Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2 neighbors

This is a discussion on Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2 neighbors within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You can't fix stupid. FayObserver.com - Man cleaning gun in Fayetteville apartment accidentally shoots 2 neighbors...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2 neighbors

Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2 neighbors

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Again, "cleaning gun" is the excuse but playing with it probably is more accurate. It is possible to forget to eject a round from the chamber after dropping the magazine and certain guns require a trigger pull to break down. So it is possible. However, probably not the real reason. Finger on trigger, trigger gets pulled, bullet flies out barrel. Don't put finger on trigger, don't pull trigger, bullet stays in cartridge.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I know everyone makes mistakes but I have zero tolerence for those with no trigger discipline.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Tthe titleof the thread is wrong. It should read:
    Thread: Man cleaning gun Negligently shoots 2 neighbors
    Ksgunner and cybercop106 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member

Re: Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2 neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Tthe titleof the thread is wrong. It should read:
    Thread: Man cleaning gun Negligently shoots 2 neighbors
    IF he was really cleaning it to begin with. I have my doubts.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Reading to the bottom of the linked article, I come across this:

"In a similar incident in Chadbourn in Columbus County last year, a man's rifle discharged in his home. The bullet went through a window into a neighbor's yard, where it struck three people. One of them, a 16-year-old girl, was killed."

So sad...
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Reading to the bottom of the linked article, I come across this:

"In a similar incident in Chadbourn in Columbus County last year, a man's rifle discharged in his home. The bullet went through a window into a neighbor's yard, where it struck three people. One of them, a 16-year-old girl, was killed."

So sad...
    Horrible for the girl, and her family. Very sad indeed. May she RIP.

Also sad, although in a different way, is how they represent the 2a community and constantly add fuel to the antis fire.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Those four simple rules of gun safety really make a difference. It's too bad that more people don't know them.

safetyrules

If you are that stupid you should not own a gun. Instead of a background check maybe they should give an IQ test or a common sense test.

VIP Member
    Always check the condition of any firearm u pick up. U can not be too safe. THINK
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    It is possible to forget to eject a round from the chamber after dropping the magazine and certain guns require a trigger pull to break down. So it is possible. However, probably not the real reason. Finger on trigger, trigger gets pulled, bullet flies out barrel. Don't put finger on trigger, don't pull trigger, bullet stays in cartridge.

As you just stated, you can not disassemble many firearms without pulling the trigger. But you can perform due diligence by visually and physically inspecting the chamber before you pull that trigger.

So whether he was playing with the gun, or truly trying to clean/disassemble it, his negligence is going to cost him in the civil suit. His citation for discharging a firearm inside city limits is probably a $50-$100 fine, but the civil suit will take a chunk of cash out of his butt.

Better bring his Mastercard to court with him.
    goldshellback likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Not one but two nieghbors !!! He's an "IDIOT" im supprised he did'nt shoot himself... I would'nt want him as my nieghbor !! ..... Wonder why ??.... Eddie.

I am totally amazed whenever I hear about someone shooting someone or something "while they were cleaning" their gun! The very first things I was taught about guns as a kid was "treat every gun as if it is loaded" and "never point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot"! Whenever you pick up a gun, check to ensure it is unloaded! I have never yet been able to figure out how you can "clean" a gun if it is loaded! Just how does one go about running a cleaning rod through the barrel if there is a round in the chamber??? I would suspect the idiot was either playing around with it or just plain had a ND, then claimed he was "cleaning" it when it went off because it sounds better than saying "I'm a doofus and was playing around with my gun and it went off because I pulled the trigger when I didn't mean to and I was too stupid to make sure it wasn't loaded before I started screwing around with it and I really shouldn't own a gun because I'm not responsible and adult enough to be trusted with one"!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    A lot of people have been killed with unloaded guns through the years.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Just stupid....

Something that gets me..... These doofuses (specifically the two people in the article) managed to hit multiple people with one negligent, unaimed round fired from thier guns.
    It's scary how accurate their 'unaimed and unintentional' fire is.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links