Gun Store Employee Accidentally Shoots Customer - Page 2

Gun Store Employee Accidentally Shoots Customer

This is a discussion on Gun Store Employee Accidentally Shoots Customer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shot in the back with a .45 and got a 150-mile airlift from Silver City to El Paso and got stabilized....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Gun Store Employee Accidentally Shoots Customer

VIP Member
    Shot in the back with a .45 and got a 150-mile airlift from Silver City to El Paso and got stabilized.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member
    One reason why I try to keep my eyes on anyone handling anywhere I am. Not 100% possible but I don't trust anyone to not sweep me. I would hope the gun shop employees would be able to handle that but you never know. Fortunately, in the gun shops I've been in here in the Portland area, they seem to be extremely careful. But lapses in judgement can occur, if distracted, tired, etc.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Brutal. Hope the gentleman is ok. Guess .45 isn't good enough anymore. Kidding, kidding, no flames!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Kidding, kidding, no flames!
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Muzzle control.... then your finger off the trigger at all times. If he had been watching where the muzzle was and that it was pointed a safe direction, then the customer would have never been shot even if he did have an ND.

I hope the employee is on unemployement now. No excuse for it.
    ep1953 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    My question is why the .45 was ever loaded in the first place! There is absolutely no reason to have a loaded firearm in this situation. Was it the customer's gun and the employee was unloading it for safety reasons? If so, the employee should have been trained in how to take a loaded firearm from another person. This is negligence at its highest and this situation should never occur. As stated by others above, muzzle control and familiarity with that firearm are paramount. Also, in response to an earlier post, I'm not into all the litigation that occurs in our society these days, but maybe this time I would support a law suit.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    You would think that someone who handles guns every day in a gunshop would have some common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    That's one 65 year old customer who's about to get some FREE GUNS and AMMO !!
    That's one customer who may very well get a FREE GUN STORE of his very own.

You'd think a gun store clerk would know to keep his finger off the trigger while unloading a gun!!!???????????

If I was him, even if I didn't sue I'd make 'em at least give me the one he shot me with! That would be quite a keepsake!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe, but not everyone tries to get rich. I knew two people who had ample opportunity to
    sue for megabucks but chose not to.
    I can commend those two people for their self-restraint, but I don't know that I could exercise it. The surgery injury is almost understandable. You're having someone cut into you. There's a potential for problems. The lady who spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonald's? Stupid. But someone at the store shooting me? We're talking about a serious, life-threatening injury, not invited as an acceptable risk of one's chosen activity.

I'd get my medical bills and then some.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I can commend those two people for their self-restraint, but I don't know that I could exercise it. The surgery injury is almost understandable. You're having someone cut into you. There's a potential for problems. The lady who spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonald's? Stupid. But someone at the store shooting me? We're talking about a serious, life-threatening injury, not invited as an acceptable risk of one's chosen activity.

I'd get my medical bills and then some.

^^^I'm in this camp here^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doctor goofs, he @ least pays off my house, and covers something.

But this, and the ins. co. for the GS has to cover all medical, and pain and suffering($25,000-50,000),& wage loss at least to the tune of$1000-2000 per week until back to work, or if retired, $500-1000 a week until up and around.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links