Reminder - Don't let strangers distract you...

This is a discussion on Reminder - Don't let strangers distract you... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shoppers warned to beware of sneaky thieves on Black Friday :: WRAL.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Reminder - Don't let strangers distract you...

Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    In Raleigh, for example, police have responded to 12 reports of wallets stolen from shopping carts in the past 60 days.
    Makes one wonder what the wallet/purse is doing lying there in the cart. Being an easier mark, of course. Doesn't seem a difficult concept, but some (like the lady in the article) don't seem to have gotten it yet. Well, she's gotten it now.

Pickpocketing instances also goes up, during the "season" when more folks tend to have cash/cards with them.

Keep your wits about you. Keep your eyes on your stuff. Don't get easily distracted by strangers. Be discreet, under the "radar" (particularly with wallet, purse, cash).

Good reminder, though. (Thanks, lady.)

* As for the thieves, it's entirely likely, if they made 7+ purchases via the stolen card in a mall, they were recorded doing so. Had a roommate long ago who opted to steal the cards/ID of another roommate, and he then proceeded to go on a spending spree in shop after shop that had videocam coverage. He was stopped at one when the card came up closed/canceled, evaded capture, but was tracked down via all those recordings of him. Amazing what $10K+ in purchases will do for your "desirability" (by the law).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Basic SA...I like to think I'm aware of others around me. I'm so paranoid that I don't even carry a wallet.

i see all the time while shopping with my wife, purse in the front of the cart, opened up where you can see wallet and cell phone and the lady has her back to it 10 feet away squatting down to get something off a shelf. and then they wonder why there stuff get lifted???????????????

I vstay away on black friday,if i happen top be out and about it wont be near any shopping areas,i can do without the challenge to my self controll.
    The easy way is always mined.

My wife and I were shopping in Chicago and I was amazed at my wife not noticing the guy continuing to follow her through the women's shoe section. She was oblivious, and he was obvious.

What amazed me more was his oblivity to me watching it all from 15'... I stepped in when he got close enough to try something and he quickly left. Being Chicago he has nothing to fear as a criminal, so why not I guess...

He was just waiting for her to sit down and try on a pair I guess.

Be careful everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    i see all the time while shopping with my wife, purse in the front of the cart, opened up where you can see wallet and cell phone and the lady has her back to it 10 feet away squatting down to get something off a shelf. and then they wonder why there stuff get lifted???????????????
    My wife and I see this a lot. A few days ago the wife saw a cart with the purse sitting open, money sticking out. She said in a loud voice that someone was going to take your money. A lady about 10 ft away came over and thanked her, but her face was red as everyone was lookiing at her.

Rule #1: Stay away from Black Friday shopping days.
    Rule #2: Always refer to Rule #1.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After I left the Marine Corps, and before I started working as a LEO, I worked at Best Buy for almost 2years. Surprised me how oblivious some people are, and how brazen some are. I worked 2 Black Fridays there, people lose their minds.
    goldshellback likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm one of those that's bad about my bag in the cart. I'm usually right there in front of the cart but I'll catch myself taking a step or two away from it to get something off a shelf. I never carry cash but it's still a horrible thing to do. That's actually one reason why I don't purse carry - I'm just not careful enough with my purse (purse snatching while walking is the other big reason) I really should just ditch the purse altogether and start carrying a wallet in my pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    ... I'm just not careful enough with my purse (purse snatching while walking is the other big reason) I really should just ditch the purse altogether and start carrying a wallet in my pocket...
    Exactly why Mrs Pockets hasn't carried a purse for years. Unfortunately, that usually means I'm stuck with the sunglasses indoors and the clear glasses outdoors. All my pockets are beginning to get stretched out from carrying her extra stuff.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Men's pockets are so much better for holding stuff. I only wear men's pants/shorts to work so I'll have bigger pockets. I'm just fashion conscious enough I can't bring myself to do it on non work days...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Funny, my wife will walk away from her purse but yell at me if I then walk away.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Re: Reminder - Don't let strangers distract you...

When I see folks walking along while staring at the their whatever device I just assume they are reading DefensiveCarry in preparation for some unforseen, unlikely, but possible event.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    Last edited by Doghandler; November 25th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Re: Reminder - Don't let strangers distract you...

Every time I go to the grocery store, the majority of women I see have their purse in the cart, wide open and the cash sitting in it is completely visible jjust by walking past their cart. I just don't get some people and gave up trying to. :D
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links