just that.

Oh, and I never leave my registration on my Harleys. Why make it easy for them.

Edit Add:

- secure any GPS unit you have that can locate where you have been, and specifically your home
    - newer cars with high tech dashboard can be scanned by repairmen or thiefs (be aware) for a lot of your personal data, especially if it has an integrated GPS and Blue Tooth for your smart phone.
    - If you carry a smart phone or computing device, consider getting a PGP level data encryption account which basically takes NSA to crack, and back up your data! The phone is a 'brick' to thiefs and Peace Officers (who can leagally scan all your data at basic traffic stops in most States)
    - Smart Phones - turn off the GPS tags when taking pictures (and don't post them to FaceBook/Social Media when on vacation)
    - Don't draw attention
    mano3 likes this.

Re: Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

I should quit dressing smart and stylish so as not to attract attention. My wife will not understand this, however.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links