Bad: Three Year Old Shoots Self

This is a discussion on Bad: Three Year Old Shoots Self within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very little info - happened in the middle of the night, with an unsecured weapon. I'll be curious to hear where he found the gun. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By minimalbrat

Thread: Bad: Three Year Old Shoots Self

Very little info - happened in the middle of the night, with an unsecured weapon. I'll be curious to hear where he found the gun. RIP little guy - my heart breaks over stories like these.

I hate the thought of someone breaking in while we're sleeping and having to fumble with the safe groggy and panicked. But my gun is only ever in 2 places - in my holster on my hip from when I wake up until I go to sleep, or locked in the safe. With five kids in the house, a couple who still don't sleep through the night consistently and climb into bed with me often, I just can't wrap my brain around keeping it unsecured. From the little info given in this case, this is exactly why - because at 3:40am you just don't know if a little one is up and wandering around.

Toddler gets hold of gun, fatally shoots himself

Very sad......

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Re: Bad: Three Year Old Shoots Self

Shame, a crying shame.

I'm glad my kids are grown and out of the house.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    What a nightmare. I agree Lish, when you have little kids in the house you have to be super cautious and weigh the risk.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member
    SO SAD. This is just horrible.

I'm exactly the same way Lish, it's either on my hip or locked in the safe on the headboard.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

With kids in home its very dangerous to keep weapon in home.My grand pa always suggest my dad don't keep any gun at home whenever your kid are younger. It is big risk, it is more dangerous than the any theft incident.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Shame, a crying shame.

I'm glad my kids are grown and out of the house.
    AMEN! When we were kids, we were told to leave the guns alone unless we were supervised. We obeyed. My kids obeyed. My kids were shooting and taught gun safety at a very young age. Safety first (leave them alone), then shooting at about 6 or 7. I guess I was just lucky.

I wonder what has changed...no, I don't.

My heart breaks for the parents. There were guns in the house when I was growing up, I never touched them. There were guns in the house when my children were little, yes they were out of reach. They asked to see them but never bothered them without supervision. I wonder what has changed? Of course we didn't leave them within reach but they never tried to get them either. Are parents leaving the guns within easy reach of kids? Are kids just not listening to directions? Every time I read a story like this I am so sad because of such a needless loss.
    lchamp likes this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    AMEN! When we were kids, we were told to leave the guns alone unless we were supervised. We obeyed. My kids obeyed. My kids were shooting and taught gun safety at a very young age. Safety first (leave them alone), then shooting at about 6 or 7. I guess I was just lucky.

I wonder what has changed...no, I don't.
    Pretty sure the judgement inherent in a 3 yr old hasnt changed in millenia. Or a 2 yr old or a 4 yr old or...??

But sure, you could stick with...they were TAUGHT NOT TO TOUCH IT.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis90 View Post
    With kids in home its very dangerous to keep weapon in home.My grand pa always suggest my dad don't keep any gun at home whenever your kid are younger. It is big risk, it is more dangerous than the any theft incident.
    That's the most ignorant thing I ever heard,Just where are you supposed to keep a gun for Self Defense locked in the trunk of your car? With young kids in the house there are several options to keeping a handgun readily available but secure from curious little hands,thats why when I bought my daughter her M&P9c she got a gun safe with it so she could lock her gun up and with a quick combination have access
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Too sad to comprehend.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links