My war story...

My war story...

This is a discussion on My war story... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There I was, no sh:D... I am an Indiana CCW permit holder and have been since about 1990. Around 1995(I think), I was a college ...

Thread: My war story...

My "war story'...

There I was, no sh:D...

I am an Indiana CCW permit holder and have been since about 1990. Around 1995(I think), I was a college student at IU-Indianapolis, and worked part-time as an armed security officer.

Well, one fine day in my quiet Northwestside neighborhood, my beat up car decided to die in the middle of the street as I was backing it out of the driveway to go to work to a plain clothes security detail. Already running a bit late, and now having to deal with a car that was acting up, I was not in a Mister Rogers kind of mood.

As I started to push and steer the car to the side of the road, a car comes up behind me. Even though he could clearly see me pushing the car to get it out of the way, for some reason he just couldn\'t resist the urge to give me a long, loud P/O\'ed honk as soon as he was able to get past me. It was stupid I know, but without thinking I yelled \"F U!!\" in response. He screeched the tires in stopping, put the car in park, and I saw him lean over toward the passenger side and fish around for a couple seconds.

He jumped out of the vehicle and started stomping toward me in a very threatening manner and yells to me, \"What the F :O did you say?!?\" from about 40 feet away as he continued to stomp torward me. I never saw a weapon, but everything about his actions told me he was armed and willing to go all the way. I had both my Taurus PT99 with Ramline 18 round mags tucked into a Galco RH Belt slide holster, and my security badge in a belt clip holder. Maintaining cover in the corner of the door/car frame, I pulled the badge holder off my belt with my left hand, and established a firing grip on my pistol with my right. I thrust the badge holder out in front of me and said in my best Marine Corps Drill Field voice, \"Get back in your car, or go to jail!\" He stopped and immediately turned around, got in his car and left. There is no doubt in my mind that having that badge saved me from having to kill him in a gunfight. Everything about his demeanor told me that he intended to kill me for \"dissin'him.\"

Lessons learned:
    - Kill your Ego and STFU!! You loose the \"right\" to mouth off, no matter what the reason/how stressed you are, as soon as you strap on a firearm. Kill the Orcs with Kindness; *try* to save your bullets for the range!
    - Use small $ to save BIG $$! A cheapo $5 badge can save you from the legal nightmare of having to defend yourself after defending yourself. There are several companies that sell \"Concealed Weapons Permit\" badges. Of course I am NOT advocating trying to pass yourself off as a LEO. I tried to be very careful in the wording I used when confronting him. I *did not* say I was a LEO; I merely gave him two locations that I would prefer him to be; back in his car(and on his merry way) or at the county lockup, a place I am sure he has been before. I let him ASS-U-ME :P whatever he wanted to assume.
    - Cover!! He foolishly stepped away from his car to try to intimidate me. This was on a street with big front yards and no other cars or other cover close by. By doing so, he gave every tactical advantage to me. Had it turned into a gunfight, there would have been very little chance for him to *not* have become ambient temperature.
    - Practice!! Because of LOTS! of draw and dryfire practice, I had my hand instantly locked onto my weapon in a good firing grip. Only his prudent actions kept him from seeing its not-so-friendly side.

Comments? Critiques?

Be Smart, Stay Safe!
    Last edited by Administrator; January 22nd, 2005 at 12:21 AM.

Great post. And something I too have to be vigilant about. The Ego part. Great post...

~A:kay:

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    nacho\'s

Sponsored Links