Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

This is a discussion on Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Basically, if you 'stand out' somehow, you have a higher chance of being robbed: Study: Reading 'Maxim' Can Make You A Theft Target : NPR...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

Basically, if you 'stand out' somehow, you have a higher chance of being robbed:

Study: Reading 'Maxim' Can Make You A Theft Target : NPR
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Re: Interesting Article on How Thieves may be Targeting Us

Interesting... Not conclusive, but interesting.
    mano3 and minimalbrat like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Might be something to this,I take studies and polls with a grain of salt.What if you left a snake,in a jar,under the seat,instead of a magazine? Would they take your change then? Would they think, "this guy is nuts,just want him gone"?
    atctimmy and msgt/ret like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Like leaving Cheese for Mice............

Wonder what the results would be if you left a holster under the seat or a copy of the latest firearms magazine?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Maybe it has less to do with the particular magazine and the particular TYPE of cans, as opposed to the image of someone who may be less attentive to details such as change missing?

IN other words: If they are too lazy to throw away empty cans and magazines, they might be too lazy to regularly count change or take notice how much is there.

I'd be more interested if different types of cars, magazines, drivers, bumper stickers,...etc affected potential thieves

{PS-I've mentioned a lot how I used to work in the auto service/repair industry. I worked management at two quick-lubes, one had a carwash+detail center with it, there was management for the "lube side" and the "wash side",....it was common practice to vacuum lose coins. Employees would take turns cleaning out the vacuum traps, they kept the coins they found. The management of the carwash side saw it as a incentive to clean the super nasty vacuum traps.}
    msgt/ret and mano3 like this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member
    I wonder what thieves think of petrified french fries and empty 12 gauge shells.....Oh, and some old taco sauce packs too.
    JoJoGunn and mr.stuart like this.

Meh... If you stand out, you may be marked...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

How about when they come across a pistol safe cabled to the seat rails?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Leave some dirty tissues on top of the loose change and see if they bother.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I wonder what thieves think of petrified french fries and empty 12 gauge shells.....Oh, and some old taco sauce packs too.
    Ahh you've seen my truck eh? Well let me tell you, those of us who have those things lying around here and there, wash our own trucks!
    mano3 and atctimmy like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Ahh you've seen my truck eh? Well let me tell you, those of us who have those things lying around here and there, wash our own trucks!
    I am somewhat proud and ashamed to say that my 2003 Nissan Frontier has never been washed (by me, a friend washed it once as a gag.). It only gets mud baths.

VIP Member
    "In a new paper titled "Getting Hosed," Kinkade and fellow researchers Ronald Burns and Michael Bachmann at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth found that there were certain factors that increased the risk of theft."

These guys were most likely conducting this vital, worthwhile research on TCU's dime.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I prefer to stab my K-Bar into a raw steak a few times and make sure to get it good and bloody. Then, I'll even pour some of the cow blood on my floorboard under my seat. Leave a couple copies of the DVD Se7en on the back seat and a few Barbies with missing heads. Guarantee you'll either not get messed with, or make a friend that works at the car wash who has 'similar' interests.

In all reality, there is no repeatability with this test the author runs. If he goes to a different car wash each time, the bigger variable is the people working there and management policies. Not what is left on the seat. For a better test, take a different car to the same car wash three or four times on the same day and dress differently each time.

Well, it's an NPR article so I immediately expect an elitist, quazi-intellectual slant, delivered in a condescending euro-trash accent. As for the experiment, I wonder what the results would reflect if they had used a fake nun driving a Ford Fairmont station wagon with $1 bills stuck in a copy of The Salvation Army's "War Cry" magazine? Our tax dollars likely funded this vital research.
    mano3, l1a1 and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links