Bad: Student Shot on School Bus in Miami

This is a discussion on Bad: Student Shot on School Bus in Miami within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very little info given so far - the child was airlifted to the hospital, condition unknown. Lots of unknowns at this point. MIAMI: Miami student ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Student Shot on School Bus in Miami

Very little info given so far - the child was airlifted to the hospital, condition unknown. Lots of unknowns at this point.

MIAMI: Miami student shot on school bus - Florida Wires - MiamiHerald.com

2. Remove Ads

Awful :(

:( she died. She was 13, her younger sibling was on the bus too. It was another student that apparently shot her. Details are still few...
    Girl fatally shot on school bus in Miami-Dade - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Really Bad and non thinkable

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    And yet there will likely be no punishment for the owner of the gun. We'll wait and see.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Cue the usual gun control outrage...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

When a young boy about 9 brought a gun to school here and accidentally shot a classmate, the mother and step-boyfriend were both charged I believe. I dont remember the specific charges and the kid took the gun while being watched by a relative (mother & boyfriend were out of town).

The little girl who was shot survived, barely.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    :( she died. She was 13, her younger sibling was on the bus too. It was another student that apparently shot her. Details are still few...
    Girl fatally shot on school bus in Miami-Dade - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    Prayers out to families......

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    He was showing his gun to other students when it "went off".

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    He was showing his gun to other students when it "went off".
    That is how the antis put it so that the emphasis is on the gun, not the person, and that way it justifies control of the gun tactics.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    That is how the antis put it so that the emphasis is on the gun, not the person, and that way it justifies control of the gun tactics.
    That's because objects are easier to control. It's harder to legislate responsibility or good parenting, although some laws are starting to delve into the latter. Take away the objects of destruction and there will be no more destruction, or such is the claim.

[/soapbox off]

VIP Member
    “It was a kid, you know. But he put on man shoes, now he gonna have to do man time.”
    Gerald Moss

We need the Gulags here in the US for fools who let their imbicile little street urchins run around with firearms like this, and shoot people.
    I'm disgusted with humanity at times.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

What infuriates me most in this story is the boy who had the gun is being charged with manslaughter and having a concealed weapon. Fine. I read he got the gun from the home he shares with his mother. They say it was an accident and no other charges are expected at this time... I've got a huge problem with that. Obviously I don't have a problem with a gun in the home, I certainly have mine. But I do have a problem with a gun being accessible to minors. I can't help but feel the gun owner bears some responsibility here, unless the kid sawed into the safe or such craziness. Maybe she felt her child was old enough she didn't have to worry about him getting it or messing around with it? But obviously he wasn't old/mature enough and was never taught any gun safety. My oldest who is 14 now babysits his siblings a couple hours after school a couple days a week. I've considered having a firearm available to him for self defense if someone tried to break in. But at the end of the day I just can't do it, I know I've read of some teens who successfully defend their home and themselves but with multiple kids in the house I worry more about "young and stupid" and just can't bring myself to do it. I blame the gun owner in this case as much as I do the 15 year old who pulled the trigger.

I'd be willing to bet that had this youth been effectively brought up and trained on firearms safety, handling and usage, at worst we'd be reading about how some kid got expelled for bringing an unloaded firearm to school to show his buddies.

Sad, that an innocent had to pay for his stupidity, and for what's almost assuredly to be the utter lack of training he got at home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links